Options

CS I really don't like the Hayley storyline

Comments

• Options
    ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    agree also,ive stopped watching it as i am going through this is real life with my wonderful sister so i don't find watching it on screen as well particularly enjoyable,
    i stopped watching this last week and wont also watch until its over,its funny because ive stopped watching Emmerdale too because of the long winded storyline with Cameron -i use tv for escapism and i find some of the subjects acted out in the soaps not enjoyable anymore :(

Thats it people watch soaps presumabley to be entertained and I can't think why going through this whole process with Hayley from diagnosis to death is in any way entertaining. I think I will be giving the story line a wide birth as I find cancer storylines very distressing and don't wish to watch it as entertainment. Very sorry to hear your family is going through a similar situation.
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry for anyone who has/had a loved one or has cancer themselves.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    As soon as I heard Julie Hesmondhalgh was leaving, my immediate thought was that Corrie would have an opportunity to write a really gripping storyline in which she dies of an illness.
    It will be heartwrenching, but that is good because it will mean high drama and memorable TV.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fruitbased wrote: »
    Indeed. Moreover six months can be relatively quick. People live for years with zero to miniscule hope of recovery, admittedly not with pancreatic cancer.

Of course it is a difficult storyline but there is no logic in bringing up Alma's story, in that this has 'been done before'. If anything, cancer will always be under-represented in soaps because it is so difficult and consuming to get right. Corrie appears to be off to a great start based on last week's episodes, and what a trio of actors they have in R., H. and S., to document and make some sort of sense of the reality of the disease.

Bib: Not in Home & Away!
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Of course it's terribly sad and will be very hard to watch, especially for those (probably most) of us who have been affected by the loss of a loved one at some point, but I think it is right and essential that the story is being told over a relatively long period.

In real life, people diagnosed with cancer then have to live with it until they are either cured or they pass away. Neither scenario happens within a couple of weeks, (except very rarely). All credit to Corrie for taking the realistic route.

I very much agree with that. I think it is much more hurtful and insulting to those who are either suffering with / have suffered from Cancer or have had a close friend or member of their family do so (which is, sadly, probably most people of adult age) to have someone die very quickly (and often prettily) of it on screen. It does usually take months if not longer.

I do appreciate that some people won't be able to cope with it - a friend of mine literally had to stop reading certain tabloids in 2008 because her father was dying of terminal Cancer at the same time as Jade Goody and she couldn't deal with having a celebrities death from Cancer being laid out in the tiniest details whilst she was living it at home - but to a certain extent that is true of most soap plots - there will be people watching with direct and recent experience of it. For myself, they ran the Cancer / Euthanasia plotline in Brookside at the same time that we were nursing my Grandfather at home in the last stages of Lung and Brain cancer. It was hard at points but it did help you feel you weren't alone - and immensely grateful that we were getting more help from MacMillan Nurses etc than they appeared to be.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as I heard Julie Hesmondhalgh was leaving, my immediate thought was that Corrie would have an opportunity to write a really gripping storyline in which she dies of an illness.
    It will be heartwrenching, but that is good because it will mean high drama and memorable TV.

I have known three people who have died from pancreatic cancer, and not one of them lasted more than two months after diagnosis. Hayley has a grade two cancer I am surprised she is going to die in December and not earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    In real life, people diagnosed with cancer then have to live with it until they are either cured or they pass away. Neither scenario happens within a couple of weeks, (except very rarely). All credit to Corrie for taking the realistic route.

This isn't true actually, lots of people die from cancer very quickly after diagnosis.

My dad bless him was fit as a lop playing golf the day before his diagnosis at a relatively young age. He died just 3 weeks later. This is the nature of lung cancer, its insidious and is rarely found until its too late.

I know at least 6 people who died within a month of diagnosis so imo its pretty common.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    I'm glad they're doing it, but just know I'm not going to be able to watch it.

its gonna be sad, with Christmas as well :(
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    I agree with everything that has been said here, it is a horrible way to have Hayley or anyone else leave what is only a soap after all. It will be a miserable, long drawn out and painful affair I'm sure but they will never do justice to just how staggeringly traumatic and excruitiating an experience it is to go through for both the person involved and their nearest and dearest. I know, having gone through it myself with one of my own family. It's not light entertainment/ drama, it's the real thing. It's enough to make anyone have a nervous breakdown.
    Though of course people die in this terrible way all the time, it is much too much to ask of corrie to handle sensitively.
    I think it also has called such an abrupt end to the life of a much loved and wonderful,warm character who had so much more to give. It's so sad that they've chosen to have her fade away onscreen so quickly and it is going to be too uncomfortable viewing for me and everyone else who knows what the disease is all about.
    Terrible for anyone who have loved ones with cancer and for the people themselves, can you imagine?

Lot to take on board Corrie and your record of dealing with very personal issues has not always been even ''average' lately.
    If this story is handled well the full credit will go to the actors, Stephanie Cole, Julie Hesmondhaigh and David Neilson alone.

I am very sorry to hear you've gone through this with your own family member, and I agree 100% with you on all you've said here. I fully sympathise with you, and I know exactly what you mean by how excruciating and traumatic it is, as I lost my Nan to it a couple of years ago. In fact, she turned out similar to what Hayley is doing, went to get something checked on, they found a lump, which had actually started somewhere else and they could do nothing:(. Within a frighteningly short space of time, my nan changed completely, almost unrecognisable to what she was just months earlier, and she died just 3 months later, a week before Christmas, with all the family gathered around her bed:cry:. Having seen that first hand in reality, I have no desire whatsoever to watch it played out on a soap, its too close to home, especially if Hayley is going to die at Christmas, I really don't think I can face it. I watch soaps for some evening entertainment, not to see someone act out being so ill and dying for the sake of a storyline on tv, knowing full well that they can just jump up fine and dandy when the camera stops rolling, and all those around can simply wipe the fake tears away then have a party on a job well done, whereas in reality there's no such choice and it doesn't end with someone shouting cut, that's a wrap. Surely they could have found a less depressing way for Hayley to leave, and who really is going to want to watch that at Christmas of all times?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ursula321 wrote: »
    Thats it people watch soaps presumabley to be entertained and I can't think why going through this whole process with Hayley from diagnosis to death is in any way entertaining. I think I will be giving the story line a wide birth as I find cancer storylines very distressing and don't wish to watch it as entertainment.

I agree with you, it's not entertainment at all. Just depressing, and going to be dragged out by the sounds of it. Such depressing storylines in soaps nowadays. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your kind words Collywobbles, I didn't want to say really but it was actually my father that went in this way a few years ago now and the memories of it are still incredibly vivid so I know exactly what you mean when you're talking about your Gran and I totally sympathise. It sounds very much like my own experience and I really do have the knot in my stomach there still when I recollect what happened. I was so upset and distressed at the time I actually started hallucinating without any alcohol or drugs I might add. It's a terrible thing and so relevant to so many of us who've had this happen that I think personally it'll just be too upsetting for me to watch.
    I think you've said it so well there about how for the sake of a storyline they're happy for us to have to go through this trauma in the knowledge that it's not real anyway. It is too close to home and it is too depressing for no other reason other than to put us through the mill. Awful to have it happen at Christmas as well, particularly when we need to have a bit of joy and cheer and something to smile about, i agree. And with poor Hayley it'll really seem like it is a family member. Not happy about this at all. Hopefully we can find something happier to watch nearer the time:)
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister is currently battling cancer. I usually insist on watching soaps at Xmas but won't ask my family to watch Coronation Street with Hayley dying of cancer at Xmas. It's too close to home.
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    Thanks for your kind words Collywobbles, I didn't want to say really but it was actually my father that went in this way a few years ago now and the memories of it are still incredibly vivid so I know exactly what you mean when you're talking about your Gran and I totally sympathise. It sounds very much like my own experience and I really do have the knot in my stomach there still when I recollect what happened. I was so upset and distressed at the time I actually started hallucinating without any alcohol or drugs I might add. It's a terrible thing and so relevant to so many of us who've had this happen that I think personally it'll just be too upsetting for me to watch.
    I think you've said it so well there about how for the sake of a storyline they're happy for us to have to go through this trauma in the knowledge that it's not real anyway. It is too close to home and it is too depressing for no other reason other than to put us through the mill. Awful to have it happen at Christmas as well, particularly when we need to have a bit of joy and cheer and something to smile about, i agree. And with poor Hayley it'll really seem like it is a family member. Not happy about this at all. Hopefully we can find something happier to watch nearer the time:)

Thank you for your kind words, I am so sorry you've had to go through this too, its the most horrific thing to see happen to someone you love, and the images you see during such a time burn in your mind forever. I know exactly what you mean about getting a knot in your stomach, I do whenever I think of my Gran, and I still haven't got to the stage of remembering her as she was, whenever I think of her, all I see is all the family sat around, waiting the inevitable, with the snow falling softly outside, and Christmas decorations on and in the surrounding houses, a stark contrast to the deathly silence and sombre feeling in the house we were sat in. She only lived 3 doors from me, but I find it incredibly difficult to go in the house, and I plain can't go in her room. Corrie should find another exit, what their planning is too close too home, for far too many people. Its not in the slightest bit 'entertainment', nor even watchable tv, all its going to do is drag up heartbreaking reminders for anyone whose in any way, shape or form, been affected - all in the name of a soap storyline and ratings:mad:.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's just me, or maybe I'm just heartless, but I have no problem with this storyline. In fact I've started watching Corrie again because I think it's going to be very well acted and handled sensitively.

Less than a year ago I lost my Nanny to cancer so I do know what it's like and I personally don't see a problem with a soap tackling it as long as its handled right. If it turns into a farce then I will stop watching again.

Soaps are supposed to reflect reality, I know they don't tend to these days, as the Corrie suspension of reality thread proves, but unfortunately cancer is a reality these days. And unfortunately good people who deserve better can get it and can die. My Nanny deserved many more years, she deserved to see some of her grandchildren get married, and my Grampy deserved to have his wife by his side but it wasn't to be.
  • Options
    cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem with the storyline as soaps are, somewhat, to be a reflection of reality and, sadly, terminal cancer is a part of that.

I do, however, have a problem with the fact CS are cheapening the story by making it their Christmas ratings winner.
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've stopped watching and I won't go back until the storyline's over.

I've seen it quite enough in real life, I don't want to watch one of my favourite characters go through it too & revisit all the trauma. It's actually great to be able to avoid it with the 'off' button.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem with the storyline as soaps are, somewhat, to be a reflection of reality and, sadly, terminal cancer is a part of that.

I do, however, have a problem with the fact CS are cheapening the story by making it their Christmas ratings winner.

I don't see it like that. I see it as an iconic character being given a memorable exit, which will be compounded by the time of year that it happened. It's no less than the wonderful Hayley and Julie Hesmondhalgh deserve.
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »
    My sister is currently battling cancer. I usually insist on watching soaps at Xmas but won't ask my family to watch Coronation Street with Hayley dying of cancer at Xmas. It's too close to home.

im soo sorry cuddly_Cat that your sister is going through cancer like mine,i also don't want to watch it at Xmas as my sis has also got secondary cancer at only 46 so to me that is far to close to home to what the character Hayley is going through like you think too,sending you lots of love and anyone else suffering on here too :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I turn my television on for light entertainment.We don't need this. it is simply too harrowing for those living with it and families who have lost a love one in this way
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i'm not keen on the Croppers bit this storyline has me teary watching it :(
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adhoc wrote: »
    I turn my television on for light entertainment.We don't need this. it is simply too harrowing for those living with it and families who have lost a love one in this way
    Oh please!

Loads of sad things happen in the soaps, and indeed Corrie did a terminal cancer storyline in 2000 with Alma dying, which was tremendously moving but also increased awareness of smear testing. Soaps reflect real life and should stir many emotions from positive to negative. If you really can't distinguish between reality and fiction, or understand that sad as it is, cancer is a real thing that affects quite a lot of people, you shouldn't own a TV.

It's tragically sad yes, especially for someone like Hayley to be struck with it. But many people lose loved ones who are tremendous human beings to this illness and it is no more tragic than being hit by a bus/dying in a tram crash/murdered etc. And as has been reported, Julie wanted Hayley to be killed off because there would be no other justifiable reason for her to leave Roy as they are so deeply in love. Other than axing Roy, they had to draw their story to a conclusion, and how better to do it than a beautiful, heartbreaking farewell between them. I have no doubt it will make people cry, but I also have no doubt it will be a tour de force of acting and a true classic soap storyline which will go down in the history books.

It's like saying they shouldn't have aired the domestic abuse storyline because battered wives/husbands would find it uncomfortable, or they shouldn't have aired scenes of murder because some people know people who've been murdered, or Carla's rape storyline because some people have been or know people who've been raped.

Just leave it out, if you're too soft to cope with an emotional storyline stop watching til it's over. I for one will watch and probably cry and be genuinely moved and touched by the depth of love and emotion shown between what is surely one of soap's all time best couples as their story comes to an end.

Sick of reading about people saying they can't handle the storyline. Fair enough - but no one cares, just stop watching! :rolleyes:

(And just in case anyone jumps on me, a member of my family had breast cancer twice and very nearly lost her life to it, so I know full well the emotional impact of cancer, thanks.)
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    im soo sorry cuddly_Cat that your sister is going through cancer like mine,i also don't want to watch it at Xmas as my sis has also got secondary cancer at only 46 so to me that is far to close to home to what the character Hayley is going through like you think too,sending you lots of love and anyone else suffering on here too :)

My sister died at age 48 with liver cancer. My dad died aged 60 with lung cancer and both of them suffered badly with pain. I cannot watch Corrie at the moment.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    Oh please!

Loads of sad things happen in the soaps, and indeed Corrie did a terminal cancer storyline in 2000 with Alma dying, which was tremendously moving but also increased awareness of smear testing. Soaps reflect real life and should stir many emotions from positive to negative. If you really can't distinguish between reality and fiction, or understand that sad as it is, cancer is a real thing that affects quite a lot of people, you shouldn't own a TV.

It's tragically sad yes, especially for someone like Hayley to be struck with it. But many people lose loved ones who are tremendous human beings to this illness and it is no more tragic than being hit by a bus/dying in a tram crash/murdered etc. And as has been reported, Julie wanted Hayley to be killed off because there would be no other justifiable reason for her to leave Roy as they are so deeply in love. Other than axing Roy, they had to draw their story to a conclusion, and how better to do it than a beautiful, heartbreaking farewell between them. I have no doubt it will make people cry, but I also have no doubt it will be a tour de force of acting and a true classic soap storyline which will go down in the history books.

It's like saying they shouldn't have aired the domestic abuse storyline because battered wives/husbands would find it uncomfortable, or they shouldn't have aired scenes of murder because some people know people who've been murdered, or Carla's rape storyline because some people have been or know people who've been raped.

Just leave it out, if you're too soft to cope with an emotional storyline stop watching til it's over. I for one will watch and probably cry and be genuinely moved and touched by the depth of love and emotion shown between what is surely one of soap's all time best couples as their story comes to an end.

Sick of reading about people saying they can't handle the storyline. Fair enough - but no one cares, just stop watching! :rolleyes:

(And just in case anyone jumps on me, a member of my family had breast cancer twice and very nearly lost her life to it, so I know full well the emotional impact of cancer, thanks.)

I don't agree with you at all!
    For a start I would have thought that Hayley would be feeling ill if she has cancer. She looks too healthy to me. So that isn't true to life. Anyone who has health problems in that region of your body would be feeling very under the weather, if not in pain!
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    I don't have a problem with the storyline but, I will be posting venomous posts if bliddy Fizz somehow gets elevated to centre stage like she did with Kirsty and Tyrone.
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    People seem to accept murders and rapes as part of soap make up but cancer is too shocking.