I think my cat has been stung by a bee!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
Forum Member
Although I didn't see the event, I'm pretty sure the little dafty has been trying to play with a bee ... and the bee has obviously objected!

His chin is all swollen (he looks a bit like Desperate Dan at the moment!) and one of his paws is swollen too although I'm not too sure how he managed to get stung twice as I thought bees could only sting once!

I rang the out of hours vet & they just said to keep an eye on him for the next few hours but I just wondered if anyone knew of anything that I could maybe rub onto his chin & his paw to stop them from itching so badly as he's scratching at them for all he's worth!

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LooWheeze wrote: »
    I thought bees could only sting once!

Most bees can sting you many times, only a small percentage of the species die after they sting once.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I never knew that (probably because I'm not a fan of small flying creatures!) Would certainly explain the 2 different swollen sites.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I never knew that (probably because I'm not a fan of small flying creatures!) Would certainly explain the 2 different swollen sites.

I think bees are fascinating creatures in many ways, like how they are able to fly with such tiny wings in relation to their weight and the way they bounce from plant to plant, anyway sorry to get off topic :D

Have you tried something like calamine lotion? I would have thought your vet would be able to recommend you something?
    Forum Member
    Vet just said to bathe it with a weak solution of bicarbonate of soda, which I have done but he was still scratching like mad!

I've now been to the local pet shop & they gave me a skin calming cream which seems to have helped a bit.

His chin & his paw are still really puffy though but I do think it's started to go down a bit. Hopefully he will have learned that bees are not good playmates!!
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat is forever chasing bees and wasps in the garden. My fear is that she too will get stung so am reading this thread with interest in case I ever need to treat her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had the "Desparate Dan" jaw when one of our cats got stung but there is little you can do. If the swelling causes any problems such as the cat can't or wont eat then the vet will need to see it. Our cat acted as if nothing had happend and not only chomped down his food but the pillock went out in to the garden the next day and had to be rescued form two wasps that did not seem to want to be a part of the cat's football game. After a few days his jaw was ok but his brain remained as scramled as it always was.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    All of my cats have had the desperate dan chin or swollen paw from the bee/wasp sting when they were young. They only did it once, after that they learned respect.

My tortoiseshell cat used to reguarly carry bumblebees in her mouth. She would make excited squealy noises with her mouth slightly open and you could see the bee inside her mouth:eek: They never stung her, so I assume she was very gentle and let them go....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Vet just said to bathe it with a weak solution of bicarbonate of soda, which I have done but he was still scratching like mad!

I've now been to the local pet shop & they gave me a skin calming cream which seems to have helped a bit.

His chin & his paw are still really puffy though but I do think it's started to go down a bit. Hopefully he will have learned that bees are not good playmates!!

Unfortunately, in my experience anyway, cats are stupid and never learn from their mistakes. Good job he didn't eat the bee whilst it was still alive :eek::D
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't bet on it. My friend's cat has got stung on the lips several times and never learnt his lesson. He kind of ends up the victor though since he generally eats the wasp or bee.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can cats see yellow? The whole reason why wasps, bees and hornets are yellow and black is that it is a big "Don't even try to eat me, sunshine" signal.
    Forum Member
    Oh dear ... I had been hoping that he would learn his lesson & Saturday's event would be a one-off. Sadly though, I agree with those who have said that he won't learn ... he was chasing another one around on Sunday but thankfully did not catch it this time!

At least I know what to do next time it happens ... in all the years I've had cats I've never had one that's been stung before & I just didn't have a clue!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a swollen paw once, kept a close eye on it and it went down ok in a day or two.