Oink!

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
Forum Member
A revolution in reading for me at the age of 12 - my Dad could never understand why I bought it - they gave a free promo issue with Buster, I was shocked by some of the content - how times change. Anyway I bought the first 35 issues or so - anyone else have fond memories of Uncle Pigg, Mary Lighthouse, Pete & His Pimple, Burp, Harry The Head and Tom Thug.....I used to love the fact each issue was different - Uncle Pigg goes on holiday and they leave a skeleton staff to run the issue (actual skeletons who cock it up)

It ran for 68 issues from May 1986-October 1988...I still have mine in the attic

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My brother had Oink! delivered and I used to borrow it.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, all of mine are still in my loft, too! Think I had the entire run barring the first couple of issues as I first saw it at a mates house... think my first issue was the one with the free "make your own stickers" thing on the front... ah, all the Pig-related joke names...

Older brothers pointed out at the time that it was like Viz for kids! :D
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    OMG! I used to love oink.
    I used to play the free record of Uncle Pigs rap all the time.

Have a looksy http://www.notbbc.netmx.co.uk/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OINK-SONG-RAP-45-TAPE/dp/B0055SGX6C/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1317056614&sr=1-4
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I used to like OINK'S "Mary Lighthouse" a vicious parody of a certain
    UK moral crusader. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »

Excellent!

Issue 12, pg10 - is "Snatcher Sam" Mark Riley?? (as in Mark and Lard, The Fall etc...)
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Oink. I mainly remember it as being a VIZ rip - off.
    And all the other ones too.
    Do you notice that Viz is the only one still going ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Oink. I mainly remember it as being a VIZ rip - off.
    And all the other ones too.
    Do you notice that Viz is the only one still going ?

Viz is an adult comic, Oink was for kids. How is that a rip-off? They were for totally different markets. That's like saying, I dunno, Match is a rip of of Four Four Two or vice versa...

There were more direct rips of Viz for the same market, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Oink was superb. Roger Rental, Frank Sidebottom, Ham Dare (which was particularly brilliant for so many reasons), the photo stories, etc. Hilarious as a kid, and still funny to me today.

It sat proudly alongside my collection of Marvel UK titles - I think I've still got the Christmas Annual somewhere too. Must dig it out when I get chance. Thanks for reminding me!

Viz was alright, but although I was at the age of sneaking peeks at the adult sexy mags, I just thought the humour in Viz was a bit too crude for my tastes. Fair play for the Profanisaurus though - kept me going through Uni and many a stag do.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never read the comic - but I had the Spectrum game for some reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    A bit of triv for "Oink!" fans:artists/ writers included TV satirist Charlie Brooker and Marc "The Boy Lard" Riley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagsbunny wrote: »
    A bit of triv for "Oink!" fans:artists/ writers included TV satirist Charlie Brooker and Marc "The Boy Lard" Riley.

Thought so! (see post 6) :)
  • Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Brooker couldn't have been very old at the time. I'm 35 and remember getting the comic while at primary school, I thought it was amazing.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    ... think my first issue was the one with the free "make your own stickers" thing on the front...
    I think that was issue No 2 - stickers to put onto badges.
    Also my first issue...

I had the preview issue, then all of them from no 2 (including the annuals & holiday specials). I wrote to them asking where I could get number 1 as it was missing from my colelction and they sent it to me - including the flexi disc on the cover!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    A revolution in reading for me at the age of 12 - my Dad could never understand why I bought it - they gave a free promo issue with Buster, I was shocked by some of the content - how times change. Anyway I bought the first 35 issues or so - anyone else have fond memories of Uncle Pigg, Mary Lighthouse, Pete & His Pimple, Burp, Harry The Head and Tom Thug.....I used to love the fact each issue was different - Uncle Pigg goes on holiday and they leave a skeleton staff to run the issue (actual skeletons who cock it up)

It ran for 68 issues from May 1986-October 1988...I still have mine in the attic

"I used to love the fact every issue was different" The Dandy to the exact same thing now, and it's better that it. So there. Please don't shoot me down.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it. I collected around 30 issues but had to give up a few titles as I was getting skint from the 5 comic titles I was already subscribing (Eagle, 2000AD, Battle, Dr.Who Monthly and Warrior)
    Still have them stored away including the free gifts. Loved the free flexi-disc from the first issue and the stacatto song that lent itself to Grandmaster Flash's The Message:
    "Don't eat pigs 'cuz they're made of ham, eat that nasty butcher man..Uh-hu-hu-Huh!":cool:
  • MaisieMooMooMaisieMooMoo Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a Facebook group for OINK, the writers are on it too, lots of links to re live those glorious times.
  • David_Robinson1David_Robinson1 Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone else have fond memories of Uncle Pigg, Mary Lighthouse... Tom Thug..

Yes, I agree that Oink was underrated and I tried to write for it (started well but tailed off!) What happened was, in the VIZ era, sales of IPC's other comics nosedived. Oink was packaged by a group headed by Tony Husband, who draws no end of cartoons, including YOBS in Private Eye. Tom Thug artist Lew Stringer has an excellent comics blog online - Dave
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember the issue with the 'skeleton staff'. That one was hilarious, especially when Uncle Pigg comes back from holiday and sees the mess that has been made of things. When the skeletons apologise and offer to put things right, he roars "Don't bother! You're fired!" at them and they promptly disintegrate. Uncle Pigg then sweeps up their remains and reassures readers that things will be back to normal in the next issue.

There was one Roger Rental (He's Completely Mental!) strip I recall where he's a DJ at a disco. A punter comes up and says "Lay some heavy rock on me, man" - a gigantic boulder then falls down from the roof and flattens him.

Wind in the Willows is another I remember. A three-panel strip which took the title literally: it was about a tree breaking wind!