Kevin Bacon's EE ads

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    I'm fed up of seeing the Puss In Boots sight/hearing impaired ad.

Its quite amusing hearing mumbles in the theatre from people who genuinely think that the sound has gone.

I dislike the IMAX advert that my cinema insists on showing before every film, regardless of the screen. It's misleading, the amount of times i've heard people say "oh, so this is IMAX?" when they're in a normal screen is staggering.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    i agree about the links, the six degrees of bacon, they don't work. i'm sure with a bit of effort they could have come up with something better/clever/funny.

i know he's older now, it isn't that he looks older, it's that he just looks kind of tired.. especially, as someone pointed out, in the one where he's playing older characters.

This is one of the examples...."Helen Daniels from Neighbours always breaking her hip, unlike Jedward who are always joined at the hip".

Sorry but that's just shit.:D
    It's just rubbish.

These links based upon six degrees of Kevin Bacon are abysmally poor.
    Is it seriously that difficult to hire a writer who could write some actual links which link things together quite nicely?
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of the examples...."Helen Daniels from Neighbours always breaking her hip, unlike Jedward who are always joined at the hip".

Sorry but that's just shit.:D
    It's just rubbish.

These links based upon six degrees of Kevin Bacon are abysmally poor.
    Is it seriously that difficult to hire a writer who could write some actual links which link things together quite nicely?

I think some people are taking these a little too seriously.
    As film fans, as I'm sure most of us are, we get what Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is....
    But these are commercials designed to appeal to the masses by cramming as many pop-culture references in as possible.
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safe to say he probably doesn't have the slightest clue what he's saying in those ads.

The British actor James Purefoy was interviewed on Radio Four about a month ago. He said that he was working with Kevin Bacon when he got the scripts for the EE commercials. Kevin Bacon asked him to explain the background and the connections, so he must understand it to a certain extent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some people are taking these a little too seriously.
    As film fans, as I'm sure most of us are, we get what Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is....
    But these are commercials designed to appeal to the masses by cramming as many pop-culture references in as possible.

It's not that I'm taking them seriously. It's that I think they're shit.

If they bothered to make proper links as in The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon they could actually be quite funny and entertaining.
    Just throwing out any old pop culture references without trying to do it in a clever and entertaining way is just lazy and a bit rubbish.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I like the latest one with the different KB's ("Apollo 13, Footloose, Hollow Man") :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that I'm taking them seriously. It's that I think they're shit.

If they bothered to make proper links as in The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon they could actually be quite funny and entertaining.
    Just throwing out any old pop culture references without trying to do it in a clever and entertaining way is just lazy and a bit rubbish.

That's my point......the wider audience are not movie geeks so the links would be uninteresting to them.
    EE want to appeal to the larger public who would buy into more general pop culture references. To them...the ads probably are clever and entertaining.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listened to Loose Ends on Radio 4 Extra and Clive Anderson interviewed James Purefoy, Kevin Bacon's co star in The Following. Purefoy who was obviously promoting the new series said that Bacon asked him what Hollyoaks was about. Purefoy just said that he informed that it was a popular soap in Britain. I find that quite amusing when imagining what Purefoy really said to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, they really bug me now! The first time i had the obvious 'oh, the sound's gone' reaction but now the repetitive nature of them is grating.

I actually like the Kevin Bacon cinema ad (even though i said he looks pretty terrible in that one) as it's calling back to some of his many characters, it's quite clever, it's not the usual EE/Orange thing.

I also like the Hitchcock 'turn off your phone' clip for a change as opposed to the usual Orange ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Still a fine actor though. Been in some great movies.

i just know 2 of them :D

Footloose and Flatliners
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Been watching him on the new American series THe Following excellent stuff indeed.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like them and they are very memorable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's my point......the wider audience are not movie geeks so the links would be uninteresting to them.
    EE want to appeal to the larger public who would buy into more general pop culture references. To them...the ads probably are clever and entertaining.

Well the point you are making is an irrelevant one then.
    Because it doesn't matter what the subjects are, I'm talking about the links themselves.
    I haven't said that they should use movies as the subjects. You could quite easily do good links using any popular culture subject matter.

I just gave you an example of a bad link. The 'hip' link is very weak indeed.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member

What bugs me about that ad is they use confusing and misleading words - "problems with your sight/hearing" should mean just that - maybe it would be better if they showed a fuzzier picture instead of a blank screen - or quietened the sound for the "problems with hearing" bit, as it isnt quite the same as saying you can't see or hear anything at all (what theyre implying by having either a blank screen or one with no sound) :confused::o
  • Purple-KiwisPurple-Kiwis Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I laugh when he says he "wept" when Jedward were voted out.

Not because he probably has no idea who Jedward are, but who on earth would be sad about Jedward losing?
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're alright... watch the Arts Channel if want something highbrow. My darkside kinda wishes they'd feed him some random "wrong 'uns" on his cue cards...... Jimmy Saville, Gary Glitter.... just to see his chirpy face unwittingly rambling about some vile toe-rags.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ads are good, but they're beginning to grate on me now.

Maybe I need to stop going to the cinema for a while.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching him on the new American series THe Following excellent stuff indeed.

He really is a wonderful actor.

I'm staggered he's never received an Oscar.
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totes amaze
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoys me the way he says Mobull instead of mobile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Annoys me the way he says Mobull instead of mobile.

Yeah accents can be really annoying.
    Are you born and bred in Birmingham? ;)
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah accents can be really annoying.
    Are you born and bred in Birmingham? ;)

Yes and no I don't sound like Noddy Holder when I speak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    My Bodyguard who travels with to and from School hates the Kevin Bacon EE Adverts becuase it gets on her nerves.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love these adverts, I would love to see the OUTTAKES....just for giggles.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love these adverts, I would love to see the OUTTAKES....just for giggles.

Yeh they would be great to see!