Box not responding to remote

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,976
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I noticed over the last couple of days that strange things were happening when I used the remote - like for example whichever button I press opens the interactive or the black box about Favourites

Say I press 6 intending to go to 601..........then before i can press 0 a notice box about Favourites opens in the middle of the screen and I can't remove it by pressing 'cancel' or the OK button. I have to reboot the box to get rid of it

Now the remote doesn't seem to work at all

I've tried new batteries and rebooting the box several times

The red light is lit on the remote

Rather strangely my remote for the TV also doesn't work - I only use it to control volume and the volume slider comes up but it doesn't respond to pressing up and down

Any ideas before i start the process of phoning customer services and waiting weeks for an engineer ?

Can there be something in the air or an external interference which might affect both remotes ?...............:o

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oo er...........this has taken a stranger turn since I last posted.......

I've twice picked up the remote to try it out and merely by pointing it at the box and not pressing any button at all it has opened up the red button..............:eek:

Once opened i can't close it as no button on the remote works, so i have to reboot the box to get back to 'telly'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Silly question perhaps, but have you tried changing the batteries in the TV remote? It may be interference the other way around if you see what I mean - a stuck button on the TV remote could be affecting both devices.
    Alternatively - is there a laptop or device with an infra-red printer port pointing at the box? Any cordless phones been moved closed to the setup? (I've had a problem in the past with a BT Cordless upsetting equipment nearby).
    Does the Vbox remote work if the TV is switched off, or the TV work properly if the Vbox is off?

To check for outside interference get a toilet roll, cover it in cooking foil, hold one end over the sensor on the Vbox and stick the end of the remote in the other end. Does that now work?

It would not hurt to run a stiffish brush over the remote keys in case one is slightly stuck 'down' by dirt.
    Has the cat peed on the remote? (Don't laugh - It has actually happened to someone I know...)
    Are the batteries in each remote the same age - mixing age/state in the device can cause untold problems.

Basically - eliminate the possibilities one by one so you can determine where the problem actually comes from.

Good luck and good hunting...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Forgot to add...

Is either remote a 'universal' one? If so try another as these are notorious for upsetting other equipment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks, longsoft, for taking the time !

I tried the tinfoil and brushing the remote, I'd already changed the batteries. There's no wireless or infra-red stuff around

It doesn't work when the telly is off

I haven't got a cat..............:p

Oh well, I phoned up and they're going to send me a new remote in the post..............if that doesn't work they'll get an engineer out

In the meantime I'm back in the dark ages, having to walk to the telly to use the buttons on the box..............:eek:
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    energy saving lightbulbs can also upset remote controlled devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    teletv wrote: »
    energy saving lightbulbs can also upset remote controlled devices.

Oops.............I stuck the remote in the bedroom yesterday and just dug it out and it seems to be working now !

:p
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Oops.............I stuck the remote in the bedroom yesterday and just dug it out and it seems to be working now !

:p

LOL i only mentioned it, cos our gas fire is remote controlled and when we had energy saving lightbulbs in the lounge the fire would turn itself on and off randomly. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    teletv wrote: »
    LOL i only mentioned it, cos our gas fire is remote controlled and when we had energy saving lightbulbs in the lounge the fire would turn itself on and off randomly. :)

the channel changing buttons are working now but the volume control and mute button are not working

I've had energy saving lightbulbs in the living room for years and it's not affected it before............so I'm not sure it could be that.