Options

The Late Late Show with James Corden – weeknights at 12:35am on CBS

Comments

• Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Cordon's Dad is a natural: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_MP_FLndsg
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Very entiertaining show the other night with Holmes, Reynolds and Apatow.

Nothing special about it but the guests just gelled very well together.

One thing I have noticed is the very quick segways that happen after a plug.
    That can be good or bad depending on your outlook.

An example with Holmes. They showed a clip of her movie. He asked her what it was about. She gave a brief description, just a couple of sentences. Then he moved on to something completely different.

I guess it's having multiple guests on the sofa and only having about 15 minutes of chat between them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were at it again with the Arsenal references the other night.

Overmars and Reyes got a mention.

I assume one of the writers or the producer is an Arsenal fan.

It's a terrible segment though. They could do an audience game or just have longer interviews if they have time to fill.

Casey Affleck gave a much better and more relaxed interview here than he did with Colbert though. Colbert had a bit of a stinker with him and Dreyfuss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Casey Affleck gave a much better and more relaxed interview here than he did with Colbert though. Colbert had a bit of a stinker with him and Dreyfuss.
    Casey Affleck who directed I'm Still Here. Obvious nod to Joaquin's interview with Colbert's predecessor there.
  • Options
    Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any word on a UK channel picking this up? Still surprised that nobody has. If it aired nightly the day after US broadcast I think it could do really well. Regular 10pm/11pm slot on E4/ITV2/More4/Sky1/Sky Atlantic?

I remember reading somewhere a while back that Sky were in talks about airing a weekly highlights package but can't see that working when it would essentially be a series of clips available on YouTube (and which will have probably gone viral by the time the show airs).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's been discussed before but the UK doesn't really have an appetite for nightly chat shows.

I know we have The One Show but that's an early evening magazine show.

Johnny Vaughn and I think Christian O'Connell gave it a go an failed.

Before that it was Wogan which was three nights a week, again early evening.
    and before that David Frost. Maybe there were more inbetween which I don't recall.

The Late Show and The Tonight Show have had runs on satellite tv but again with limited success.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart1000 wrote: »
    Any word on a UK channel picking this up? Still surprised that nobody has. If it aired nightly the day after US broadcast I think it could do really well. Regular 10pm/11pm slot on E4/ITV2/More4/Sky1/Sky Atlantic?

I remember reading somewhere a while back that Sky were in talks about airing a weekly highlights package but can't see that working when it would essentially be a series of clips available on YouTube (and which will have probably gone viral by the time the show airs).

There was a rumour circulating that James Corden himself was blocking the programme being picked up by a UK broadcaster, something to do with him not wanting it to air over here until he was happy with it (so as not to damage his career here too if it flopped). But given its success I doubt that still true, if it ever was.

As has been stated by others, US late night talk shows don’t attract big audiences in the UK, and are often quite expensive and require a considerable amount of effort to get the on the air every night. Having said that, having James Corden as host I would have thought would have made a broadcaster at least give it a shot.
    It’s interesting to see that ‘Ellen’ is proving popular on ITV2 (via catch up anyway, where it’s often ITVs most watched programme) even though it’s 2 weeks behind US pace. Maybe that might get broadcasters considering The Late Late show with James Corden again.

I actually think a weekly ‘highlights’ show, as had been rumoured that Sky 1 were considering, would be the best option. There’s still a lot of guests that will be unknown to UK audiences, and you’ll probably find that if a person doesn’t know the guests they’ll probably not watch that night. A ‘highlights’ show would require a bespoke deal between Sky and CBS though, and maybe that’s why it hasn’t happened.
    And yes the highlights will have already been on YouTube, but most people still prefer watching their programmes on television if there’s the option to do so.
    I think it's been discussed before but the UK doesn't really have an appetite for nightly chat shows.

I know we have The One Show but that's an early evening magazine show.

Johnny Vaughn and I think Christian O'Connell gave it a go an failed.

Before that it was Wogan which was three nights a week, again early evening.
    and before that David Frost. Maybe there were more inbetween which I don't recall.

The Late Show and The Tonight Show have had runs on satellite tv but again with limited success.

Most recent attempts at a late night, daily, talk show were ‘V Graham Norton’ on Channel 4 and ‘Johnny Vaughan Tonight’ on BBC Three/BBC One (and this was actually only 3 nights a week) – both about 15 years ago now.
    There was ‘Live with Chris Moyles’ and then ‘Live with Christian O’Connell’ on Channel 5, but that was at 7pm each night. And then of course there was ‘The Jack Docherty Show’ when Channel 5 launched.
    All failed to attract viewers to varying degrees.

‘The Late Show with David Letterman’ aired on various channels over the years, but never for more than a couple of years or so at the most.
    But ‘The Tonight Show’ has aired on CNBC in the UK for 17 years now, with hosts Jay Leno, Conan O’Brien, Jay Leno (again) and current Jimmy Fallon. It currently airs weeknights at 11pm, and weekends at 8pm. It also had a short lived stint on short lived channel Ftn.

The most successful, currently at least, is ‘Late Week Tonight with John Oliver’ on Sky Atlantic which performs well for them. But I’ll admit it’s not daily, and it’s not really a talk show. Other than that, ‘Ellen’ appears to be doing well on ITV2 but it’s early days. There’s also ‘The Daily Show’ on Comedy Central, but given the ratings and the later and later scheduling I suspect it’s days may be numbered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Walliams was on Mondays show. I know Little Britain had a cult audience in the US, and his children’s books sell quite well over there, but I doubt he would have been booked on The Late Late Show if it wasn’t for James Corden (and some of the production staff) being British. Not that I’m complaining, I’m quite liking seeing British celebrities getting a bit of US expose that they wouldn’t of otherwise got. Plus his comments about Simon Cowell were quite funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ‘CBS Television Studios’ and Ben Winston’s British ‘Fulwell 73’ production company are currently shopping around the cable (and VOD) networks trying to sell a Late Late Show spin-off programme – Car Pool Karaoke.
    They’ve supposedly seen how successful Lip Sync Battle has been, which is another late night talk show spin off programme (from The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon) and are keen to replicate its success.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/james-corden-late-late-show-873953

Personally I’m not sure it’s a good idea, particularly as James Corden isn’t expected to host – he’s expected to Executive Produce and maybe make the occasional on screen appearance. It’s a very good segment on The Late Late Show, but I’m not sure it requires its own programme... but I’d say the same about Lip Sync Battle, so what do I know!

What is also interesting is that Spike TV, home of Lip Sync Battle (the other late night spin off), is set to air ‘Caraoke Showdown’ which will also take place in a car and features celebrity guests singing familiar songs.
    I guess if Spike TV are going to try and rip off the idea you can’t blame CBS/Fulwell 73 wanting to attempt their own programme with the original idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it an original idea?
    Wasn't Greg James doing it for his Radio1 show?

Saying that, not much of The Late Late Show is original. Corden has joking said himself that he's ripped off a lot from Chris Evans. I think there is a lot of Norton influence as well.

I'm not that much of a fan of the segment so a spin off show wouldn't interest me at all.

I feel the same as you about LSB. Infact I didn't know it was from the show. All I knew is that somehow Stephen Merchant was involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it an original idea?
    Wasn't Greg James doing it for his Radio1 show?

Saying that, not much of The Late Late Show is original. Corden has joking said himself that he's ripped off a lot from Chris Evans. I think there is a lot of Norton influence as well.

I'm not that much of a fan of the segment so a spin off show wouldn't interest me at all.

Carpool Karaoke certainly isn’t as original as some people think.
    There are lots of examples of similar ideas – including Greg James on Radio1. I think each example is always slightly different though – for example in the Greg James one they aren’t actually singing, just miming. James Corden claims his idea originates from a Gavin and Stacey Comic Relief bit they did with George Michael. He also did something very similar in his ‘Corden meets Gary Barlow’ programme too.
    It’s probably impossible to find the true origins of the idea, but Corden has certainly populised it with the most success.
    I still don’t think it needs its own programme though.

In related news, CBS is celebrating The Late Late Show with Jame’s Corden’s first anniversary with a one hour prime time special – ‘Carpool Karaoke Primetime Special’ at 10pm on 29th March. The programme will feature highlights of previous carpool karaokes as well as a new one with Jennifer Lopez.
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/a786468/carpool-karaoke-is-going-primetime-jennifer-lopez-gets-behind-the-wheel-with-james-corden-for-a-cbs-special/

This says two things to me. Firstly, that this is essentially an early pilot for a ‘Carpool Karaoke’ spin off. And secondly, that CBS have great confidence and a vested interest in making James Corden one of their key stars (in the same way NBC have done/are doing with Jimmy Fallon). I don’t believe any version of The Late Late Show has ever had a primetime special. And it took longer than a year for NBC to give Jimmy Fallon a primetime special. In fact I don’t think any late night host has been given a primetime special just one year in to the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When he was on TFI he said he had a four year contract IIRC. So he's part of their mid-long term plans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting censoring on US telly.

The show is on after midnight (although I guess it is syndicated and clips put up on youtube).
    Words such as pissed and bastard are ok. I realise that pissed in the US mean angry/annoyed. The other standard swear words are censored.

The surprising one though was censoring God. You'd think in this day and age they'd let that one slide.
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity it's not shown in the UK. I like James Corden ( been a fan since Gavin and Stacey). I love John Oliver on Sky Atlantic ( different beast I know) and series record Jimmy Fallon, only watching the ones I'm interested in. It's weird that late night talk shows never really work here. Friday night- fine. I think we are a nation of early to bed, early to rise people!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The show is on after midnight (although I guess it is syndicated and clips put up on youtube).
    Words such as pissed and bastard are ok. I realise that pissed in the US mean angry/annoyed. The other standard swear words are censored.

The surprising one though was censoring God. You'd think in this day and age they'd let that one slide.

That's US network TV for you. Only mild swearing allowed, regardless of what time day or night! As for censoring 'God', I think that's so that they don't upset the religious fanatics who don't like blasphemy.
    And no allowed nudity either, day or night.
    On the other hand, US network TV is more liberal than UK 'network' television when it comes to violence.
    fayebeatle wrote: »
    It's weird that late night talk shows never really work here. Friday night- fine. I think we are a nation of early to bed, early to rise people!

I'd agree, but the US seem to be early risers too - their local breakfast shows start as early as 4:30am! So my conclusion - Americans never sleep. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They did another show from a house the other night.

I'm not sure how improvised that it.
    They'd need permits for filming, for noise (live music) and H&S for the animals and other insurance.

Also both times they've found a nice big house with several housemates.
    And this time had the good luck to find a house with a grand piano for the music guest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did another show from a house the other night.

I'm not sure how improvised that it.
    They'd need permits for filming, for noise (live music) and H&S for the animals and other insurance.

Also both times they've found a nice big house with several housemates.
    And this time had the good luck to find a house with a grand piano for the music guest.

I suspect it’s nowhere near as improvised as they suggest it is, but I still like the fact they do different things occasionally.

I suspect (and this is only my guess) that the house owners don’t know they are coming, whether the house is chosen at random or (a few are?) scouted out somehow by the production team in advance, I don’t know. I also suspect that the programme is taped days/weeks in advance and not on the day like its normally done. This will allow them to avoid the risk of not having a show ready for broadcast that night, and also allows them to spend hours finding a house and taping the episode – but making it look like it’s all done in an hour like normal. I did wonder about the piano too though!

It reminds me of the time (in the 80s) when David Letterman hosted his show from home because he had to ‘work from home’ while he waited for the cable guy to come fix his cable.

But regardless of all of this, I do like how James Corden isn’t afraid to take the show out of the studio occasionally, and try something a bit different.

It got me thinking... I wonder if a week of shows taped in London is a possibility in the future. Letterman did it (and Craig Ferguson took his show to Scotland and Paris, although they were more travelogue shows rather than the normal studio format), and Letterman isn’t even British. I think it would be a great idea, what do you think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it would be good if he could get big name guests who the US public would know.
    If he stuck to UK favourites who are not well known over there then it could bomb.

I didn't watch the Ferguson Scotland shows but I remember reading up on them and he only had a handful of guests and some appeared twice in the run.
    I think Ferguson's show was more niche than the show Corden/Winston have created though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be good if he could get big name guests who the US public would know.
    If he stuck to UK favourites who are not well known over there then it could bomb.

I didn't watch the Ferguson Scotland shows but I remember reading up on them and he only had a handful of guests and some appeared twice in the run.
    I think Ferguson's show was more niche than the show Corden/Winston have created though.

Yes, I’m thinking of a week of shows from London with big British guests – you know, the likes of Daniel Craig, Helen Mirren, Eddie Redmayne, Benedict Cumberbatch etc. That’s the sort of thing Letterman did when he did a week of shows from London (although he had a few Americans too). I think it would be good.

Craig Ferguson’s week of shows from Scotland (and Paris) didn’t follow the traditional format of the show, they were more ‘travelogue’ in style (visiting the local sights, his old school etc.) – sort of like Conan’s recent shows in Cuba and Armenia, if you saw them. Ferguson did have guests, but they weren’t Scottish, and they were simply ‘accompanying’ him rather than being interviewed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thierry Henry on the show last week.
    Didn't seem to be any reason for it. I know he played in the MLS but he's a UK Sky pundit these days. I wonder if he's looking for some US work?

With the other Arsenal references in the show I think Winston or one of the senior writers must be an Arsenal fan.

Also they had a direct rip off of one of the games from A League of Their Own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone else noticed Corden affecting his accent, or mainly specific words?

It was very obvious the other night when he seemed to be replacing T with D. Twidder.
    Once I noticed it I couldn't stop noticing.

Similarly, Jimmy Carr slows down and speaks 'posher' when he is in North America. Examples on youtube of him on Jimmy Fallon and The Nasty Show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was very obvious the other night when he seemed to be replacing T with D. Twidder.

Similarly, Jimmy Carr slows down and speaks 'posher' when he is in North America. Examples on youtube of him on Jimmy Fallon and The Nasty Show.
    Whenever he uses American terms as if he's been living in the US for years he sounds fake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I started noticing this a couple of months ago and wondered if he was starting to subconsciously pick up a bit of an American accent. Assuming this is the case it’s not surprising, it happens quite a lot when people migrate to another country, but it is surprising it’s happening so quickly.
    It doesn’t happen to everyone though, former Late Late Show host Craig Ferguson still has a strong Scottish accent after about 20 years in the US, and John Oliver doesn’t appear to have picked up any hint of an American accent either despite living over there for 10 years now.
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Whenever he uses American terms as if he's been living in the US for years he sounds fake.

Let’s be fair, he’s probably told to use American words, like vacation instead of holiday. He does often forget though, I recently heard him say back garden instead of back yard.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Noticed last night that **** and **** were fine but Asshole was censored.
    I wonder who puts those lists together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed last night that **** and **** were fine but Asshole was censored.
    I wonder who puts those lists together.

Yeah that sounds about right for US network television, regardless of the time of day/night.
    While we’re talking about the absurdities of it – you can say the word ‘ass’, you can say the word ‘butthole’, but you can’t say the word ‘asshole’! :confused::D