Options

EU referendum a battle of bullying right wing press versus the public -Polly Toynbee

2»

Comments

• Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    As far as I am aware Rupert Murdoch is in favour of Britain staying in the EU, as in the editor of The Mail on Sunday.
    aurichie wrote: »
    I'm not sure he has stated his view either way yet. But I'd be shocked and stunned if someone as successful and sensible as Rupert Murdoch would get behind something that would be so bad for business (the no campaign). It probably wouldn't be sensible for him to rush out and announce anything though, because with his power and influence he can definitely extract some beneficial concessions to lending his supporting to the governments position.

Whaaatttt? Rupert Murdoch is a well known Eurosceptic. Always has been. Do you think Dave would have appeared on the Sun in a Dad's Army uniform and them being highly critical of the deal if Rupert was in favour of staying in?

And look at his tweet 10 hours ago:

Cameron's deal with EU a nothing. How can sensible Cabinet colleagues accept this? Loyalty to country more important than friendships.

And one from a few months ago:

Europe exports more to UK than reverse. No danger of trade war. City of London well able to look after itself.

Doesn't sound like a Europhile to me.

And Aurichie, how can the EU be good for business? The Eurozones economic performance is pi$$ poor. Its job creation is shocking, and the EU is the worlds only declining trading block.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian is a left wing utopian, pro EU rag. So no surprises they are rubbishing anyone who wants to leave the EU.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That woman couldn't make a valid point if she had all the intelligence in the world, she is a sad pathetic relic of the boozy long days of the seventies often found sitting in the Fleet Street hostelry waiting for a half decent story to materialise or thought to enter her head.😄

She gets paid handsomely for writing shite, most of us here on DS do it for nowt.😄

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Gary_OldhamGary_Oldham Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given how the anti-EU crowd are shout down opposing views and spread huge amounts of misinformation at every opportunity I find their claims to victimhood ironic
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given how the anti-EU crowd are shout down opposing views and spread huge amounts of misinformation at every opportunity I find their claims to victimhood ironic

Of course the Pro lot always tell 100% the whole truth,and nothing but the truth.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And who owns most of the UK press?

# An Australian chose to take US citizenship because the Land of The Free has oddly strict controls on media ownership

# Some Lord who inherited non dom tax status and claims to be resident in France to avoid the rest.

# Two blokes who had to buy a Channel Island in order to get residency and tax benefits there.

Great to know all these people have the means to tell us what's "best for Britain"
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

# An Australian chose to take US citizenship because the Land of The Free has oddly strict controls on media ownership

# Some Lord who inherited non dom tax status and claims to be resident in France to avoid the rest.

# Two blokes who had to buy a Channel Island in order to get residency and tax benefits there.

Great to know all these people have the means to tell us what's "best for Britain"

Brilliantly put, glasshalffull!
  • Options
    NeverEnoughNeverEnough Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey. The pro-EU lot are getting their excuses in early. Don't we usually at least wait for the result before we blame the media if we don't get the result we want?
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nicely put.
    Blimey. The pro-EU lot are getting their excuses in early.
    Hardly 'excuses'; just noting that those with huge influence on a debate which affects us British residents don't even live here or pay fair tax on their "earnings" here.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    That woman couldn't make a valid point if she had all the intelligence in the world, she is a sad pathetic relic of the boozy long days of the seventies often found sitting in the Fleet Street hostelry waiting for a half decent story to materialise or thought to enter her head.😄

She gets paid handsomely for writing shite, most of us here on DS do it for nowt.😄
    What!!Even if she had all the intelligence in the world!!??:confused::D

What a bizarre statement-your dislike of her seems irrational.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really couldn't make it up. The only ones who have been consistently bullying people have been the Bildergers, the establishment and their political lackeys.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'll be totally negative

Hatred of Foreigners versus Fear Of Losing Jobs

it's a toss up
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were you, Moleskin, I would be more careful when choosing my information sources. They can be unreliable.

Ahem:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-36351957
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Blimey. The pro-EU lot are getting their excuses in early. Don't we usually at least wait for the result before we blame the media if we don't get the result we want?

If you read through the forums this past 4-5 days it's not the Bremainers getting their excuses in early it's the brexiters.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Only the Express is actively backing remain - with the Sun intermittently.

The rest of the media is on the remain side - including the establishment Mail and Telegraph (check the Mails front page today).

So Pollys comments are wrong and a bit rich really - seems it's ok for the Guardian to lecture us of course!
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunately, as I pointed out in the other thread, the entire printed press accounts for less than 25% of overall media consumption in the UK.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Maybe this will help make up a few undecided's minds:

http://www.londonthenews.com/news/Front+Page/20160514/81541054/The-last-whites-of-the-East-End-BBC.htm

The last whites of the East End: BBC documentary reveals how cockneys are becoming an endangered species in London borough as 70,000 immigrants have moved in.

Cockney traditions are dying out in Newham, east London, according to BBC documentary Last Whites of the East End, with families claiming a huge influx of immigrants has killed off the community.

Tues. 24th May 10:45pm.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Maybe this will help make up a few undecided's minds:

http://www.londonthenews.com/news/Front+Page/20160514/81541054/The-last-whites-of-the-East-End-BBC.htm

The last whites of the East End: BBC documentary reveals how cockneys are becoming an endangered species in London borough as 70,000 immigrants have moved in.

Cockney traditions are dying out in Newham, east London, according to BBC documentary Last Whites of the East End, with families claiming a huge influx of immigrants has killed off the community.

Tues. 24th May 10:45pm.

I was reading the review of that last week - as someone who came from that area it seems to be fairly representative of the facts on the ground so I will be definitely looking forward to watching it once it is aired.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I don't think Toynbee does herself any credit with that opinion.

Even if one disagrees with Brexit it must be acknowledged that it's a grass roots movement.
    It's been stoked up over many years by insidious and hate-mongering journalism in publications like the Daily Mail, but that isn't bullying.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I don't think Toynbee does herself any credit with that opinion.

Even if one disagrees with Brexit it must be acknowledged that it's a grass roots movement.
    It's been stoked up over many years by insidious and hate-mongering journalism in publications like the Daily Mail, but that isn't bullying.

Yes - I know us leave supporters are just ignorant and stupid and ill educated and fall for every Mail headline. Odd though - as the Mail is now full on pro remain.

We simply won't Accept the self evident truth that Brexit will lead to Armageddon. Cos let's face it Cameron seems to be relying on the tell voters a big enough lie and they will believe it - as he did during the AV referendum and in May 2015.

I remember us being told we shouldn't vote for AV as it was more likely to lead to the BNP getting MPs than first past the post - only an imbecile would believe that as it's blatant nonsense as under AV you need to win over 50 per cent not be the largest minority.! But it seemed to work.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    It'll be totally negative

Hatred of Foreigners versus Fear Of Losing Jobs

it's a toss up

I think I had it sussed a few months ago !
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you read through the forums this past 4-5 days it's not the Bremainers getting their excuses in early it's the brexiters.

There are far too man referendum threads in my opinion and they are mostly ill-informed and/or speculative or baiting.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    There are far too man referendum threads in my opinion and they are mostly ill-informed and/or speculative or baiting.

Who starts them?:D