Options

Joining Stuff Together

I have a JVC DR-MH300 PVR/DVD player, a V+ box and a new Samsung LE40M8 LCD HD-TV. My problem is in joining them all together to get the best effect.

Currently I have HDMI cables between the V+ and the TV and between the PVR and the TV but I'm not convinced that I've selected the optimal settings to get the best out of the system.

The picture looks great when I'm watching either the BBC HD channel or some of the HD content on Virgin Media's VoD service. But on some of the other channels I get quite a lot of smudging and ghosting. Also when switching from a widescreen channel to a 4:3 channel, the screen doesn't resize itself automatically.

But the biggest problems are with the PVR/TV link. The video looks really muddy and there is no sound at all.

I'm hopeful that it will all work well if I just configure it all correctly, but I think that currently I'm some distance from that.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Even if it's just a pointer to a beginners web site that I should read.

Cheers,

Dave...

Update: I've just read something in the TV's manual saying that the HDMI connection won't carry sound if it's an older HDMI spec. The TV supports HDMI 1.3 and I can't find any information about what HDMI spec the PVR/DVD player supports. But anyway, having followed the manual's advice and added a separate audio connection, I now have sound.

So we're getting closer :-)

Comments

• Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A straight path from one to the other is usually best, if you can get a good picture on some channels then it must be down to the quality of the source rather than your equipment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    sounds as if you need a fully pinned scart which is shielded, usually says oxygen free for marketing purposes

pay £10 to £20

make sure dvd player on RGB output and connected to RGB socket on tv usually av1