Options

PVR Question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
Forum Member
✭✭
I have had a Thompson 6300 320 Gb for 2-3 years and during that time it only seems to record about 50% of the time.
Having a quick look at threads for different makes am I correct in saying they all have their problems?
Which is the most reliable model to get for Freeview?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the lack of replies means there is no such thing as a decent PVR.
  • Options
    daves001daves001 Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Well pleased with my Digihome that I've had for about 3 years, but none of them seem to be perfect judging by what people say on here.
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    I have had a Thompson 6300 320 Gb for 2-3 years and during that time it only seems to record about 50% of the time.
    Having a quick look at threads for different makes am I correct in saying they all have their problems?
    Which is the most reliable model to get for Freeview?
    I think you will find any other make more reliable than those using the Top Up TV software that the Thompson 6300 uses. The previous software versions were reasonable but the latest versions downloaded a couple of weeks ago seem to have re-introduced some of the original issues.

Colin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    creddish wrote: »
    I think you will find any other make more reliable than those using the Top Up TV software that the Thompson 6300 uses. The previous software versions were reasonable but the latest versions downloaded a couple of weeks ago seem to have re-introduced some of the original issues.

Colin

Thanks for the reply. I bought the box from Argos for £99 and got Setanta free for the season so I don't think the box owes me anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    The Vestel boxes sold at Argos and others (branded Bush, Hitachi, Wharfedale etc) have bombproof reliability when recording. They have some other annoying (IMHO) quirks however, like stutters on playback

I always say, with Freeview+ boxes you get to choose any 2 out of...
    - reliable recording
    - glitch free playback
    - fast remote control response.

Humax probably comes closest to giving you all 3. Vestel gives you the first one in spades, but not the other 2. Sagemcom gives you the second but not the others. Etc
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkPax wrote: »
    The Vestel boxes sold at Argos and others (branded Bush, Hitachi, Wharfedale etc) have bombproof reliability when recording. They have some other annoying (IMHO) quirks however, like stutters on playback

- reliable recording
    - glitch free playback

Humax probably comes closest to giving you all 3. Vestel gives you the first one in spades, but not the other 2. Sagemcom gives you the second but not the others. Etc
    Not sure about the bomb proof recording bit with Vestel clones. :)

My mum has a Wharfedale box from Argos. It went through a stage where it would record for a couple of hours even though the programme was only 45 mins long!

I can't be certain but I think it may have been linked to how full the hard disk was at the time. She had a few issues with playback at more or less the same time that went away when she cleared out a few things she had either forgotten to delete are decided she would never watch. I think the recording issue was cured at the same time.
  • Options
    tim123tim123 Posts: 3,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I can't agree with the "fast response to remote".

My Humax frequently goes into the mode of "press a button and wait 30 seconds for a response".

tim
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MarkPax wrote: »

- reliable recording
    - glitch free playback

I wouldn't rate the Vestel PVRs recording reliability as bombproof. Both my Humax and Vestel units go through phases of random recording failures. Since the Humax .23 software update the Humax has become marginally worse than my Vestel. Hence the benefit of using each PVR as a backup for the other for important recordings, which gives virtually 100% reliability overall except for rare broadcaster issues which affect both,

Colin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim123 wrote: »
    And I can't agree with the "fast response to remote".

My Humax frequently goes into the mode of "press a button and wait 30 seconds for a response".

tim
    Have you got the ,23 software update? That solves the slow response issue for most users.

Colin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    This is good guys, it's making me feel even better about buying a Toppy & putting MyStuff on it. Approaching 1000 recordings over 3 months, and not a single one missed or damaged in any way :) Boots in 40 seconds, remote response is usually pretty good, EPG like lightning, sets up a Series Link in about 3 seconds, playback quality excellent. All for £75 (and many, many hours learning to use it :()
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After months of not using my Thomson 6300 it now seems to be working fine. I nearly bought a Panasonic Freesat recorder with HDD and DVD recorder but now I can't see the point of spending money for the sake of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    After months of not using my Thomson 6300 it now seems to be working fine. I nearly bought a Panasonic Freesat recorder with HDD and DVD recorder but now I can't see the point of spending money for the sake of it.
    Well you still may prefer to have a decent and reliable PVR. ;)

Colin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Vestel/Digihome.

My PVR 80 has recorded everything faultlessly in the four years I've had it.

It's also all but silent, which some of the others are not.

The EPG plays up sometimes by putting the programmes for one channel against the name of another.

But it's always recorded the programme I've asked it to.