Options

non presenters presenting

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
Forum Member
global giving the bloke from JLS (THATS SHOW BIZ) and the bloke from TOWIE and all other so called tv celebs presenting jobs on radio is just another way of killing off radio in this country...listening to them is quite mind boggling..self indulgent crap.....any thoughts......radio presenting used to be an art...what has happened to Richard Park,he used to be the best radio man around,now....sad.

Comments

• Options
    Dixie Scott 106Dixie Scott 106 Posts: 11,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many non djs around.

Vanessa Feltz, Dermot O'Leary, Jenni Falconer, Jason Donavan
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    So many non djs around.

Vanessa Feltz, Dermot O'Leary, Jenni Falconer, Jason Donavan

Global have lost the plot, outside breakfast they only want 'nobody' DJ's to play 45 minute music sweeps with minimal talk unless they employ z list celebrities. They've got Marvin from JLS, Mark Wright, Jenny Falconer, Emma Bunton, Jason Donovan, Stephen Mulhern and Emma Willis all on board at Capital and Heart.

Capital have filled their schedules with unrecognisable names whereas we used to have London known household names.

Vanessa Feltz and Dermot O Leary are mentioned above but they've both been doing radio for many years and are now accomplished radio people.

Heart is a joke, it's the radio version of Take A Break magazine and Capital has just morphed into Kiss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Global have lost the plot, outside breakfast they only want 'nobody' DJ's to play 45 minute music sweeps with minimal talk unless they employ z list celebrities. They've got Marvin from JLS, Mark Wright, Jenny Falconer, Emma Bunton, Jason Donovan, Stephen Mulhern and Emma Willis all on board at Capital and Heart.

Capital have filled their schedules with unrecognisable names whereas we used to have London known household names.

Vanessa Feltz and Dermot O Leary are mentioned above but they've both been doing radio for many years and are now accomplished radio people.

Heart is a joke, it's the radio version of Take A Break magazine and Capital has just morphed into Kiss.

The highlighted ones are tv celebrities. Who think they good at radio
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick Astley isn't that bad at doing Magic I do enjoy his request show
    Michael buble is another good host for Christmas, but then again he cant do anything wrong

the problem is that a lot of us are trying to get into the industry and it doesn't help how radio has changed.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are TV people, just like Anneka Rice, Clare Balding and French & Saunders. If you take off your Radio 2 rose-tinted glasses you'll see that they are doing exactly the same as Heart by employing TV presenters at the weekend.

Meanwhile one of Britain's best radio presenters, Charlotte Green, has just joined Global's Classic FM.
  • Options
    watfordjunctionwatfordjunction Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    hotrockin wrote: »
    global giving the bloke from JLS (THATS SHOW BIZ) and the bloke from TOWIE and all other so called tv celebs presenting jobs on radio is just another way of killing off radio in this country...listening to them is quite mind boggling..self indulgent crap.....any thoughts......radio presenting used to be an art...what has happened to Richard Park,he used to be the best radio man around,now....sad.

I'm afraid life moves on and things change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graham Norton
  • Options
    PausePause Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    They are TV people, just like Clare Balding

That just says to me you know next to nothing about Clare Balding.
    Graham Norton

Graham Norton is a perfect choice for the show he does. And it's not as if he's completely alien to the entertainment side of radio, you're probably just going through the schedules and picking out names you know "off the telly".
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pause wrote: »

She started on 5 Live (and still commentates on Wimbledon) but that hardly makes her a time-served DJ for a Radio 2 breakfast show.

Clare was selected for Sunday breakfast because of the publicity surrounding her presenting on TV for the Olympics & Paralympics.

That doesn't mean it's the wrong decision, I was responding to the suggestion that only Heart & Capital hire celebrity names to generate publicity, when Radio 2 clearly do it as well.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "non presenters presenting" is a bit of strange title - surely once a non-presenter regularly presents they become a presenter?

I think it's only us with a strong interest in radio who separate "radio people" from "TV people".

People I know who consume radio normally separate such personalities on the radio between people they like to listen to and people they don't. They don't care whether the person has been brought in from TOWIE or whether they've done a Moyles or Mills and moved through the ranks.

I know a Radio 2 listener who has been equally annoyed by Patrick Kielty when he was in for Steve Wright as they were by Richard Allinson filling in.

At any rate it's a blurry line who is a radio person. Iain Lee started his media career doing Horizon's Black Thunder, Dermot O'Leary worked behind the scenes at BBC Essex, Jamie Theakston did sport reporting for GLR, Toby Anstis worked on hospital radio - all before getting their TV jobs which made their name. Yet by the definition some people give they wouldn't be regarded as radio people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pause wrote: »

Graham Norton is a perfect choice for the show he does. And it's not as if he's completely alien to the entertainment side of radio, you're probably just going through the schedules and picking out names you know "off the telly".

Not at all, but thats all he is, a chat show host of the tele, and someone thought we'd chuck him on radio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lawrence LLewellyn Bowen off Classic fm
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The highlighted ones are tv celebrities. Who think they good at radio

Vanessa started as a journalist and had shows on GLR and Talk Radio before going into TV. Similarly, Dermot O'Leary started at Essex Radio and used to have a show on XFM. So I'd say they both have a decent radio pedigree.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Heart is a joke, it's the radio version of Take A Break magazine

Take a Break's a very successful magazine.

If I was in charge of anything which had to make money, I'd love it to be the x equivalent of Take a Break.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    Vanessa started as a journalist and had shows on GLR and Talk Radio before going into TV. Similarly, Dermot O'Leary started at Essex Radio and used to have a show on XFM. So I'd say they both have a decent radio pedigree.

Thank you, the exact point I was trying to get across before being accused if having Radio 2 'rose tinted glasses'

Vanessa and Dermot do not deserve to have their names thrown into the same hat as the likes of Marvin, Mark Wright and Jenny Falconer.

For the record I don't like Vanessa or Dermot on Radio 2 but they have a pedigree in radio and that needed to be recognised.
  • Options
    danrichardsdanrichards Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Firstly - how do you qualify a 'non-presenter'? What makes Dermot less of a radio presenter than anyone else, just because he's done some TV work? His first gig was on air at Essex Radio so may I suggest you check your facts before assuming?

Either way, even if he had no experience of a desk and a mic before Radio 2, doesn't everyone have to start somewhere? That's like saying you shouldn't be given a job in Sainsburys because you've never worked in a Supermarket before.

Dermot, Vanessa, Graham Norton, Alan Carr...at the end of the day, they're all accomplished presenters in their own right. If Steve Wright suddenly started presenting a chat show on Channel 5 each afternoon, does he become a 'TV person' and lose his right to present on the radio?
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason Donavan
    Jason did a week of shows at Radio 1 in 1991. As did Phil Collins, Pet Shop Boys and others.
  • Options
    kipperthecatkipperthecat Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    presenters presenters presenters - I know its the way of the world but I feel it's a shame we don't actually have many real DJs anymore who actually know about the music they are "presenting" it's all personality and no context or understanding - even on Radio 1 they are getting far and few between!
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    What defines a non-presenter? If they appear on the TV does that mean they are a non-presenter? Chris Moyles had a regular TV show on Channel 4...

Also the general opinion on here is that Marvin as actually quite good. I agree.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    It's a simple question to ask yourself would you prefer a commercial bland sounding dj who can be slick with vocals and jingles but say very little. Kind of like a safe pair of hands like Allinson. Or would you prefer someone enterraining who has something to say. I'm sure most people would choose the latter.

Why is being on the radio so exclusive that you have to have started on overnights on hospital radio in order to do it. Anyone who has something entertaining to say and understands the medium can do it. It's really not that hard if you're already a tv presenter.
  • Options
    simes188simes188 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, is presenting the breakfast porgramme on Classic FM on Easter Morning.
  • Options
    mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    It's a simple question to ask yourself would you prefer a commercial bland sounding dj who can be slick with vocals and jingles but say very little. Kind of like a safe pair of hands like Allinson. Or would you prefer someone enterraining who has something to say. I'm sure most people would choose the latter.

Why is being on the radio so exclusive that you have to have started on overnights on hospital radio in order to do it. Anyone who has something entertaining to say and understands the medium can do it. It's really not that hard if you're already a tv presenter.

Starting out on hospital radio/ living months on ship giving the comfort of home used to be a way' paying your dues' and working your up , like in any work environment , learn your craft on the way up .

If I'm listening to music radio , I expect the presenter to informative of the music that they are playing along with being respectful of that music , that would entertaining to the music listener .

However , if I want speech radio , then I would expect to listen to a speech radio station , then the presenter can talk as much as they want .

Having people off the telly talking all over the music is disrespectful to people that are attempting to enjoy listening to music and , it is a disrespectful move to radio station management to appoint people who are have no interest in the music , but talking rubbish all over the music
  • Options
    kipperthecatkipperthecat Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the radio give me a John Peel over a has-been tv interviewer everytime.....
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »

I think sometimes that some would like a closed shop and any radio presenter to be a time served member of the Amalgamated Union of Radio Presenters and DJs! I am sure that I am not alone in disliking many of the 'professional' long term presenters / DJs and much prefer a bit of variety.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I just love the way Mr Controller at BBC Radio 2 has done so much for the station. His massive filofax - with page after page of 'useless tv has-beens' and 'would you like to come to a dinner party at mummy and daddies house on Saturday' type contacts, has brought a winning touch of acute banality and outstanding blandness to some parts of Radio 2's schedule.

I've written to him (I'm sure he can read quite well !) asking if he'll consider some of my own favourites - Basil Brush would be excellent on a Sunday afternoon doing requests for the gushy wannabe showiz second XI types (and he could always read some news bulletins now that they've got rid of their few decent continuity / news people) and 'The Krankies', who I feel would energise the swing jock area with a much needed breath of fresh air and witty banter. Also, given that 'The Krankies' have actually spent a long time working as professional entertainers, I'm sure they'd know more about most things that the coterie of girly types who currently tick the boxes come DJ holiday time on the basis that their dad was on the telly, or that their mummy used to be the editor of the Sunday Express (although I'm sure that's just coincidence).

I can't wait for his reply !