Scientology now recognised as a religion in the UK

The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
Forum Member
✭✭✭
News is just coming from the Supreme Court that Scientology has won it's case to be officially recognised as a real religion in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25331754

Comments

• Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes sense, it's no more barmy than many of the other beliefs out there that are officially recognized.
  • LucyconLucycon Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    The Dove wrote: »
    News is just coming from the Supreme Court that Scientology has won it's case to be officially recognised as a real religion in the UK.

It's not about the UK allowing Scientology as a religion though, it's about licensing their chapel as a place for the solemnisation of marriage. If it was to be recognised as a religion, it would presumably have to go through Parliament, not the Supreme Court.
    The court said it was not the job of the Registrar General of Births, Marriages and Deaths to venture into "fine theological or liturgical niceties" and declared that the Scientology chapel should be recorded as a place for the solemnisation of marriages.

• MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scientology is not a religion it's a pyramid scheme.

Awful if it can now qualify for tax exemption in the UK.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh joy so will the personality test be a part of the R E national curriculum?
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Makes sense, it's no more barmy than many of the other beliefs out there that are officially recognized.

Indeed.
    It always amuses me when religious people look down on Scientology because its all made up :D
  • NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the same as any religion, made up and then worshiped by the sheeple

i can see how it won
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't this be in cult?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cult...religion...there's not much difference between the two.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Bunch of cults.
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you are missing the point. This case has never been about religion, it's about the tax breaks religious status brings.

If this stands, UK taxpayers will be funding an organisation which is accused of a long list of illegal activity.

Oh and you can forget about criticising it since they'll also be claiming protection under laws against religious hatred.

I do not oppose this cult on the grounds of belief, it's about the abuses.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It's as daft as all the others.

Bad thing is, that it may now be seen as a 'hate crime' to criticise this bunch of idiots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you are missing the point. This case has never been about religion, it's about the tax breaks religious status brings.

If this stands, UK taxpayers will be funding an organisation which is accused of a long list of illegal activity.

Oh and you can forget about criticising it since they'll also be claiming protection under laws against religious hatred.

...so, it continues to be just like the others then.

Let's just ban tax relief for voodooo nonsensery in general, sorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's as daft as all the others.

Bad thing is, that it may now be seen as a 'hate crime' to criticise this bunch of idiots.

Exactly and believe me the Scientology organisation will take advantage of that. Guess it's time to read up on what happens when one is arrested.
    Forum Member

The same can be said of all religions.
    None of them should have tax breaks or exemptions from the law, but they do.
    Untill such a time where religions lose there privileges then they should all be treated the same surely ?
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The country is spineless. It's capitulates in the face of every special demand from every minority, no matter how potty.

Outrageous decision. Law Lords must be stupid enough to be prime recruits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    why not?
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    petspy wrote: »
    why not?

Is that you Tom?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    The same can be said of all religions.
    None of them should have tax breaks or exemptions from the law, but they do.
    Untill such a time where religions lose there privileges then they should all be treated the same surely ?

You really need to read up on exactly what Scientology is. This is not about religious beliefs, it's about hiding criminal activity behind a mask of religion.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the last line of that article that's key, though. Tax breaks etc for religions are usually predicated on the idea that religion provides a "service" to the public and to society at large. Now, whether one believes they provide any kind of service at all is entirely up for debate, but the thing about $cientology is that the "public" part isn't fulfilled in any way at all.

Unless they start giving their teachings and auditing away for free, I can't see that changing. As a profit-making organisation which actively excludes the public, they're kinda different.

FWIW I despise the Co$ with a passion, but I don't have a problem with it being a place where $cilons can get married. That doesn't bother me at all; people should be able to get married wherever they want.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For me its not so much what they believe, its the lack of openess about those beliefs and what people have to do to be part of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really need to read up on exactly what Scientology is. This is not about religious beliefs, it's about hiding criminal activity behind a mask of religion.
    Ever heard of Catholicism?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

A fair point.

I looked at this thread and my first thought was "Yay! One more thing to not give a shit about" but this lot are rather "predatory" in their dealings with dissenters so it's kind of worrying that they've now got a legal standing.
    Forum Member

I know exactly what Scientology is.
    May I suggest you read up on the criminal activities of other more traditional religions.
    A good point to start would be the funding of terrorist organisations or the hiding of peadophiles.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »
    I know exactly what Scientology is.
    May I suggest you read up on the criminal activities of other more traditional religions.
    A good point to start would be the funding of terrorist organisations or the hiding of peadophiles.

There probably wouldn't be anything to read if it was about scientology though. It'd all be wrapped up in superinjunctions and libel suits.

And Father Ted probably wouldn't have happened. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    It's the last line of that article that's key, though. Tax breaks etc for religions are usually predicated on the idea that religion provides a "service" to the public and to society at large. Now, whether one believes they provide any kind of service at all is entirely up for debate, but the thing about $cientology is that the "public" part isn't fulfilled in any way at all.

Unless they start giving their teachings and auditing away for free, I can't see that changing. As a profit-making organisation which actively excludes the public, they're kinda different.

FWIW I despise the Co$ with a passion, but I don't have a problem with it being a place where $cilons can get married. That doesn't bother me at all; people should be able to get married wherever they want.

For years the whole service issue has blocked Scientology from getting tax relief through charitable status. This case was brought as a new attempt to get around that by simply having the cult recognised as a religion.

Louisa Hodkin's father, Peter, has acted as a solicitor for the 'church' in the past and has sent out cease and desist letters to critics and protesters in an attempt to intimidate us into silence.