Scientology now recognised as a religion in the UK

Comments

• Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally misleading thread title, Scientology has not been recognised as a religion at all. All that has happened is a Scientology centre has been given the status of a place of religious worship for the purposes of holding weddings, big difference.
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further proof of what idiots our senior judges are.

Well that will mean loads of tax breaks for Scientology now, so expect them to expand and hoover up more members.

Personally, I'll stick with the Epsilon Program.

Kifflom! Brother Brother

One of the biggest drain on resources is paying business rates and up until now most local councils haven't given Scientology buildings the mandatory 80 per cent rates relief requested.

Now there will be full rates relief on all those buildings, buildings bought with money donated by people sucked into the cult.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That they are more overt about their desire for gain is not enough of a distinguishing factor in my eyes. I've given my reasons above for why I compare them to other religions (some of which deserve the title "criminal enterprise" no less) and to me they are very valid.

Nope. There are other churches (or equivalent) that may equally deserve the title, but that's not the same as the religions themselves deserving it.

The Catholic Church isn't Christianity, for example. It's a Christian Church, but it isn't Christianity.

There is no such separation between faith and church in $cientology. $cientology has no independent existence as a religion outwith the bounds of the Co$. The closest you get is the Freezoners trying to use "Hubbard Tech" without recourse to Miscavige, but they're not allowed to because the Church OWNS the religion. In no other faith is this true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally misleading thread title, Scientology has not been recognised as a religion at all. All that has happened is a Scientology centre has been given the status of a place of religious worship for the purposes of holding weddings, big difference.

Which is giving it religious recognition when it comes the only thing important to the Scientology leadership, which is how much cash can be gathered into the coffers.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Nope. There are other churches (or equivalent) that may equally deserve the title, but that's not the same as the religions themselves deserving it.

The Catholic Church isn't Christianity, for example. It's a Christian Church, but it isn't Christianity.

There is no such separation between faith and church in $cientology. $cientology has no independent existence as a religion outwith the bounds of the Co$. The closest you get is the Freezoners trying to use "Hubbard Tech" without recourse to Miscavige, but they're not allowed to because the Church OWNS the religion. In no other faith is this true.
    If I said they're the same as all churches would that please you? It's quibbling over petty semantics in real world terms but I only want to make you happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I said they're the same as all churches would that please you?

No, I don't believe all churches ARE criminal enterprises. I'm pretty sure even you only said "some" in your last post.
    It's quibbling over petty semantics in real world terms but I only want to make you happy.

It really isn't, it's the key difference. You can be an adherent of any religion without being a member of a criminal organisation. You CAN'T be an adherent of $cientology without being a member of a criminal organisation. If that's just "quibbling over petty semantics" then I don't really see the point in continuing this.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dove wrote: »
    News is just coming from the Supreme Court that Scientology has won it's case to be officially recognised as a real religion in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25331754

Now to get rid of tax exemptions for religions, then.:D
  • LucyconLucycon Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    The Dove wrote: »
    It's legal recognition of it being a religion in the UK, no act of parliament required.

However much you think this Supreme Court judgement is a state recognition of Scientology as a religion, it really isn't. The only place it is recognised is in the Royal Navy apparently.

The UK recognises Scientology as a charity, nothing more and it would take an Act of Parliament to change that.
    The UK government does not classify the Church of Scientology as a religious institution.[58] The Church's application for charity status in England and Wales was rejected in 1999,[59] and the Church has not exercised its right of appeal.[58] However, in 2000, the Church of Scientology was exempted from UK value added tax on the basis that it is a not-for-profit body.[60] The Ministry of Defence has confirmed that Scientology is "an officially recognised religion in the Royal Navy".[59] The UK Prison Service does not recognize Scientology as a religion, but prisoners who are registered as Scientologists may practice their religion and are given access to a representative of the Church of Scientology if they wish to receive its ministry.[58]
    The UK government has openly criticized the Church in the past, as documented in 1971 in the Foster Report, but places no restrictions upon its activities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_status_by_country
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    No, I don't believe all churches ARE criminal enterprises. I'm pretty sure even you only said "some" in your last post.
    Then I guess you didn't read what the "same" actually refers to in my previous explanation.
    It really isn't, it's the key difference. You can be an adherent of any religion without being a member of a criminal organisation. You CAN'T be an adherent of $cientology without being a member of a criminal organisation. If that's just "quibbling over petty semantics" then I don't really see the point in continuing this.
    See above. You reasoning doesn't really affect mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then I guess you didn't read what the "same" actually refers to in my previous explanation.

Ah, my mistake! Apologies, you were referring to some religions (as well as subsequently "all churches"). Which ones? (Religions, that is).
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Now to get rid of tax exemptions for religions, then.:D

I agree to the extent that religious organisations should not get any tax or rate reliefs for simply promoting their religion or for any buildings used for such purposes. They should get relief for any truly charitable activites they are involved in just like any non-religious charity has to.

If this distinction had been made in the past we would not have this problem of Scientology getting any rate (or potentially tax relief). I bet they will use this judgement as an argument for obtaining charitable status and further tax relief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I agree to the extent that religious organisations should not get any tax or rate reliefs for simply promoting their religion or for any buildings used for such purposes. They should get relief for any truly charitable activites they are involved in just like any non-religious charity has to.

I'll agree with that.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Lucycon wrote: »
    However much you think this Supreme Court judgement is a state recognition of Scientology as a religion, it really isn't. The only place it is recognised is in the Royal Navy apparently.

The UK recognises Scientology as a charity, nothing more and it would take an Act of Parliament to change that.

My concern with the ruling is that Scientology will see it as a foot in the door. It will be seen as a step toward legitimisation and they will no doubt, increase their lobbying for their status to change from "charity" to "religion".

I just can't see why the Supreme Court couldn't see that this was the real reason for the case.
  • LucyconLucycon Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    My concern with the ruling is that Scientology will see it as a foot in the door. It will be seen as a step toward legitimisation and they will no doubt, increase their lobbying for their status to change from "charity" to "religion".

I just can't see why the Supreme Court couldn't see that this was the real reason for the case.

I can't see it ever happening myself.

Government ministers have referred to it it the past as 'evil', and in the late 60's I remember Hubbard being told to leave the UK and not return.
    In a House of Commons of the United Kingdom speech on 25 July 1968, Minister for Health Kenneth Robinson said Scientology's practices were "a potential menace to the personality and well-being of those so deluded as to become its followers".[31] He described Scientology as "so objectionable that it would be right to take all steps (...) to curb its growth,"[32] and so introduced a ban on the immigration of foreign Scientologists.[3][6][33] Until then, the Hubbard College of Scientology had, as a recognised educational institution, been allowed to receive foreign students.[34] Foreign Scientologists already in the country were not allowed to stay.[34] According to an internal document from 1976, some of the Church's intelligence staff got around the ban by giving false information to immigration officials.[27] Hubbard left the UK permanently in 1969, moving Scientology's world headquarters to a fleet of ships.[18] The Home Office told him not to return.[31]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_in_the_United_Kingdom
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

It appears that scientology is not recognised as a Charity in the UK. However the Inland Revenue recognises it as non-profit organisation and it is therefore exempt from VAT apparently.

I do agree they will probably use this ridiculous judgement to add religion to their status. If they get that I can see no reason why they would not get charitable status because promoting religion (any religion) is under Charity Commission rules a charitable purpose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    It appears that scientology is not recognised as a Charity in the UK. However the Inland Revenue recognises it as non-profit organisation and it is therefore exempt from VAT apparently.

I do agree they will probably use this ridiculous judgement to add religion to their status. If they get that I can see no reason why they would not get charitable status because promoting religion (any religion) is under Charity Commission rules a charitable purpose.

I agree too, I hope not though.

Going back to those of you who think Scientology is no worse than other religions, do you know of any other religions that hold their executives in a on site private prison (known as The Hole)?
    ...a place of confinement and humiliation where Scientology's management culture — always demanding — grew extreme. Inside, a who's who of Scientology leadership went at each other with brutal tongue lashings, and even hands and fists. They intimidated each other into crawling on their knees and standing in trash cans and confessing to things they hadn't done. They lived in degrading conditions, eating and sleeping in cramped spaces designed for office use...

What about vicious games of musical chairs, but with a twist?
    The room has been cleared out. Now the WDC Conference room is much bigger than any other conference rooms on the base. It is basically two trailers put together with no walls or post to block Dave’s view of anyone on the meeting. That is why he likes meeting in this room, he can be close enough to the large amount of people in the meeting to read their reactions. Well, with the table cleared out, there is a lot of people now in the room. All CMO Int except for two Gold Execs. No one had a clue why we are there. We know that Dave was happy about some idea that he had come up while listening to a Queen album and other than that the meeting purpose is unknown. It is around 5:30PM.

Dave shows up and talks about the org boards and postings, He also talks about how there have been over 500 people that have been musical chaired off post over the last 5 years. (He leaves out the part about most of them being as a result of his orders) He then asks a few people what musical chairs means. About 3 people answer with the Scientology definition of musical chairs, no one seems to know that it means something else. One guy from Programs says that it is a game. Dave has him explain the game to everybody.

“Good. So you guys understand the game?” Dave asks. “Okay, well today we are all going to find out how the entirety of Scientology feels about you guys playing musical chairs with the posts of international Scientology orgs and the Int Base. We are going to play the game musical chairs, but with a twist. You are all going to walk around these chairs here, while the music plays, a chair will be removed, and whoever does not get a chair when the music stops, well, that person will be offloaded from the Int Base.”

“Those are the rules and that is the game. Oh and the person who is left standing when all but one chair is pulled out will stay here and help me repost the base and get Scientology expanded. This is not a joke and I am not kidding. You guys have ****ed with me for the last time. I am going to find out right now and right here, who is the most determined to stay here.”

You can imagine the horror on the faces in the room. There were about 70 people in the room and everybody knew that this was going to be a very cutthroat ordeal.

And what did “offloaded” mean? There were so many definitions for this word at the Int Base that this was not so clear. To most this would mean that they were going to be given $500 put on a bus to the middle of nowhere and told to never come back. Some had the hope that it meant to a lower org maybe. To some it meant going to the RPF in ANZO, CANADA or AFRICA where no external trouble could be caused.

There was a lot of fumbling around to get the chairs into a giant circle. Dave had the Cine Sec Gold (Federico Tisi) bring up a video camera so they whole thing could be videoed. This was going to be a major production!

Dave played a few CDs. The Queen one did not work for what he was trying to do. “We are the Champions” was not the right message for this. “Mozart's Requiem Mass” was what I think he ended up using. How appropriate!

Anyway, the first people to go were the usual suspects, the older, more reserved bunch. As people would leave the game, Dave had them lined up in one area of the room. He would jab comments at them and apologize for it having to end up like this. If the person was married or had a spouse in Gold, he would ask them why they had not thought about this before. “Is it real to you now?” he would ask.

One guy, John Oldfield, was leaving the game. He was married to Megan Oldfield in Gold. She was a video editor and they had been married at least few years. John had tears running down his face. Dave asked him why he was crying. John said that he was going to miss Megan and that he did not want to have to leave like this. Dave said, “Well you never cried for me!”

To prove that he was not kidding, Dave had one of his staff go off and come back with actual airline tickets printed up with the people’s names on them. They were handed out to people that had been kicked from the game so far.

You can read the whole story here, as told by former cult member/staffer Marc Headley (a.k.a. bfg - Blown for Good), who later wrote a book about his experiences - called, funnily enough, Blown For Good, which is on Amazon. (In Scientology, to 'blow' means to escape)
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind that in that post about musical chairs, 'RPF' stands for 'Rehabilitation Project Force', a sort of prison programme within the Co$. 'COB' stands for 'Chairman of the Board (Religious Technology Centre)', a.k.a. the church leader David Miscavige.

The musical chairs story was later confirmed by other ex-members/staffers, including former no. 2 Marty Rathbun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK does not 'recognise' religions. So the OP is a load of crap. The UK has one established church. The law does not declare whether any other religion is a 'real' religion or not. It has no need to do that. Why would it do that? The word religion is used in many legal contexts, and its meaning is often different depending on the context. But we do not, with the exception of the established church, have state approved or recognised religions. We have freedom of thought and belief, subject to the criminal law.

This ruling simply declares that the chapel at 146 Queen Victoria Street, London is a place of meeting for religious worship within section 2 of Places of Worship Registration Act 1855; and orders the Registrar General to register the chapel under section 3 of that Act and as a place for the solemnisation of marriages under section 41(1) of the Marriage Act.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they got banned from plymouth city centre as I have not seen them for about year with their cart.
    However occasionally I see one of them handing out flyers asking if people have been damaged by psychotherapy that they can get help through them... however there is no mention of scientology on it but if you look up their company on the leaflet its linked to them....I have good arguments with them, I did steal all their leaflets and throw them in the bin once.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Scientology is not a religion it's a pyramid scheme.

Awful if it can now qualify for tax exemption in the UK.

THAT'S THE ONLY REASON they have

disgusting really
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Religion my arse! It's nothing but a sinister and murderous organised crime syndicate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louisa Hodkin is the third generation of her family to use UK courts to help the cult.

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/j/bluesky_background.html

And here's video of her father trying to stop a legal protest. From now on he will probably be using the religious hatred laws to prevent similar actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8oW5VwzqI
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but anyone comparing Scientology with other religions needs to do a bit more research.

I suggest this as a starting point. It's written by an investigative journalist who followed Scientology's dubious activity and includes links to exposés by ex scientologists.

http://www.villagevoice.com/related/to/Scientology/

I've done a lot of research into this lot (and it IS a cult IMO) because the level of alleged unethical and yes, illegal behaviour is just extraordinary and fascinated me. Among the multitude of case studies and testimony, I learned:

- David Miscavage is allegedly a tyrannical, megalomaniacal and violent man who lives a life of extraordinary opulence provided by the Church. He allegedly abuses his staff ('servants'), plays cruel mind games, is a dangerous control freak, who publicly beat up senior Scientologists (causing them to leave and write exposés) and whose wife hasn't been seen for years. Disappeared. And if you dare to question where she went, watch out, as Leah Rimini discovered. The more I read about Miscavige the more he sounds like an archetype of the unhinged narcissist cult leader.

- Scientologist workers endure ridiculous working hours and conditions, are under extreme pressure to meet recruitment and financial targets for pitiful pay. We're talking a few dollars a week for 80+ hours work. It's all about making money, and the costs of achieving the OT levels run into the 100s of 1000s. Total scam. One single mother lived with her daughter in a tiny hotel room. She saw her young daughter rarely due to her working hours. Her 'escape' from the church was planned with military precision and honestly reads like a story of a battered wife leaving an abusive husband. She had to save up her pitiful earnings over time, hide some meagre belongings away from the base, seek the help of an outsider and literally flee with her daughter. There are dozens of similar accounts.

- People leaving and criticising Scientology are 'disconnected' whereby loved ones cut them out. The church denies/lies about this practice but it's been documented over and over. Some of the most vocal ex-members are subject to an orchestrated programme of intimidation. I've seen this in several documentaries: they're followed, groups stand outside their house night and day, they heckle and get aggressive if challenged. It's so sinister. Again the church denies that it's behind this as policy. Again there is demonstrable evidence suggesting otherwise. Panorama did a good documentary on this.

- Out of favour executives were sent to 'The Hole' for minor transgressions. This has been likened by victims to a prison or concentration camp. Here's an extract from an article including testimony from senior ex scientologists...
    Debbie Cook was in for only 7 weeks in 2007, but her experience was brutal. She testified that Miscavige had two hulking guards climb into her office through a window as she was talking to him on the phone. "Goodbye" he told her as she was hauled off to the gulag. Like Rinder, she described a place where dozens of men and women were confined to what had been a set of offices. Cook testified that the place was ant-infested, and during one two-week stretch in the summer with temperatures over 100 degrees, Miscavige had the air conditioning turned off as punishment. Food was brought up in a vat riding on a golf cart. Cook described it as a barely edible "slop" that was fed to them morning, noon, and night. Longtime residents of the Hole began to look gaunt.

They had to find places on the floor or on desks to sleep at night.

In the morning, they were marched out of the offices and through a tunnel under Gilman Springs Road to a large building with communal showers. They were then marched back to the Hole, and during the day would be compelled to take part in mass confessions.

During these, Rinder says people he had considered friends would put on a show for the officials overseeing them, trying to outdo each other with vile accusations against each other. Cook testified that Miscavige wanted Marc Yager and Guillaume Lesevre, two of his longest-serving and highest-ranking officials, to confess to having a homosexual affair. The men were beaten until they made some forced admissions. When Cook objected to what was happening, she herself was made to stand in a trash can for twelve hours while insults were hurled at her, she was called a lesbian, and water was dumped on her head.

She testified that she saw one man, Mark Ginge Nelson, beaten and then made to lick a bathroom floor for half an hour. [Note: Cook testified that she witnessed this punishment at a Scientology location in Los Angeles, not in the Hole. Nelson, she testified, received this punishment for daring to object to the way executives were being locked up in the Hole.]

Rinder and Cook both eventually got out of the Hole in 2007 when Miscavige needed them on projects elsewhere. But others have reportedly spent five to seven years locked up in the Hole.

I can't do justice to the scope and range of breathtaking stories and allegations, which include dodgy deaths, forced abortions, missing people, and financial activities. If you're interested, the link further up is like falling down the rabbit hole.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knowing what I do about Scientology, I am disgusted by ths decision.

Britain really doesn't have any sort of backbone at all, does it? :(
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but anyone comparing Scientology with other religions needs to do a bit more research.

I suggest this as a starting point. It's written by an investigative journalist who followed Scientology's dubious activity and includes links to exposés by ex scientologists.

http://www.villagevoice.com/related/to/Scientology/

I've done a lot of research into this lot (and it IS a cult IMO) because the level of alleged unethical and yes, illegal behaviour is just extraordinary and fascinated me. Among the multitude of case studies and testimony, I learned:

- David Miscavage is allegedly a tyrannical, megalomaniacal and violent man who lives a life of extraordinary opulence provided by the Church. He allegedly abuses his staff ('servants'), plays cruel mind games, is a dangerous control freak, who publicly beat up senior Scientologists (causing them to leave and write exposés) and whose wife hasn't been seen for years. Disappeared. And if you dare to question where she went, watch out, as Leah Rimini discovered. The more I read about Miscavige the more he sounds like an archetype of the unhinged narcissist cult leader.

- Scientologist workers endure ridiculous working hours and conditions, are under extreme pressure to meet recruitment and financial targets for pitiful pay. We're talking a few dollars a week for 80+ hours work. It's all about making money, and the costs of achieving the OT levels run into the 100s of 1000s. Total scam. One single mother lived with her daughter in a tiny hotel room. She saw her young daughter rarely due to her working hours. Her 'escape' from the church was planned with military precision and honestly reads like a story of a battered wife leaving an abusive husband. She had to save up her pitiful earnings over time, hide some meagre belongings away from the base, seek the help of an outsider and literally flee with her daughter. There are dozens of similar accounts.

- People leaving and criticising Scientology are 'disconnected' whereby loved ones cut them out. The church denies/lies about this practice but it's been documented over and over. Some of the most vocal ex-members are subject to an orchestrated programme of intimidation. I've seen this in several documentaries: they're followed, groups stand outside their house night and day, they heckle and get aggressive if challenged. It's so sinister. Again the church denies that it's behind this as policy. Again there is demonstrable evidence suggesting otherwise. Panorama did a good documentary on this.

- Out of favour executives were sent to 'The Hole' for minor transgressions. This has been likened by victims to a prison or concentration camp. Here's an extract from an article including testimony from senior ex scientologists...

I can't do justice to the scope and range of breathtaking stories and allegations, which include dodgy deaths, forced abortions, missing people, and financial activities. If you're interested, the link further up is like falling down the rabbit hole.

You're absolutely right. In fact, may I recommend you visit The Underground Bunker
    , which is a daily blog by the journalist you mentioned above, whose name is Tony Ortega. He is an excellent source of information.

In related news, the Scientology wedding hoo-hah was covered on Newsnight last night, and Jeremy Paxman interviewed Marc Headley, the ex-cult member whom I mentioned earlier on in the thread.

EDIT: The link to last night's Newsnight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=13MjITXZpFw