Options

The HAMMER HORROR thread (any fans)

ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes I know some ill informed people think they're a bit cheesy but I still love the old Hammer Horror films.
Some of my favourites are
'Taste of Fear' (aka Scream of fear)
'Revenge of Frankenstein'
'Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde'
'Dracula'
'Dracula Prince of Darkness'
'The Mummy'

are there any fans out there

Comments

• Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I watched a more recent hammer over Christmas, think it was called Wakewood. Very creepy but a poor relation to the classics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    I love all the old Hammers..........even the slightly inferior ones.
    And beside the two major names, what a fantastic group of supporting character actors.
    Miles Malleson and Barbara Shelley among two of my many favourites.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching Hammer films since the first Quatermass film to the Woman in Black and everything in between

favourites?/

all Quatermasses (paticullay the PIt one )

all Frankenstein and Dracula films
    The Woman in Black

The latest one is The Quiet Ones
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm determined to have seen every Hammer Horror film before I die - got through 11 so far, so I'll be busy for a while yet!

'The Nanny' is probably my favourite of the ones I've seen, but I love the first Dracula/Frankenstein films and 'Plague of the Zombies' too.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the old Hammer films with my favourites being:

All the Dracula films
    All the non-Dracula vampire films
    The Mummy films
    The Old Dark House
    Night Creatures
    Quatermass and the Pit
    The Devil Rides Out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    used to watch all the dracula films with my dad when i was young

christopher lee was superb as dracula

also the devil rides out was one of my dads favorite films.
    always found that one a bit creepy

dracula has risen from the grave. that priest was so creepy at the start.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    The full collection of hammer movieson 21 discs has been on Amazon for between £23 and £27 the price going up and down like it does. I kept meaning to buy them. Just checked the price.....£100.
    So now I am back to monitoring the price unti lit comes down again. Fortune favours the brave and all that.

The Hammer Story by Marcus Hearn. I got it from the library ( use em or loose em ) and recommend it for any fans.

In the same vein I also love stuff by Hammers great rivals Amacus. They produced portmanteu type movies where a collection of short films would be told oneafter another.
    The Vault of Horror etc.
    The earliest of this type I ever saw was in a superb little film by Ealing called The Dead of Night. ( 1945 ) I cant recommend this movie enough for any one into early horror.
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Great time for fans at the moment with Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell coming out on Blu at the end of the month. First time uncut in the UK too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The full collection of hammer movieson 21 discs has been on Amazon for between £23 and £27 the price going up and down like it does. I kept meaning to buy them. Just checked the price.....£100.
    So now I am back to monitoring the price unti lit comes down again. Fortune favours the brave and all that.

I got it a while back, when it was around £30, it's a great set. Only downside is it only includes films from the mid-1960s onwards, so you don't get the early Dracula/Frankenstein/Mummy films - even though some of the later sequels are included. Still, definitely worth the price if it ever comes down again.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first third of Curse Of The Werewolf is good film by any standards. Goes off a bit then, but still OK.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Cracking studio that often spun gold from a very economic approach, yet still came up trumps with more expansive productions.

Faves:

Taste of Fear
    The Plague of the Zombies
    The Abominable Snowman
    Quatermass 2

All terrific with a slew of others not too far behind.
  • Options
    DeepBlueTwoDeepBlueTwo Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Still love the B&W Quatermasses, and watch them regularly. Woman In Black was a Hammer too (didn't know that), and not bad at all IMO.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Great movies... gotta love the 18th and 19th cent costumes,
    the stagecoaches, the romantic castles.

But did nt it all hit the buffers around the mid 70s ?
    just around the time that the Carry On series hit the buffers ?

( Video Recorders and Video Shops were booming around that time too, reducing the cinema audiences )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the films with Vincent Price in are pretty good, I think of The Fall Of The House Of Usher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Some of the films with Vincent Price in are pretty good, I think of The Fall Of The House Of Usher.

Great film, but it's not a Hammer production. In fact, Vincent Price never appeared in a Hammer film, though he did take some roles with Hammer actors such as Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing that were made for other studios.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i used to watch Hammer House of Horror ..wasn't it a series in the 70's, used to scare me haha
  • Options
    ClanroydenClanroyden Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    My favourite Hammer films are

The Devil Rides Out
    The Curse of Frankenstein
    Dracula
    Quatermass and the Pit
    The Face of Fu Manchu

I love the look of the Hammer films shot in colour on Eastmancolor film stock.

And an unusual non horror Hammer - Cash on Demand with Peter Cushing superb as the bank manager and Andre Morell as a very smooth villian. Great stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    Great film, but it's not a Hammer production. In fact, Vincent Price never appeared in a Hammer film, though he did take some roles with Hammer actors such as Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing that were made for other studios.

Thanks for that. In my memory, Usher, Pit and the Pendulum, etc. are Hammer films, and looking them up now I see they are a separate American series made by Roger Corman. Makes me wonder who was copying who, as the styles are extremely similar.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Was nt Roger Corman a kind of wonderkind director back in the 60s ? to produce such a brilliant , stylish film
    way back in 1961 !
    It must have made the Hammer boys sit up and take
    notice.
    Jane Asher was in .... Masque of the Red Death a 1964 Roger Corman movie ...
    she must have been 15 or something back then !
    It was prob filmed in UK studios ?

Big up to Roger Corman... hes still going strong ... age 88

• Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goes without saying that Dracula is a classic.
    I saw Never Take Sweets From a Stranger, thanks to the R1 compilation released several years ago. Controversial film about a paedophile from 1960.

As for my favourites maybe The Reptile and The Karnstein trilogy. Vampire Lovers, Lust For A Vampire and Twins of Evil. There's a lot wrong with Lust For a Vampire, but as a threesome very enjoyable.
  • Options
    AFanOfBigBroAFanOfBigBro Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o:o:):)
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the most horrific Hammer film of all has to be On the Buses.:*)