Networked printer problem

DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey people,

OK, so I've got a bit of a problem with a networked printer, as it takes a long time to 'spool'.

So, there is a Windows XP SP3 machine, directly connected to the printer via USB which prints no problem. The second computer (running Windows Vista SP2) is connected to the printer via a wired network (the printer is shared over the wired network), and this is the computer that is having problems. It takes approximately 5 minutes before anything starts printing (regardless of the file contents or size) as it is 'spooling' for a long time. When it finally does print, there are no problems.

I've tried re-adding the printer and the Vista machine installs the drivers etc. automatically and says everything should be working, but alas it does not (quite!).

Any ideas?

Would it work if I tried to connect the printer directly to the Vista desktop (thus installing Vista drivers), and then when sharing the printer, select the option to have 'Additional Drivers' for other version of Windows? The thing is the location of the desktops may prohibit this.

I'm not sure of the exact printer model (it's not my house, it's a friend's), but it's an Epson of some sort.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's just installing the driver from the XP machine, then obviously it's installing an XP driver, not a Vista driver. You can imagine this can lead to problems.

I'd manually install the Vista driver, and use LPT1, then once the driver installation is complete, manually edit the properties of the printer to use the network path of the printer on the other computer, rather than LPT1.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    If it's just installing the driver from the XP machine, then obviously it's installing an XP driver, not a Vista driver. You can imagine this can lead to problems.

I'd manually install the Vista driver, and use LPT1, then once the driver installation is complete, manually edit the properties of the printer to use the network path of the printer on the other computer, rather than LPT1.

Yeah, I did assume that would be the problem, but I couldn't think of a way to get a Vista driver onto the Vista machine when adding the networked printer.

Sorry to sound like a novice, but when you say use 'LPT1', what exactly are you referring to? The cable? http://www.pcfloripa.com.br/loja/images/cabo_paralelo_3mt_5018.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, when you manually install a printer the wizard asks you what port the printer will be attached to. LPT1 is the old style parallel printer port to which you connect the type of cable you linked to. The advantage of choosing this port is this will allow you to complete the wizard without actually having the printer plugged into any of the computer's physical ports. Obviously you want to choose not to print the test page.

I thought about it after my last post, and once the driver is on there if you browse to the printer over the network like you did before, and double-click on it - this should then set up the printer using the driver you just installed. Once that's done you can delete the dummy printer you used to install the driver.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    No, when you manually install a printer the wizard asks you what port the printer will be attached to. LPT1 is the old style parallel printer port to which you connect the type of cable you linked to. The advantage of choosing this port is this will allow you to complete the wizard without actually having the printer plugged into any of the computer's physical ports. Obviously you want to choose not to print the test page.

I thought about it after my last post, and once the driver is on there if you browse to the printer over the network like you did before, and double-click on it - this should then set up the printer using the driver you just installed. Once that's done you can delete the dummy printer you used to install the driver.

OK, I will try that.

Thanks very much for your help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No probs.

Don't forget to report back what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the solution didn't work - still spooled for a while.
    So instead I connected the printer via USB to the Vista computer and then got the XP computer to connect via printer sharing. This fixed the problem and they now both print instantly.