DJ Moyles in on-air rant over pay

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    funci wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but wasn't there something on Question Time about top earners in the Beeb not being paid for 2 months?

Sorry if this is wrong, it's just a vague recollection, but surely this would then apply to him.

I have 43p in my purse to last until Saturday so to be honest I have very little sympathy for someone who is as unfunny as he is hideous. I think he should be shown the door and let someone who can at least empathise with their listeners take the helm.

Brilliant post funci - gives real perspective.

I can't stand Chris Moyles either. He should never have progressed from Radio TopShop. I think Radio Asda would be a good home for him as I always listen to my MP3 player in there.

I'm thrilled that Chris Evans (who used to be odious, but then discovered humility) trounces him in the RAJAR polls each quarter :-)
  • slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    birdsong wrote: »
    Employers like the BBC don't just not pay staff for two months. There must be more to this.

I suspect that he's not actually staff at all but a contractor who submits invoices rather than getting paid on a particular date via payroll. Probably because it's favourable with his tax to be paid this way.

If he sumbmitted an invoice late or without paperwork it would have been delayed. There was a computer glitch but even if there was they would still have put it on the next payment run which couldn't have delayed it more than a couple of weeks.

I think he's f****d up, or his accountants have which caused most of the delay and he's whinging because the BBC delayed it for another week or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzybird wrote: »
    Sounds like he needs to take some time out and sort his head out. He can afford to, unlike his listeners who have to carry on working through personal / working problems.

Totally agree. And I don't buy all this 'I slept on a mates sofa' business. If he did, he did it out of choice or not wanting to pay for a hotel or find a new flat.

It's not like he's some poor sod who's lost everything and the only thing he has to depend on is the kindness of his mates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But not on air, he should take it up with the people responsible behind closed doors. I'm sure anybody who publicly slagged off their employer, on their employers time and in their employers workplace would be on very dodgy ground in respect of their current job, let alone future prospects.

I agree with previous poster though who said it's very unlikely that a company like the Beeb would not make an error like this and even if they did it would be easy to correct by the end of a working day. Something fishy. Did the girlfriend share his account?:D

Not by the end of the day, payments usually take at least 3 days from the company sending it to it appearing in the employee or suppliers bank account so if the payment was late and he didn't realise until the day it was supposed to be there it could take 3/4 days to clear and possibly they might have had to wait for a payment run but that still wouldn't delay it longer than a week.
  • FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    Actually it is only one month - he was paid at the end of July which means that he missed August.

If you are including September then it isn't the end of the month yet.

I have had a company miss my payment once for one month and it was pretty annoying, but I can not find too much sympathy for this man.

I'm assuming that yesterday was pay day and that's why he kicked off because his money wasn't in again.

While I loathe Chris Moyles with a gleeful passion - to the poster that said he can afford it - well he might not be able to afford it - just because you get paid a lot doesn't mean you don't have just as huge outgoings as well.

As for his on-air rant - yep - take it up with the people that have f**ked up not make your poor listeners have to put up with your grievances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soldiersn Afghanistan....

Junior doctors and nurses working a 12 hour shift...

Emergency services going out to rescue people from dire situations - or "pick up the pieces" :( ....

The lady who comes into my Supermarket, who works at Demelza Children's Hospice who sits at night, comforting and holding tightly the bereaved parents of a much loved child........

and there is Chris Moyles, an overpaid, shouty, unkempt and looking unwashed, lard arse....
    I am crying for you Mr Moyles...

:rolleyes:

Best post of the thread. :)

I definitely think you should email that into radio one.

The man is fat egotistical oaf, and I will look forward to the day he is replaced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that makes me really annoyed is that if there is any element of human error some poor sod in accounts on £14,000 a year is going to take the rap for it, and his kicking off in public is going to make it ten times worse for them.
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I like Chris Moyles and his radio show is by far the best one around at the moment.

Yes, he probably gets paid a hell of a lot more that the average man, but he must have higher outgoings than most too.

It doesn't matter whether you earn £10,000 a year or £100,000 a year - you should get paid on time and be safe in the knowledge that your mortgage is going to get paid thus not damaging your credit rating etc.

His public/on air persona is very different to who he is off air - my friend used to work at the BBC and said he was a really nice bloke. He has a character that he plays and does it well, in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong thread. Whoops.
  • ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    yeah the thought of him not being able to pay his mortgage, or not having the change to pay for his next bargain bucket, just brings a tear to the eye don't it. *sniff*.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    He shouldn't rant about his personal problems on air. I stopped listening to Radio 1 after listening to him a few times. He's ego mad. Sort out your pay and personal life off air Moyles.

I dislike all DJs who talk more than play music. Stop the waffle and play the music. The more they waffle (and it's usually about themselves) the more I turn off or put a CD on so you just get 100% music.

Radio is pretty much dead because of these ego maniacs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're in the middle of one of the worst recessions since the 1930's and this insensitive twerp decides to throw his toys out of the pram and draw attention to himself about missing 2 months worth of a £600,000 salary. ..........
    He is perfectly entitled to complain about it to the powers that be in private, but the license payers that contribute to this smug arrogant ****'s salary do not deserve to be subjected to his self pitying whining. He is paid to do a job and by not playing music and ranting he was not doing the job.

*applause*
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind how much he is paid or that he was angry about not being paid. However, it is very childish to bring it up in such a way on radio. I'm sure if he just went to his boss and had an adult conversation in the first place it would have been sorted out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I love the spite and bitterness thats shown in this thread, he gets paid lots - get over it.

We could never afford to pay nurses, soldiers or the fire service the same amount.

If you want him to go then who would you replace him with? this should be interesting...... *waits to see silly list of names*
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many people here and elsewhere who have moaned about him doing this actually listen to his show?

If your a fan of the show you know he is very open about his personal life and discusses it in detail on the air. It's part of the appeal of his show, and it's something most fan enjoy hearing. I know I enjoy hearing about what he and the time have gotten up too over the weekend, or any problems they are having etc.

The fact he isn't well, has just split up with his long term girl friend and hasn't been paid for almost 2 months has just built up inside of him and I don't see anything wrong with ranting about it on the air. It's his style, it's the way the show has been done for years so this type of thing is no surprise to the normal listener.

It's just like the Andrew Sachs and Jonathan Ross thing all over again, most people who are moaning about it didn't even listen to the show.

As for the people making playground remarks about his weight, grow up :rolleyes: Again if you listened to the show you would have known for a long time now Chris has been working hard to lose weight, something he talks about on his show. I know some people personally who have been encouraged by his effort and decided to try and do something about themselves too.
  • kpmfankpmfan Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    If you want him to go then who would you replace him with?

A tub of lard?
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    We're in the middle of one of the worst recessions since the 1930's and this insensitive twerp decides to throw his toys out of the pram and draw attention to himself about missing 2 months worth of a £600,000 salary. I'm sure the public sector workers facing savage cuts are in wholehearted agreement and empathy with him:rolleyes:

He is perfectly entitled to complain about it to the powers that be in private, but the license payers that contribute to this smug arrogant ****'s salary do not deserve to be subjected to his self pitying whining. He is paid to do a job and by not playing music and ranting he was not doing the job.

Boo-hoo he's had personal problems recently - haven't we all?

I hope they sack him; he's outdated and unfunny.

Totally agree. He's already extremely over-paid and the sooner the BBC get rid of him the better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Totally agree. He's already extremely over-paid and the sooner the BBC get rid of him the better.

Why? Do you listen to him? I'm guessing not. What about his 8 million listeners who are fans that tune in every day, is it fair for them the BBC should get rid of him because people that don't listen to him don't like him? :rolleyes:
  • barkleybarkley Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Chwast wrote: »
    yeah the thought of him not being able to pay his mortgage, or not having the change to pay for his next bargain bucket, just brings a tear to the eye don't it. *sniff*.

Only tears of laughter.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Why? Do you listen to him? I'm guessing not. What about his 8 million listeners who are fans that tune in every day, is it fair for them the BBC should get rid of him because people that don't listen to him don't like him? :rolleyes:

So because of that, Moyles should be able to behave how he wants? As far as I'm concerned, his popularity is an irrelevance. - if he's comitted a sackable offence, he should be sacked! I seem to recall that Jonathan Ross was popular, but that didn't stop the BBC from disciplining him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    So because of that, Moyles should be able to behave how he wants? As far as I'm concerned, his popularity is an irrelevance. - if he's comitted a sackable offence, he should be sacked! I seem to recall that Jonathan Ross was popular, but that didn't stop the BBC from disciplining him!

But the thing is, after re-listening to his "rant", it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. He spent more time talking about how they don't get milk in the basement than him not being paid.

It's just another anti-Moyles story the media have blown way out of proportion and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Such as the pathetic people posting fat jokes and saying he should be sacked. It's the same thing every time one of these stories are printed, you always get childish people posting fat jokes and others who don't listen to him claiming he should be sacked.

Edit - His actual rant was probably for only 5 min.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    But the thing is, after re-listening to his "rant", it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. He spent more time talking about how they don't get milk in the basement than him not being paid.

It's just another anti-Moyles story the media have blown way out of proportion and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Such as the pathetic people posting fat jokes and saying he should be sacked. It's the same thing every time one of these stories are printed, you always get childish people posting fat jokes and others who don't listen to him claiming he should be sacked.

Edit - His actual rant was probably for only 5 min.

I couldnt have said it better myself ! :)
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the spite and bitterness thats shown in this thread, he gets paid lots - get over it.

We could never afford to pay nurses, soldiers or the fire service the same amount.

If you want him to go then who would you replace him with? this should be interesting...... *waits to see silly list of names*

Totally! You just know that when a thread mentions Chris Moyles in the title, there will be people poking their head in just to make snide remarks about a show they don't even listen to. He chose his profession just like those nurses and soldiers etc that some people are ranting about. It's not his fault he's good at his job and gets paid a lot for it...same as those people in the NHS and MOD that are way up the hierearchy and get paid loads too.

I defy any you not to rant after missing out on 2 months pay! Like another FM said, just because he earns more doesn't mean he doesn't have to worry about his outgoings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    Totally! You just know that when a thread mentions Chris Moyles in the title, there will be people poking their head in just to make snide remarks about a show they don't even listen to. He chose his profession just like those nurses and soldiers etc that some people are ranting about. It's not his fault he's good at his job and gets paid a lot for it...same as those people in the NHS and MOD that are way up the hierearchy and get paid loads too.

I defy any you not to rant after missing out on 2 months pay! Like another FM said, just because he earns more doesn't mean he doesn't have to worry about his outgoings.

Agreed. Plus the rant was more aimed at how he feels they are not showing him any respect by not trying to resolve the issue quickly. But yet he is expected to still come into work early every morning and put on a good show.

It wasn't a rant about him not having any money so therefore can't live the life he is used too which a lot of people are assuming.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Moyles is paid to entertain the listeners, not air his private grievances. If he has an issue over pay, it should be between him and whoever pays his wages.

He is also given money in exchange for him entertaining people. If the BBC have failed to hold their end of the bargain, why should he do what he is supposed to do on air?