Options

Jan Moir at The Daily Mail does it again

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    Maybe using Twitter to send condolences is not great but using a stillbirth as a hook to write what is essentially a lightweight fluff piece on the changes in social habits through new technology is in my view far, far worse.

Maybe it is an article that could have been written in a few months time but her timing, as always, so wide off the mark and offensive.

Couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much for Jan Moir's rant:
    Amanda_Holden OfficialAmandaHolden
    Chris and I would like to thank you all for the thousands of messages offering support and love during this horrendous time.xx
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, would she ever put a sock in it. What does it matter where they offer condolences, they're all thinking of her so why should it matter if it's via Twitter, phonecall or pigeon? The women is an absolute nasty old cow, she shouldn't be writing speculation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despise the woman after the Stephen Gately story but in a way I do agree about celebs tweeting Amanda Holden. I feel it's rather poor taste, a bit like sending her a text or something. Couldn't they send her a thinking of you or with sympathy card or phone her?

I don't think the tweets are in bad taste, but as you say, why are the celebs tweeting messages of condolence to Amanda? Are they trying to make themselves look good to other people or are they just so used to writing down everything that comes into their heads?? Twitter is a bizarre thing, I'm glad I'm not on it. I hope her friends have called her and/or sent cards as well as flipping tweeting!
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despise the woman after the Stephen Gately story but in a way I do agree about celebs tweeting Amanda Holden. I feel it's rather poor taste, a bit like sending her a text or something. Couldn't they send her a thinking of you or with sympathy card or phone her?

My mum thought LOL was 'lots of love'

cue, this text to her friend:

"sorry to hear about your dad passing away. LOL"
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the tweets are in bad taste, but as you say, why are the celebs tweeting messages of condolence to Amanda? Are they trying to make themselves look good to other people or are they just so used to writing down everything that comes into their heads?? Twitter is a bizarre thing, I'm glad I'm not on it. I hope her friends have called her and/or sent cards as well as flipping tweeting!

I reckon there is an element of 'who can get in there first with a comment'.

It also looks a bit crass because the character numbers are limited and they are reduced to using text speak-style messages.

If it were a close friend of mine my first instinct would not be to head straight onto Twitter or anywhere as public as that.

Twitter does seem to be the preferred communication of choice for many people online these days, so maybe it comes as second nature for them to do that now, and as a regular Twitter user herself Amanda was unlikely to be 'offended' by condolences being sent out in a relatively casual manner, but I still think there's a time and a place for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the celebs are not friends as such but acquaintances who don't want to phone her or her family but still want her to know they are thinking of her. Like work colleagues who work in a different office or branch may do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Twitter user herself Amanda was unlikely to be 'offended' by condolences being sent out in a relatively casual manner.

Exactly. The tweets are meant to console Amanda and if she isn't offended by them - as I see it she even got some comfort from it - why do Jan Moir and others need to be judgemental about it.

I think it's also mean to assume that celebrities tweet their condolences because they seek for attention. At the end of the day they are human beings too and felt sorry for Amanda. Some people spend hours on twitter, so it's not usual to tweet a "my thoughts are with Amanda/whoever". Maybe they didn't want to ignore Amanda's stillbirth and tweet like usual as if nothing had happened.

Jan Moir is a moany old cow who should seeks for some real sense for her life instead of being judgemental and slagging people off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Whether you agree or disagree with what Jan says this time is irrelevant. She should have been sacked last time, so she should be saying nothing.
  • Options
    luvandlifeluvandlife Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jan Moir is a fat pig that has nothing better to do. I can't stand her.
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dgjbear wrote: »
    Whether you agree or disagree with what Jan says this time is irrelevant. She should have been sacked last time, so she should be saying nothing.

Absolutely agree, she shouldn't be still in the job to still be commenting, I do think she has a point but what has gone before makes her points irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't agree with the Stephen Gately article at all, but until her employers have a problem with her work then she is merely doing the job she is paid to do.
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I didn't agree with the Stephen Gately article at all, but until her employers have a problem with her work then she is merely doing the job she is paid to do.

Her employers love all the vitriol she creates, same with Melanie Phillips. Both women along with Richard Littlejohn, Quentin Letts, Peter Hitchens and the other idious riff raff at that newspaper should be forced to board a plane to a deserted island in some far off region so we don't have to suffer their wafflings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Her employers are very happy with her work because like Liz Jones she is one of those columnists who people read because they like what she says and also read because they hate what she says. As long as people read her, click on to her articles, comment about them online and talk about them on forums, the Mail management will be more than happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Her employers are very happy with her work because like Liz Jones she is one of those columnists who people read because they like what she says and also read because they hate what she says. As long as people read her, click on to her articles, comment about them online and talk about them on forums, the Mail management will be more than happy.

Indeed.

And it seems people are still reading the Mail, no matter how much they profess to 'hate' it, along with its employees.

For as long as they keep clicking on the links, they're contributing to it.
  • Options
    Mister MaganeseMister Maganese Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who uses Twitter is a ****ing moron.

Yeah, I said it.:)
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does twitter have emoticons? If so surely a sad face emoticon would have done the job.