Options

The lines on the weathermap in some weather reports

GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
Forum Member
✭✭
When I first noticed this 5-6 years ago, I thought "that won't last long, surely". I am not sure which weather report it is in, but it's really shabby looking.
They are obviously 4 widescreen TV's stuck together, and you can see the cracks. They aren't even central to the map which irks me. Also the country is the same colour as bile.
Has anyone else noticed, which channel is it I am talking about? when will they get a proper map.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    When I first noticed this 5-6 years ago, I thought "that won't last long, surely". I am not sure which weather report it is in, but it's really shabby looking.
    They are obviously 4 widescreen TV's stuck together, and you can see the cracks. They aren't even central to the map which irks me. Also the country is the same colour as bile.
    Has anyone else noticed, which channel is it I am talking about? when will they get a proper map.

I remember seeing those lines but cant remember which channel. You are quite correct though - they are annoying as hell.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    What I also find naff is the design of BBC Weather with its lifeless brown representing the country as if it had suffered a nuclear blast and had its vegetation blown off into orbit, instead of the nice green we used to get and the colour bands for temperatures that was so much better.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That used to happen on Sky News with their big weather wall, even more noticeable when they had close ups
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here BBC northwest weather,90s flat screen tvs all piled on each other.Makes you wonder all that licence money and cheap 90s equipment,maybe soon the BBC will start to broadcast programmes in B/W.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But their is light at the end of the tunnel,when BBC move from the south to the north.They might bring their hi tech equipment with them.Imagine watching a weather forecast without lines separating the South from the North wow
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't they have a green wall behind the weather forecaster then insert the map electronically? It is probably just the way the computer builds up the map in sections and joins them together (electronically). It seems very unlikely they have four widescreen TVs stacked up and side by side.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the weather is presented from a news studio, the map is displayed on the video wall, hence the lines.

When the weather is standalone, it's green screen.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Don't they have a green wall behind the weather forecaster then insert the map electronically? It is probably just the way the computer builds up the map in sections and joins them together (electronically). It seems very unlikely they have four widescreen TVs stacked up and side by side.

Essentially they are a bunch of giant screens stacked up and side-by-side!

http://www.barco.com/en/broadcasting/
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first read the thread title, I thought you were talking about isobars. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I also find naff is the design of BBC Weather with its lifeless brown representing the country as if it had suffered a nuclear blast and had its vegetation blown off into orbit, instead of the nice green we used to get and the colour bands for temperatures that was so much better.
    Yes Bill. I don't like what they have done to our green and pleasant land. :cry:
  • Options
    dellaradellara Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    When I first read the thread title, I thought you were talking about isobars. :o
    Ah yes. Lines of equal pressure. Atlantic weather charts and all that. What a blast from the past.;). Fond memories of the time before the BBC dumbed down weather forecasting.:(
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellara wrote: »
    Ah yes. Lines of equal pressure. Atlantic weather charts and all that. What a blast from the past.;). Fond memories of the time before the BBC dumbed down weather forecasting.:(

They do still appear, albeit less regularly than they used to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    I miss how they used to do it on About Anglia all those years ago, a triangular thing set in a wall, moved by a bloke behind, which showed isobars, temperature and sun/rainfall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Bring back mike fish and co with their sticky back fluffy clouds etc!!! those where the days!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss isobars too, they were so complicated you could really get your nerd-on to them.

I think if you are going to bring excessive graphics into it you should be creative. Make the weather forcaster into a digital cartoon seagul using motion capture or something.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what annoys me is the pointless trip around the UK showing closeups, while the presenter witters on.....I start to daydream, and then I miss the actual weather for the day.

I think they either do this because the news presenters may need to go to the bog, or to justify the weather department's budget.....pointless though, especially on a day when there is hardly a cloud over Britain.
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look carefully, top left, there's a little Arrow (↑) showing, this way up !

How many times do we watch the weather forecast, and afterwards not have a clue what was said !
  • Options
    dellaradellara Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    They do still appear, albeit less regularly than they used to.
    Sadly all too infrequent now. They prefer to do the UK fly around and show us morphing rainfall. I used to really enjoy the BBC weather and now it has just gone to pot. Sadly it is backed up by a website whose five day computer produced forecast makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    farmersboy wrote: »
    I miss how they used to do it on About Anglia all those years ago, a triangular thing set in a wall, moved by a bloke behind, which showed isobars, temperature and sun/rainfall.

Made me think of Cyril Ockenden on Southern years ago. In depth information and low tech!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4lCRQg7JVI
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss isobars too, they were so complicated you could really get your nerd-on to them.
    You can still get them - here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellara wrote: »

Last time I saw isobars on a forecast they merrily referred to them as 'these wavys lines'. Not dumbed down at all then.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaz125 wrote: »
    Bring back mike fish and co with their sticky back fluffy clouds etc!!! those where the days!!!

Mike fish still does weather forecasts on netweather.tv but no fluffy sticky clouds etc just isobars and computer graphics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    You can still get them - here.

they still mean absolutely nothing to me, love it, like the Met Office fishing forecast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they still mean absolutely nothing to me, love it, like the Met Office fishing forecast.

the fishing forecast? thats a new one on me...

Do you not mean the shipping forecast?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the fishing forecast? thats a new one on me...

Do you not mean the shipping forecast?

yes! lol. I knew I'd got the name of it wrong somehow, didn't look right.