Not happy with royal mail

rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
Forum Member
I recieved a leflet through my door today saying from late september they will be leaving parcels with neighbours if i am out, and they have had a 'succeful trial' of this new thing, yeah whatever. apparently if i dont want to do this i have to ring up or contact them in someway and ask for a sticker to be sent out so i can display it in a visable place. There is no visable place i can display my sticket at my property because of the layout, its all bricks and just my front door, which is pvc and the window is that funny type of glass you cant see through. What can i do now? I don't want anything been left with my neighbours. For those who say, just be in then, thats not always possible when you order something and it says it will take '5-7 working days or whatever' it's impossible to gauge when something is coming. Is this all areas? My neighbour on one side is a complete nightmare always screaming and shouting at her kids and her back garden is full of rubbish and an old couch and 2 chairs. and my neighbour on my other side is an old lady who i have made every effort to speak to who is not interested, i even had to knock on her door one time for something and i could see she was in but she ignored it.

Comments

• andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    could you stick the sticker on the outside of the door rather than the inside?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What someone has in their garden is not a reflection of their ability to simply hold a package for an hour or two. What if the old lady is hard of hearing? :D

Anyway, can't you put the sticker on the brick wall?
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Im sure I read that you can "opt out" of this scheme?

EDIT - ah yes, you acknowledge that. Just stick the sticker on your door next to the letterbox then, problem solved. Or get parcels delivered elsewhere, like a place of work or something.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my neighbour on my other side is an old lady who i have made every effort to speak to who is not interested, i even had to knock on her door one time for something and i could see she was in but she ignored it.

Well, doesn't sound like she'll take in a parcel from the postie for you either, does it?
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just screw a nameplate holder to your wall and put the sticker behind the plastic window. Something like a small photo frame.

Alternatively, drill two holes in a piece of Perspex, put the sticker behind it and screw it to the wall. It's not difficult to make something simple.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this new scheme does not include recorded and special delivery items. I would far far sooner pick them up from the sorting office myself, later.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I recieved a leflet through my door today saying from late september they will be leaving parcels with neighbours if i am out, and they have had a 'succeful trial' of this new thing, yeah whatever. apparently if i dont want to do this i have to ring up or contact them in someway and ask for a sticker to be sent out so i can display it in a visable place. There is no visable place i can display my sticket at my property because of the layout, its all bricks and just my front door, which is pvc and the window is that funny type of glass you cant see through. What can i do now? I don't want anything been left with my neighbours. For those who say, just be in then, thats not always possible when you order something and it says it will take '5-7 working days or whatever' it's impossible to gauge when something is coming. Is this all areas? My neighbour on one side is a complete nightmare always screaming and shouting at her kids and her back garden is full of rubbish and an old couch and 2 chairs. and my neighbour on my other side is an old lady who i have made every effort to speak to who is not interested, i even had to knock on her door one time for something and i could see she was in but she ignored it.

Sounds like the post is the least of your worries.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I would much rather there be an option when you order online that you can specify another location. So your parcel would have your address followed by a note to leave at no. Whatever.

Its a pain having to travel to the sorting office but at least you are guarenteed your parcel. When we first moved into our home we had a delivery when we werent in and the postman left a note saying it was left with no.16. We had no idea which was no.16 and hadnt met any of the neighbours! Luckily it was a nice lady who came over and introduced herself when she saw we were home.

Not everybody knows and trusts their neighbours but i suppose if the postman leaves a note then you know who to blame if your parcel is missing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The leaflet says exactly:
    "If you'd rather we didn't leave items with your neighbours, or if you'd rather not accept items on their behalf, that's absolutely fine. Simply register online or call us and we'll send you a sticker to display near your letter box or somewhere clearly visible to us."

I really don't understand what the problem is. Just sick it near the letter box!! I assume you have one in your door. (yes that is a letter box too, it's a different design type)
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe royal mail shoud try delivering in the evenings when people are at home.
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently it does apply to recorded items but not to special delivery.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't the sticker be put on the letterbox?

We have a note on ours already saying that we don't want any charity bags. (It works most of the time!).
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    No, I'm not happy with Royal Mail, either. I've fallen out with my neighbours on one side or, to be more specifically, they've fallen out with me! I don't talk to them, acknowledge them, in fact, I don't have any communication with them whatsoever. My neighbour the other side I happen to get on well with and she has taken many parcel deliveries in for me (and vice-versa) over the years.

Now, I would obviously be more than happy to accept parcels on behalf of this neighbour, and for my deliveries to be given to her, but not for the people the other side. However, in the Royal Mail's "Out and About?" scheme there would appear no option which would satisfy this particular situation. I think I'm going to have to completely opt out unless they decide to change things.

Sounds like Royal Mail haven't done their research on this, or, if they have, they have just simply ignored the results because it suits them to do so. There must be many, many, people who have fallen out with, don't like or simply don't trust their neighbours.

As another FM has pointed out, if Royal Mail delivered in the evenings when people are in, then it wouldn't be a problem.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    No, I'm not happy with Royal Mail, either. I've fallen out with my neighbours on one side or, to be more specifically, they've fallen out with me! I don't talk to them, acknowledge them, in fact, I don't have any communication with them whatsoever. My neighbour the other side I happen to get on well with and she has taken many parcel deliveries in for me (and vice-versa) over the years.

Now, I would obviously be more than happy to accept parcels on behalf of this neighbour, and for my deliveries to be given to her, but not for the people the other side. However, in the Royal Mail's "Out and About?" scheme there would appear no option which would satisfy this particular situation. I think I'm going to have to completely opt out unless they decide to change things.

Sounds like Royal Mail haven't done their research on this, or, if they have, they have just simply ignored the results because it suits them to do so. There must be many, many, people who have fallen out with, don't like or simply don't trust their neighbours.

As another FM has pointed out, if Royal Mail delivered in the evenings when people are in, then it wouldn't be a problem.

So basically you want royal mail to change their process to suit you? Not everyone is in in the evenings, it's not hard to stick a note on the window saying leave at number whatever or to simply opt out all together
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    So basically you want royal mail to change their process to suit you? Not everyone is in in the evenings, it's not hard to stick a note on the window saying leave at number whatever or to simply opt out all together

I think that Royal Mail are changing their process to suit themselves, not the other way round!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Royal Mail make a loss delivering to a lot of residential properties, so I can't see them going out of their way to deliver to them in the evenings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Royal Mail are changing their process to suit themselves, not the other way round!

Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it doesn't suit anyone else. I don't get on with my neighbours but I don't see how leaving a parcel with them and vice versa would affect that. Unless theres a chance your relationship is that bad that they would destroy your parcel whats the problem?

If you opt out your at the same position you were before they brought this out
    Forum Member
    Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it doesn't suit anyone else. I don't get on with my neighbours but I don't see how leaving a parcel with them and vice versa would affect that. Unless theres a chance your relationship is that bad that they would destroy your parcel whats the problem?

Because that would make it necessary for me to speak to them, and I've no wish to do so.
    If you opt out your at the same position you were before they brought this out

No, because it would have an adverse affect on my other neighbour, with whom I have a good relationship, if I have to opt out completely.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    It says on their leaflet 92 percent of people were happy with their parcels being left with a neighbour, i don't believe that at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because that would make it necessary for me to speak to them, and I've no wish to do so.

No, because it would have an adverse affect on my other neighbour, with whom I have a good relationship, if I have to opt out completely.

In your situation, I would put a notice on my door, saying:

"Please leave parcels with number x only, otherwise, please return to sorting office. Thank you"
    Forum Member
    It says on their leaflet 92 percent of people were happy with their parcels being left with a neighbour, i don't believe that at all.

No, rockerchick, I don't believe it, either.

As I've previously stated:

Sounds like Royal Mail haven't done their research on this, or, if they have, they have just simply ignored the results because it suits them to do so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were probably fed up of all the news stories about red cards being left when people were actually in etc, and thought of this and then fudged the figures to suit. They may well have used a tiny sample of people, probably one lovely home counties village where everyone knows and loves each other, and then announced 92% satisfaction! ;)
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They may well have used a tiny sample of people, probably one lovely home counties village where everyone knows and loves each other

Actually 748,000 addresses in central Edinburgh, Wigan/Bolton, Swansea East, Norwich, Gatwick North, and Hull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So either leave another note telling the postie which house they can knock at or opt out and tell the good neighbour why. I'm sure they don't actually care, for all you know both neighbours might opt out themselves.

Honestly does there have to be such drama over something so simple
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I hope this new scheme does not include recorded and special delivery items. I would far far sooner pick them up from the sorting office myself, later.
    Apparently it does apply to recorded items but not to special delivery.

Thanks for that :cool: