Options

Domestic violence stats - 720k male victims (1 in 3) reported last year(!)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was actually women who set up a couple of male refuges at one point. Men need to do more amongst themselves like women do.

Also, being a male victim of domestic violence doesn't automatically mean that a female spouse is the perpetrator. We're also talking about fathers, brothers, sons or other family members causing abuse and I don't see why that would be made fun of.

That's a great point.

Sadly, this doesn't seem to be classed as the right kind of violence to get enraged about, just like men getting attacked in the street. It's just not the right category of violence so doesn't count.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men are something like 4 times more likely to commit suicide.

Clearly there isn't the support or needed amount of conversation out there about the topic.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll probably find most feminist groups will argue that domestic abuse against men is justified because of the years of 'opression' and abuse women have suffered at the hands of men.

Now, that sounds quite bad and would make feminist groups look bad. So, the media ignore it as to not offend feminists and not be accused of being sexist.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the figures come from the ONS crime surveys and they are comparing like for like

Wherever the fugues came from, the headline figure gives no indication of what constitutes domestic violence, and how many resulted in serious injury. I'd bet a lot of money that the majority of the people seriously injured or killed were women.

Again, I'm not saying domestic violence against men, far from it, but I think we need to look behind the headline figure.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll probably find most feminist groups will argue that domestic abuse against men is justified because of the years of 'opression' and abuse women have suffered at the hands of men.

Now, that sounds quite bad and would make feminist groups look bad. So, the media ignore it as to not offend feminists and not be accused of being sexist.

Are you able to back this up in any way?

Otherwise it comes across as pure guesswork tied in with an anti-women agenda.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A short input.

I'm in a great relationship, where violence/abuse has never entered the equation - nor will it ever.

*BUT*

I freely admit, that as a guy, I'd never go to the cops if I were in a relationship where my lady attacked/abused me.

It's probably a huge amount of men like me..because of issues of pride..who are the cause of true figures remaining oblique.

..ps. I know it's daft - but society influences our thinking, self-esteem & how we will be perceived by others..thus dictating choices regarding speaking up.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    What's sexist about it? I think it would be a good idea for men to get organised, as women did, instead of waiting for 'someone' to do it for them.

What's wrong with that? :confused:
    How about, instead of dividing people into groups such as "women's rights" and "men's rights", we have "equal rights"?

There are radical feminists who claim that the continuation of a "patriarchy" is justification for men to be given whatever negative treatment they can get for revenge, even going so far as to suggest the installation of a matriarchy. No mention is made by these feminists of how men get longer prison sentences than women or the role of sexual dimorphism in society. Things are not being helped at the moment by the self-titled pop culture critic Anita Sarkessian attempting to make connections between sexism, violence and video games without any inclusion of facts or reality in her arguments using $150k of investors money (I've seen all the Feminist Frequency videos in order to get a balanced view as well). Whenever she gets rightly criticised for her conclusions by not backing up her assertions with evidence, she plays the victim card and claims that the patriarchy are targeting abuse against her - other feminists also act in the same way. Viewing some of the videos critical of feminism really will be an eye-opener. Its probably no wonder that people are avoiding the tag of feminist, rather referring to terms such as humanist or egalitarian.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, you mentioned "radical feminists" - you know that alcockell will be here in a flash now with an essay about how utterly evil the wimminz is.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i posted a link on facebook yesterday about domestic violence, highlighted this sentence
    Yvette Cooper will say the government "just doesn't take violence against women seriously"
    and remarked that someone should remind her that men suffer too and the first reply was from a bloke taking the piss out of male victims, there`s little hope of change with twerps like that.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do (some) people honestly think that? name and shame them >:( horrendous attitude, well ok ridiculous is probably a better term. Men around nowadays can't really be to blame for what society has been like for 100s of years.
    Jol44 wrote: »

Clearly there isn't the support or needed amount of conversation out there about the topic.

Yes, I've heard that before. People say men find it harder to talk about their feelings - it needs addressing but I'm not sure how. When I think of TV, there are lots of shows about people with different issues, phobias, anxieties etc. who seek help but just thinking very quickly, the vast majority of people on those shows do seem to be women and not men. That's going away from the topic slightly but is there something in that? I'm not sure.

We're all just human at the end of the day - gender shouldn't matter, some things shouldn't be accepted regardless and people certainly shouldn't be put off reporting due to what others might think of them, their (presumably) the victim after all, thats the main thing.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    No...:confused:

Are you denying that 'lad' culture exists?

"lad culture"?

Sure, it exists. So what? It's not universal.

By the same token, I could ask whether you deny that the vast majority of women have been content with their role for centuries and then suggest it's their own fault for any equality issues that arose due to that attitude.

I could, but it's be belligerent, antagonistic shite.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »

Well this i agree with wholeheartedly. Sadly.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking Breathing Space was a helpline at least partly geared up for men (see:- http://www.breathingspacescotland.co.uk/) as I'd seen flyers for it in the past but then I also came across this for anyone interested:- http://www.mensadviceline.org.uk/mens_advice.php.html