The Kinks and the Village Green Preservation Society

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    Great band, have been a fan for a while. Think Predictable and Missing Persons ae their best later songs and I Need You which was b-side of Set Me Free is their best early song o and love the vid for Predictable as well, especially when Ray is dressed as a hippy:)

Of their later ones, I think the best are Come Dancing, Hatred (a Duet) and Catch Me Now, Im Falling. ;)
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,182
    Forum Member
    thats the genius of ray davies with a song like 'missing person's, you could easily believe he had gone through the trauma of being the father of a runaway kid
    Forum Member
    thats the genius of ray davies with a song like 'missing person's, you could easily believe he had gone through the trauma of being the father of a runaway kid

Well, his wife did run off with his kids on his birthday, part of the cause of a nervous breakdown which led to him attempting to commit suicide dressed as a clown, and Im not making that up! :eek:
    Forum Member
    oh thats right forgot about that. They did a gig and Ray announcd on stage the band were breaking up then took an overdose
    Forum Member
    anyone else hear the story about the minister at the wedding of ray and chrissie hynde refiusing to marry them as he thought they were rowing too much?
    Forum Member
    anyone else hear the story about the minister at the wedding of ray and chrissie hynde refiusing to marry them as he thought they were rowing too much?

I too heard about that story, it's very odd that he refused because of their arguing, I mean lots argue, although it makes you wonder, what would have happened if they had married. Hmmm.
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    I think you'll enjoy this classic by The Left Banke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uqBTzfcIk4&feature=related

but yes....back to The Kinks!:)

I am always amazed that composer of Walk Away Renee was only 16 when he wrote the song - it's a class tune.

Kinks - I love the Kinks. They really kicked a**e before a lot of Bands with You Really Got Me & All Day And All The Night. Waterloo Sunset is about as near to the perfect pop song as you can get (along with The Loving Spoonful's Do You Believe In Magic).

Okay let's get this out the way - I just do not like Days - I think it's boring and goes nowhere. The words are good but the melody is just a repetative bore. The say music is subjective and I suppose we can't like everything.

That aside, they always used to say that songs written about the UK never quite had the same magic as songs about the US - like Chicago, Route 66. etc.

Ray Davies completely disproves this with his songs such as Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, Dead End Street, Muswell Hillbillies, Village Green PS, Come Dancing and of course Waterloo Sunset. There is something about WS that is magical and it always gives me the sort of warm feeling like you get at Christmas.

Also Ray Davies, as a songwriter, has a wonderful quirkiness he employs. I don't think anybody else could have written songs like Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, Sunny Afternoon, Lola and Apeman.

Brilliant stuff (except Days :o )
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    I am always amazed that composer of Walk Away Renee was only 16 when he wrote the song - it's a class tune.

Kinks - I love the Kinks. They really kicked a**e before a lot of Bands with You Really Got Me & All Day And All The Night. Waterloo Sunset is about as near to the perfect pop song as you can get (along with The Loving Spoonful's Do You Believe In Magic).

Okay let's get this out the way - I just do not like Days - I think it's boring and goes nowhere. The words are good but the melody is just a repetative bore. The say music is subjective and I suppose we can't like everything.

Michael Brown of The Left Banke was an amazingly gifted songwriter. 'Desiree', 'Shadows Breaking Over My Head' and 'She May Call You Up Tonight' are all phenomenal tunes as well. Sadly their CD is long out of print and very pricey.

Good call on The Lovin' Spoonful. 'Do You Believe In Magic?' must be the most joyous pop record ever.:)

I know what you mean about 'Days'. I have the old Pye single and always opt for the wonderfully sloppy 'b' side 'She's Got Everything'. Pure Kinks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    Michael Brown of The Left Banke was an amazingly gifted songwriter. 'Desiree', 'Shadows Breaking Over My Head' and 'She May Call You Up Tonight' are all phenomenal tunes as well. Sadly their CD is long out of print and very pricey.

Good call on The Lovin' Spoonful. 'Do You Believe In Magic?' must be the most joyous pop record ever.:)

I know what you mean about 'Days'. I have the old Pye single and always opt for the wonderfully sloppy 'b' side 'She's Got Everything'. Pure Kinks!

I find it incredible that in this Download age a CD can be "unavailable". Storeage space for a few MP3 files is amazingly cheap and something that would be "low demand" would only need to be kept on at least one server with a limited replication. I certainly have albums in my download collection that I would not have purchased a physical CD for because of storeage considerations but being tucked away on my hard drive for later consumption is no hardship.

There are few albums that come into this heading - unless of course they cannot establish who owns the rights I suppose.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kinks suffered from the same turgid fate as all bands do that allow one songwriter to completely dominate the band, same with The Who, Cream and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

The other musicians are essentially sidemen, browbeaten into subserviance by a meglomaniacal diva who can't, and won't, allow input from the other members.

Great songs and a fine 1960's band though.

I do recall reading that the Davies brothers ( especially Ray ) were incredibly sadistic and mercilessly cruel to hapless drummer Mick Avory, for some reason that has soured my opinion of Ray Davies forever.
    Forum Member
    the band were supposed to be reuniting with the original 4 but pete quaife wasnt interested i dont think
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Davies suffered a serious stroke last I heard, maybe he's recovered enough for stagework.
    Forum Member
    The Kinks suffered from the same turgid fate as all bands do that allow one songwriter to completely dominate the band, same with The Who, Cream and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

The other musicians are essentially sidemen, browbeaten into subserviance by a meglomaniacal diva who can't, and won't, allow input from the other members.

I do recall reading that the Davies brothers ( especially Ray ) were incredibly sadistic and mercilessly cruel to hapless drummer Mick Avory, for some reason that has soured my opinion of Ray Davies forever.

It was the Davies brothers that were a bit sadistic to each other :D, but I believe it was Dave Davies bullying Mick Avory a lot of the time. For instance, during a show in Cardiff, Dave kicked his drumkit over, so Mick got up and hit him over the head with his kickpedal, and Dave fainted. Mick thought he'd killed him so he ran off down the streets of Cardiff. The lucky thing was, Dave didn't die and got 16 stitches to the head, whilst Mick told the police, who wanted him for attempted murder, that it was part of a new act in which they hit each other with their instruments. :D But, since the audience thought it was part of the act anyway, it was fine. Although, this could've been one of the reasons for their ban in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

While you maybe right about CCR and this led to their break up, Entwistle certainly contributed to The Who's catalogue (Boris The Spider, My Wife, Cousin Kevin). Even Moon and Daltrey have writing credits. With the Who the make up of the band was essential which was shown when the equilibrium was broken upon Keith's death.

Cream - Completely off the mark here. I don't think Clapton and Baker were in anyway subserviant to Bruce, and the songwriting was pretty evenly spread between the band. On Disraeli Gears Bruce co wrote 5 out of 11 tracks, Clapton co wrote 3 tracks and arranged 2 others and Ginger Baker wrote 1.

On Wheels Of Fire Studio Baker had more input writing 3 of the tracks, Bruce 4 and the other 2 were covers. And on goodbye Bruce 2, Clapton 2 and Baker 1.

The problem with Cream was the clash between Baker and Bruce who have always had a fiery relationship.
    Forum Member
    Ray and Dave werent getting on years before Noel and Liam:D
    Forum Member
    Ray and Dave werent getting on years before Noel and Liam:D

Indeed they weren't :D
    Forum Member
    Nothing In This World Can Stop Me Worrying About That Girl was a gd single that never was, and IMO I Need Yoiu shoiuld have been the a-side and Set Me Free the B-side. Prob in the minoirity but I think Kinda Kinks was their best 60s album
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Nothing In This World Can Stop Me Worrying About That Girl was a gd single that never was, and IMO I Need Yoiu shoiuld have been the a-side and Set Me Free the B-side. Prob in the minoirity but I think Kinda Kinks was their best 60s album

I like that album too. My favourite after Village Green is probably Kink Kontoversy. 'The World Keeps Going Round' being a stand out track. Always loved 'Milk Cow Blues' as well.
    Forum Member
    I've resurrected this thread as I have two interesting pieces of albeit belated Kinks-related news :D:

1. It looks like the Kinks could be releasing a new album of old tracks that were unreleased and new tracks, with Ray, Dave and Mick.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/the_kinks_confirm_new_album.html

2. The Kinks' 70s albums appear to be having a re-release as a recent trip to HMV shows albums such as Muswell Hillbillies available to pre-order, which is great for me as I was asked to order a copy from America for £15 and it would've taken two months. :D

God Save the Kinks! :cool::D:D
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    I think the middle aged farts are the biggest ones to blame for X Factor, they are the ones sitting in and watching in huge numbers on a Saturday night.

Well, I'm a middle-aged fart, but I avoid the X-Factor like the plague ... and I love the Kinks! I saw Ray Davies in concert last Sunday, and he was incredible (especially considering that he's a middle-aged fart too).
  • SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    Vabosity wrote: »
    Well, I'm a middle-aged fart, but I avoid the X-Factor like the plague ... and I love the Kinks! I saw Ray Davies in concert last Sunday, and he was incredible (especially considering that he's a middle-aged fart too).

Ray's 66 next month - 21st June. :cool: I'll be wishing Ray a very happy birthday on here on his birthday (providing I don't forget to post).
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »

you touchy middle-aged sod ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the Kinks, there is simply no better way to spend a hot summers day than to sit out in the Sun with The Kinks on! Pure bliss
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iceman09 wrote: »
    Love the Kinks, there is simply no better way to spend a hot summers day than to sit out in the Sun with The Kinks on! Pure bliss

or a winters day, sit in from the cold with a nice cup of Rosie, Hallelujah!
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    you touchy middle-aged sod ;)

Sorry, Pitman, it's taken me three hours struggling with my zimmer frame to get to my computer to reply to your comment and now I've got here I've forgotten what I wanted to say.