Dave Grohl: 'You shouldn't have to do f***ing Glee'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
Forum Member
This was on the DS homepage today. I don't disagree with him. I think the band v.s. Glee thing is getting increasingly old. There was the whole Guns N' Roses thing where they'd comment, then the show creator would comment and then they would comment again - we're not interested.
"You shouldn't have to do f***ing Glee," he said. "And then the guy who created Glee is so offended that we're not, like, begging to be on his f***ing show... I watched ten minutes [of it]. It's not my thing."

There are plenty of people that are happy to have their songs showcased on a show like Glee, just move on and find one of them!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s57/glee/news/a309689/dave-grohl-you-shouldnt-have-to-do-glee.html

Thoughts?

Comments

• AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with him. People shouldn't have to feel forced into allowing their music to appear on it. It's not for everyone - it took me some persuading to even watch the first episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Dave Grohl is ALWAYS right
    2. He is actually right on this occasion, the glee creator seems personally offended and starts a virbal tirade everytime an act choses not to let them use their songs. Not all artists are interested in $$$ just so their song can be trashed by some crappy tv show.
    Its the creator who needs to move on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glee is getting boring
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I agree. This doesn't stop at Glee either. I think the X Factor is the same. I'm sure someone wouldn't allow Simon Cowell to use their song(s) and he wasn't happy.
  • Nia70Nia70 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ****ing love Dave Grohl..the man is right!
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Glee = Karaoke with added plot

Rights owners should be free to agree or refuse the use of their material as they wish without the catty comments of Ryan Murphy, whose show, let us remind ourselves, is nakedly exploiting the work and talent of others for financial gain.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    2. He is actually right on this occasion, the glee creator seems personally offended and starts a virbal tirade everytime an act choses not to let them use their songs. Not all artists are interested in $$$ just so their song can be trashed by some crappy tv show.
    Nia70 wrote: »
    I ****ing love Dave Grohl..the man is right!

Both these posts are spot on! Never actually watched Glee (only seen clips) but I totally understand that it's not the kind of programme that would do justice to their kind of rock music! No one should have to put up with being slated if they refuse - glad Grohl (the legend!) has put his fingers up metaphorically to him.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with Dave, Ryan really went at one band recently who refused to let Glee use their songs and it was so ridiculous, people started calling the band homophobic and all sorts.
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God I love Dave Grohl.:D
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I would be physically sick if Glee covered any of the Foo Fighters' songs. Their rape of treasured music started off as cute and a bit punk in a "two fingers up at pretentious musos", but now I just find it rude and sacrilegious.
    DG's a God I love him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    The Glee creator would want to develop a thicker skin for himself. Not every musician wants their music featured on Glee - plus I can't see how it would really work in the show, it's become dull and repetitive. He should respect their right to refuse and get over it.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mere name Glee itself sets my teeth on edge. It instantly conjures up images of religiously perfect-teethed American 30 year old 'teenagers', without any need to watch the programme and have this confirmed.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    The mere name Glee itself sets my teeth on edge. It instantly conjures up images of religiously perfect-teethed American 30 year old 'teenagers', without any need to watch the programme and have this confirmed.

Completely agree with you.

People say you can't judge a programme unless you've watched it but, in the case of Glee, I've seen and heard more than I ever wanted or needed to without tuing in for a single minute of a single episode.

The entire thing just looks hideous in the extreme
  • conmarcas3conmarcas3 Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    I just can't get into Glee at all, even my teenager daughters don't like it, so it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    Dave Grohl is right though. Not everyone wants their songs massacred by others, whether it be Glee, the X Factor, or if someone wants to sample it. They have a right to say no and to keep their songs original. I absolutely hate their version of Don't Stop Believin'. It takes away from the fact that some songs are classics and you don't want their version floating around in your head when you listen to it as genuine classics just shouldn't be re-done. The creator of Glee is extremely arrogant as he just can't get over the fact that with so many people kissing his ass and telling him how fantastic he is, that all of these groups don't feel the same.
    Glee is just the flavour of the week and when people get bored and start looking for a new flavour, he is going to get a major wake up call.
  • ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glee is okay for what it is, but the creator sounds like an absolute moron who needs to grow up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I agree. This doesn't stop at Glee either. I think the X Factor is the same. I'm sure someone wouldn't allow Simon Cowell to use their song(s) and he wasn't happy.

Was it sting or Elton John?
  • goonerladygoonerlady Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course Dave's right.My 14 year old daughter watches the show and I make sure I am always busy when it is on!

This thread must be one of the first where everyone so far agrees!
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only watched about 10 minutes of one episode of Glee and I think its so rubbish. 10 minutes of my life that I'll never get back..
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When on earth did Guns N' Roses comment on Glee? I never heard anything about it. In fact Axl rarely comments on anything these days.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave Grohl is a legend. :D
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glee = my idea of purgatory. People breaking into song in general freak me out.
  • Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dave Grohl is always right.

He is also too nice and too modest to be as emphatic as he could have been about the subject of his songs being Glee-ified.
    Someone needs to stand up for Dave and say,
    " Oi, Ryan Murphy, how f****** DARE you have the audacity to ask to cover a Foos song in your s*** show.
    Then you throw a hissy fit because Dave said no.
    You're not worthy to breathe the same air as the mighty Grohl.
    Don't abuse the Foos cos you're not worth s*** on their shoes!"

Dave Grohl is a true rock legend of the highest order and he has demonstrated that his soul is not for sale.
  • posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Completely agree with you.

People say you can't judge a programme unless you've watched it but, in the case of Glee, I've seen and heard more than I ever wanted or needed to without tuing in for a single minute of a single episode.

The entire thing just looks hideous in the extreme

Well, thanks for your considered and well-informed opinions on the topic.'Never seen it because I know it's rubbish' is a bit of a weak argument, in my book...

As it happens, I think it has descended into pretty much what you describe but I found it had a lot of dark-ish (by mainstream standards), somewhat satirical, snarky humour in the first series which I really enjoyed. Sorry you didn't see and enjoy that yourself.
    elnombre wrote: »
    When on earth did Guns N' Roses comment on Glee? I never heard anything about it. In fact Axl rarely comments on anything these days.

Slash made a lot of comments where he contradicted himself at least twice in three sentences. Fair enough if he doesn't like it but you can't attack Glee without being questioned when you've allied yourself with American Idol, which is jam-packed with non-ironic cr*p cover versions, At least Glee has a sense of humour.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slash made a lot of comments where he contradicted himself at least twice in three sentences. Fair enough if he doesn't like it but you can't attack Glee without being questioned when you've allied yourself with American Idol, which is jam-packed with non-ironic cr*p cover versions, At least Glee has a sense of humour.

Slash always contradicts himself and rewrites history constantly too, not to mention being shamelessly fame hungry. I don't think you can go out doing 'Sweet Child O' Mine' with Fergie at the Super Bowl and then bitch about Glee.

He's also had nothing to do with Guns N' Roses for about 16 years though, which is what had me confused when the OP claimed 'they' had commented on it.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

This ^^^^^

I also find it funny that the show, which is, as far as I know (watched first episode and have caught little bits and pieces of others, it's really not my thing), at least in part about acceptance and anti bullying etc has a creator who lashes out with insults etc every time someone says no to having a song on the show.