Options

Psychic TV where you pay £1.55 a text to ask a question.

potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
Forum Member
In the early hours this morning I noticed that there was a programme on one of the sky channels called this and it had 2 pretty girls presenting (one which was "psychic") and people were sending in texts by the dozen asking questions like "does he still love me?" and "will I get the job I was just interviewed for?".

Then the lady just had a bunch of cards and picked a random one and gave these really horrendous "readings" LOL, I mean seriously how the heck can people believe this lady over the TV can know what is going to happen to them by reading a text!

There's even a forum online where people are getting depressed because their readings are not what they want to hear.

That show must make a killing.

Any one ever watched this show?

It's funny because it's so shit !

Comments

• Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep I occasionally listen to it for ten minutes or so when I can't get to sleep. never fails to send me off. After a while you learn the patterns of the individual "psychics" and can play predict the prediction
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a loses game
  • Options
    rose-whrose-wh Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychic hotlines are notorious for charging tonnes of money. I stupidly rang one many moons ago, fakes, fakes, didnt tell you anything your friends and relatives couldnt have. Phone call cost me forty quid IIRC for a few mins chat.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rose-wh wrote: »
    Psychic hotlines are notorious for charging tonnes of money. I stupidly rang one many moons ago, fakes, fakes, didnt tell you anything your friends and relatives couldnt have. Phone call cost me forty quid IIRC for a few mins chat.

wow, that makes babestation look like value for money
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Genesis P-Orridge on it? :)
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd think this would be obtaining money by deception and therefore illegal?
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    one born every minute
  • Options
    MordirithMordirith Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychics should be jailed for fraud.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    I'm amazed anyone wastes money on things like this.

Same for those babestation type channels.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't be jailed for fraud since they started using the small print "services are for entertainment purposes only"
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    As said above ,this is more entertainment than serious psychic work in reality.
    Many people will not have any pyschic abilities but cash in and give the gifted ones a bad name.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i assume to claim fraud youd need to clearly demonstrate an intention not to provide any psychic services....... tricky !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    I love Psychic TV.

My fav call was someone who rang up to ask about work + the psychic went on for 5 mins about the problems he was having at the office in great detail - the politics, the people, + when she finally let the caller get a word in he said: 'Actually I'm unemployed'. :D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    Was Genesis P-Orridge on it? :)

Yeah, I'm disappointed at the lack of post-industrial occult psychedelia in this thread.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched the psychic channel on Freeview. When I watched,k people would contact them about their relationship problems, and they'd respond with basic advice which anybody in the advice sector could have given the viewers. I think some of the people who contact them are lonely or depressed and are seeking comfort and hope. There isn't any other sort of advice channel on Freeview so Psychic TV was the only channel to which they could turn.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll admit that I used their services a few times years ago. Well, I wanted the whole psychic thing to be true! Very naive of me, I know! It really is just generalisation or information that they've cleverly extracted from you and fed back. Oh and one day I had a free live on air "reading" and the "psychic" was giving me advice on my upcoming house move and relationship...I was single at the time and not even looking to move house! I didn't have the guts to say it was all untrue though. Grr.

I don't know if the rules have tightened up now but I liked how you used to be able to text in anything, within reason, and it would be guaranteed to be read out. It was good (but expensive) fun inoffensively winding up those bimbo presenters! Thankfully, I have more of a life now. :o
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I have seen psychics properly face to face and have gotten a lot out of it and have felt a lot calmer about things. A local psychic went onto this show and after a while just didnt agree with how they ran it as they were taking peoples money without any guarantee they would get an answer.

I texted the show and also sent in a voicemail a few times and got them read out. Out of the 8 times I got readings only 4 of them were spot on/accurate. Recently it seems they have tightened the rules and seem to be very restricted which puts a lot of people out of pocket, maybe a change in management? it used to be a half decent show but not so much now. If you see their facebook page its littered with disgruntled viewers not getting their messages read.

If your thinking of messaging this show I wouldnt bother! spend your money on a proper psychic for an hour session and you will get more out of it than just a 2 minute reading which usually comes across wishy washy and not straight to the point.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Years and years ago my Dad gave my niece a good telling off for phoning chat lines after getting a really high phone bill, turned out it was my Mum phoning Mystic Meg - she didn't see that one coming! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rose-wh wrote: »

Defiantly a stupid thing to do in my opinion. Can't beleive anyone with half a brain could fall for this type of scam.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Local pychics are the best.They dont charge much and are recommended by word of mouth.Some predict the future and can get things 90 -100% right
  • Options
    rose-whrose-wh Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Defiantly a stupid thing to do in my opinion. Can't beleive anyone with half a brain could fall for this type of scam.

I had half a brain at the time, so sorry

As for scams, this is NO different to calling 118118 and related scam numbers

How much do THEY charge for a simple directory enquiries question per minute plus plus and who in their right mind in this day and age would EVER call them and who actually OWNS them

eta, I found the answer

WHAT DOES IT COST TO USE 118 118?
    Calls to 118 118 cost 38p per call plus £1.59 per minute, (minimum 60 second charge) from most landlines. This is how BT and Virgin Media charge for landlines, but there may be differences in how other networks charge.

If you are using a mobile phone to call 118 118, you will find that the charges will be different, and often cost more.

This is because each mobile operator (and some smaller landline operators) apply an additional handling charge to some elements of the call which will change what you pay.

118 118 does not control how and when these surcharges are applied, nor do we profit from them.

To help you find out accurately what your operator will charge you, select the link of your relevant operator below:

Orange
    T-mobile
    Vodafone (Contract customers)
    Vodafone (PAYG customers)
    O2
    Note that we always send mobile callers a text of the number you have requested. So if you choose not to be put straight through, you can easily connect via the texted message. This could save you money, because the minute by minute charge applied by mobile operators is usually much higher than our own per minute rate of £1.59.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people are willing to spend their money on that then why do I care? They are obviously naive.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to be psychic to realise why they're in this game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @rose, that's not really a good comparison. Even somone with half a brain would know ringing 118 is done for a valid reason. For whatever it costs, you generally get an answer to the question you put to them. One that you needed and one that you can now use. These physic people are, well scams. Im not sure why anyone would ring them and expect a 'real' answer. It's obviously at best just entertainment.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    @rose, that's not really a good comparison. Even somone with half a brain would know ringing 118 is done for a valid reason. For whatever it costs, you generally get an answer to the question you put to them. One that you needed and one that you can now use. These physic people are, well scams. Im not sure why anyone would ring them and expect a 'real' answer. It's obviously at best just entertainment.

Really? I remember a friend calling 118 and getting lumbered with an Indian person who didnt know where my mate was on about, how hard is it to locate London Zoo? he gave up and googled it on a library computer while on the go in the end.