BT BB only goes up to 16 MB?!

Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
Forum Member
Hi all

I just looked at BT's BB packages and there's only 2 on offer :

'Unlimited' and 'Unlimited Extra'.

Now I appreciate that is because 'Infinity' isn't in my area but I did a line check on their site and it mentioned I could get between 10 and 20 meg.

I'm with 02 at the moment and I'm getting a comfortable 17 meg. Why is BT (if I sign up with them) going to limit what I can get ? :confused:

Comments

• albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to clarify your query. You are getting 17 with O2, so presumably your line will not support higher. If BT are saying that they estimate between 10 and 20 (which encompasses 17), what is wrong with that, and where did you get the figure of 16 from?

Where would BT be limiting you any more than the line is limiting you with O2?

With O2, you are seeing the actual result of the line in action, whereas the BT figures are just an estimate based upon a line test.
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at the O2 and BE broadband sites they also say "Up to 16mb"

What you've noticed is the result of new advertising guidelines, put in place by the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) and the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which have changed what broadband providers can say about the speeds they offer.

Under new rules, which came into effect in April 2012, broadband providers can no longer advertise with the top speed physically possible on their lines. Instead, they must promote an "up to" speed that can actually be received by at least 10% of customers using the service.

You would probably achieve the same speed as you currently get with all of the ADSL2+ providers.
  • Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    You need to clarify your query. You are getting 17 with O2, so presumably your line will not support higher. If BT are saying that they estimate between 10 and 20 (which encompasses 17), what is wrong with that, and where did you get the figure of 16 from?

Here :

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages
    waz101 wrote: »
    If you look at the O2 and BE broadband sites they also say "Up to 16mb"

What you've noticed is the result of new advertising guidelines, put in place by the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) and the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which have changed what broadband providers can say about the speeds they offer.

Under new rules, which came into effect in April 2012, broadband providers can no longer advertise with the top speed physically possible on their lines. Instead, they must promote an "up to" speed that can actually be received by at least 10% of customers using the service.

You would probably achieve the same speed as you currently get with all of the ADSL2+ providers.

Ok, thanks.

And if I do decide to go with BT, the main reason would be because I've got my telephone with them.

I've no desire to go with Sky (since you have to take out either their TV or phone package to get BB).
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here :

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages

Ok, thanks.

And if I do decide to go with BT, the main reason would be because I've got my telephone with them.

I've no desire to go with Sky (since you have to take out either their TV or phone package to get BB).

Yet you'll put all your eggs in one basket with BT? That makes sense:rolleyes:.
  • Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Yet you'll put all your eggs in one basket with BT? That makes sense:rolleyes:.

What do you suggest, O 'wise' one ? :rolleyes: