Options

Gay Reporter Pwns RT (Russia today)

chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
From Hufft Post:
Gay Reporter James Kirchick Kicked Off Russian News Network For Protesting Anti-Gay Laws:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/21/gay-reporter-james-kirchick-russia_n_3790585.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
A gay reporter was kicked off a Russian television news broadcast Wednesday after he vocally protested the country's anti-gay laws during the middle of a segment.

Ahahahahahahahahaha! :D:D:D

Comments

• Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very brave and necessary, but he wasn't exactly "kicked off". He got ample time to speak.
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for him, standing up to the Russian bigots and fascists.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top class!
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Well done to him - more like this is needed.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I think you would find most news networks when they invite someone to talk about one issue - who then wants to discuss something totally different - might not be so keen to have someone back on again.

And of course the UK is not averse to targetting gay journalists and the US gay soldiers - as we have seen recently.

While Russia Today is of course a Kremlin mouthpiece you will actually find it probably offers far more rigourous scrutiny of our financial and banking system than the BBC or the US networks ever do!

Watch yesterday's edition of the Keiser report for example - with Owen Jones as a guest. A real critique of how our economic system is ripping off ordinary folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rE49lQZO8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I think you would find most news networks when they invite someone to talk about one issue - who then wants to discuss something totally different - might not be so keen to have someone back on again.

And of course the UK is not averse to targetting gay journalists and the US gay soldiers - as we have seen recently.

While Russia Today is of course a Kremlin mouthpiece you will actually find it probably offers far more rigourous scrutiny of our financial and banking system than the BBC or the US networks ever do!

Watch yesterday's edition of the Keiser report for example - with Owen Jones as a guest. A real critique of how our economic system is ripping off ordinary folks.

I watched that and RT is good for some things , but RT is the state controlled Putin mouthpiece. The same state that supports anti gay laws and the violence against LGBT people.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I watched that and RT is good for some things , but RT is the state controlled Putin mouthpiece. The same state that supports anti gay laws and the violence against LGBT people.

Do the laws support violence against gay people?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    This event shows that Russia Today is just a regime poodle that won't tolerate dissent from the official Putin line (even if that line is backward, intolerant and discriminatory) - shame on them.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

And whether we like it or not - the Govt the Russian people elected by a landslide.

As for Russia today - its great at critiquing the UK and US politicial system but of course is less keen on tolerating any criticism of the Russian govt.

I just wish some of our media questioned what the UK government is doing on housing, the economy, QE, promoting yet more excessive borrowing etc like Mr Keiser does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Do the laws support violence against gay people?

The Police take no action against the violence and Putin has spoken out against gays. I don't know of any specific laws supporting the violence unless you count the latest legislation which adds to the anti gay climate and stirs up hatred.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And whether we like it or not - the Govt the Russian people elected by a landslide.

As for Russia today - its great at critiquing the UK and US politicial system but of course is less keen on tolerating any criticism of the Russian govt.

I just wish some of our media questioned what the UK government is doing on housing, the economy, QE, promoting yet more excessive borrowing etc like Mr Keiser does.

Our media is pretty servile towards our governments and critical of our enemies and the Russian media is servile to Putin and critical of it's enemies (the West.) It's pretty clear that propagandism rules the roost ahead of critical journalism.

However, your point about Putin winning a landslide election is one that I'd dispute. Easier to win a majority when you're stuffing the ballot boxes. Nor does a landslide victory mean that a regime should have the impunity to victimise it's citizens (in this case LGBT ones) without criticism or challenge.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

...and that "election win" was helped by a partisan election commission stuffed full of regime loyalists that bars opposition candidates from standing, a compromised judicial and police system that persecutes opposition leaders and supporters, a biased state media that only gives airtime to Putin loyalists and so on.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunch of comics with nothing else to do tomorrow are going to do a free gig outside the Consulate of the Russian Federation in Edinburgh at 2:30pm
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Yet Obama wins democraticly and is openly derided.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Yet Obama wins democraticly and is openly derided.

Obama is openly derided because of his authoritarian actions and his duplicity.

I;m not so sure what's particularly commendable about this guy on RT either. Fair enough he wants to challenge Russia's shameful treatment of LGBT citizens but he's only deflecting from the US injustice towards Bradley Manning, an LGBT citizen himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Obama is openly derided because of his authoritarian actions and his duplicity.

I;m not so sure what's particularly commendable about this guy on RT either. Fair enough he wants to challenge Russia's shameful treatment of LGBT citizens but he's only deflecting from the US injustice towards Bradley Manning, an LGBT citizen himself.

How do you know he is not campaigning against Manning's treatment also? There is only one Manning, there are millions of LGBT Russians.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Bunch of comics with nothing else to do tomorrow are going to do a free gig outside the Consulate of the Russian Federation in Edinburgh at 2:30pm

So you would have criticised Stalin or Hitler at the time then? Just sat at home sitting on your hands no doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know he is not campaigning against Manning's treatment also? There is only one Manning, there are millions of LGBT Russians.

Because he said he wasn't interested in Manning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Because he said he wasn't interested in Manning.

Oh right.. My impression was he went on to ambush the programme re the complete lack of coverage on RT about the anti LGBT violence and new anti LGBT law. There has been considerable coverage of Manning on RT, but I understand your point. Perhaps he should have condemned Manning's treatment also.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you would have criticised Stalin or Hitler at the time then? Just sat at home sitting on your hands no doubt.

Sarcasm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarcasm always works better if it is justified.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Excellent, showing RT for the propoganda outlet it already is. I am suprised the network hasn't had its licence revoked by OFCOM given the requirement for impartiality.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member

I am very left wing. and RT's scrutiny of our financial system is not proper investigative journalism. It is a Russian gloating propoganda that has little basis in truth that borders on conspiracy theory.
  • Options
    HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's the Irish guy in the clip?