Options

5 Thoughts - The Lineup

Comments

• Options
    Maths NutMaths Nut Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    1. I only recognise 3 of the celebrities in the lineup. No really - I'm not kidding.
    2. It doesn't matter that I don't know most of them, because I'll get to know them once the competition starts.
    3. I'm glad there isn't an obvious "hopeless" celeb picked for comedy value. I'm still getting over Widdy...<shudders>
    4. Seems like a good mix of ages.
    5. Fingers crossed for Sunetra!

Looking forward to seeing more of Claudia and Tess :-)
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Firstly, we've seen Simon dance on the Christmas special.

As for Mark- unless he pulls a Halfpenny/Tointon, he'll be eliminated for being from TOWIE and somewhat vacuous.

Yeah, and Simon was pretty good - he certainly wasn't a three-legged horse.

Mark is popular amongst young people as well - he got enough votes to finish as the runner up on IAC a few years back.
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, and Simon was pretty good - he certainly wasn't a three-legged horse.

Mark is popular amongst young people as well - he got enough votes to finish as the runner up on IAC a few years back.

IAC is less of a family show than SCD- the older viewers won't vote for him unless he's brilliant- they'll probably prefer the likes of Jake or Tim!

And Simon wasn't great... bear in mind Elaine Page got 9s for a Cha Cha that on the main show would have got 7s tops. They're a bit kinder at Christmas! I think he'll be more a Nicky Byrne than a Harry Judd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IAC is less of a family show than SCD- the older viewers won't vote for him unless he's brilliant- they'll probably prefer the likes of Jake or Tim!

And Simon wasn't great... bear in mind Elaine Page got 9s for a Cha Cha that on the main show would have got 7s tops. They're a bit kinder at Christmas! I think he'll be more a Nicky Byrne than a Harry Judd.

I guess all will be revealed!
  • Options
    cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

By way of comparison - one member of Westlife won IAC the year after another member of Westlife had struggled in the vote on Strictly and ended up in three dance-offs in four weeks (and it probably would've been four for four if not for a freak second place position on the leaderboard). Different voters.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maths Nut wrote: »
    1. I only recognise 3 of the celebrities in the lineup. No really - I'm not kidding.
    2. It doesn't matter that I don't know most of them, because I'll get to know them once the competition starts.
    3. I'm glad there isn't an obvious "hopeless" celeb picked for comedy value. I'm still getting over Widdy...<shudders>
    4. Seems like a good mix of ages.
    5. Fingers crossed for Sunetra!

Looking forward to seeing more of Claudia and Tess :-)

Saves me posting, ta! I am you. Except I can't do maths for toffee and I knew of 5 of them. *swanks*

Ahead of knowing who is who, I'm interested to see Sunetra and Steve. And I have the usual dull fear that I'm going to end up backing the guy everyone loathes (Gregg), just for balance. Trouble is, I don't much warm to him either :o:blush:
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've ALWAYS looked forward to that thread every week op :) so well done and thank you for starting it last year. Here are my 5 thoughts

1- I'm SO excited that strictly is back :D:D; I really missed it :cry:

2 -This is a VERY strong line up. One of the BEST we ever had.

3-Thom Evans ( handsome, has rhythm, doesn't take himself too seriously and funny ? My kind of man :p ) is my early favorite :kitty:. Fingers crossed he's partnered with either Natalie, Iveta, Kristina or Joanna.

4-unpopular opinion BUT I'm going to miss Brucie :(. I really look forward to see Claudia and Tess presenting. Claudia is especially Hilarious in the Celebraquarium :D

5-YAY !!! happy days !!! Strictly IS BACK :D !!!
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    1. Gregg. Aliona. Custard.
    2. I wonder if Scott will dance to a eurovision song
    3. Sunetra in a doctor or nurse outfit during Halloween week :blush:
    4. At least Jake can call in the help of a former quarterfinalist on set.
    5. Mwah......if there were was someone on from MBB, I would have preferred Fiona (the one who plays the daughter-in-law, but is actually Brendan's daughter).
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    1. Suck
    2. on
    3 that
    4. Simon
    5. Cowell

Brilliant :D:D:D !!!
  • Options
    PinkDiamondPinkDiamond Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Can't wait for Strictly to start
    2. Please, please let me be lucky enough to get tickets this year
    3. Love the fact that there is no obvious winner in the line up
    4. Looking forward to seeing the new pros, particularly Joanne in ballroom
    5. I'll miss Bruce but am looking forward to seeing the Tess and Claudia double act

:):):):):):)
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. No Brucie yippee :D
    2. Tristan :blush:
    3. I suspect Greg will be Dom Littlewood mark2.
    4. I can't wait for it to start.
    5. Tim will be first out.
  • Options
    RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Underwhelmed by the line up, were more famous people all washing their hair ? Want a better cast next year
    2. Six likely strong dancers methinks, messrs Lott, Flack, Webbe, Bridge, Evans and Sarkar
    3. Not keen on Bollywood myself, but I guess some will like it and the show needs regular updating
    4. Just hope they get the pairings right, no silly mismatches on height and personality, please
    5. Despite reservations will probably enjoy the series anyway, but not as excited as I would have liked to be
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Janette probably is saying what she said last year.
    2. At least they are slightly younger on average.
    3. They may be starting on a more level playing field.
    4. I could enjoy this year if the producers don't screw it up.
    5. The reveal was done well - even the whimper at the end was better getting done in 1 event instead of 3.
  • Options
    Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    1) All our usual pigeon-holes are in evidence except the obvious joke/spectacle contestant:

Ringer: Pixie, Frankie, Simon, possibly Caroline or even (bear with) Allison.
    Male eye candy: Simon, Thom (:blush:), Mark, Steve.
    Female eye candy: Pixie, Caroline, Frankie.
    Sports star: Thom, Judy.
    Dark horse: Sunetra, Steve, Allison (thank god for Steve otherwise the phrase "dark horse" could've been an unfortunate turn of phrase).
    Likely (but not definite) no hoper: Gregg, Tim.
    Batty older contestant: Tim, Jennifer.

2) One of the ringers has to be this year's Pendledrama - my money's on Frankie.

3) I honestly think we may see the highest average score Week 1 ever -

Series 1: 23.88
    Series 2: 22.50
    Series 3: 22.75
    Series 4: 22.93
    Series 5: 24.79
    Series 6: 24.31
    Series 7: 24.31*
    Series 8: 24.43
    Series 9: 23.00
    Series 10: 22.07
    Series 11: 24.07

Series 5 holds the record so far, but with all the ringers this year, I think that may be smashed. :D

4) OH MY GOD I ACTUALLY KNEW ALL 15 BY NAME AND FACE WHAT IS THIS.

5) If Sunetra makes the final I will bankrupt my family voting for her: so far, since series 5 when I started watching proper, my favourites have been Gethin, Lisa, Ali, Pamela, Holly, Dani, Sophie. I AM DUE A WINNER.
  • Options
    Demi_pointesDemi_pointes Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    1. I knew 12 out of 15, not bad!
    2. Different people, same types of contestants, it's like casting by numbers
    3. Please let Thom Evans be decent at dancing, I can't take another year of ogling a no-hoper
    4. I fear Alison Hammond is going to fill miss Funnity-Fun-Fun's shoes
    5. Quite looking forward to seing them all, I can't say I see an obvious waste of Strictly screen time

Yay!
  • Options
    sambadansambadan Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Bearing in mind the cast list who gets paired up with which pro is more important than ever imo.
    2. Judy Murray may surprise a lot of people. As a tennis coach and someone who is physically fit and light on her feet I would not be too quick to dismiss her chances.
    3. Is Anton ever going to get paired up with a young contender???
    4. Claudia deserves the step up to permanent co-host.
    5. Sad to see Robin unable to compete.
  • Options
    FunkyFoxtrotFunkyFoxtrot Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, we've seen Simon dance on the Christmas special.

As for Mark- unless he pulls a Halfpenny/Tointon, he'll be eliminated for being from TOWIE and somewhat vacuous.

Do we have any links to Simon dancing on the Christmas Special? I can't find anything :confused:
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Do we have any links to Simon dancing on the Christmas Special? I can't find anything :confused:

Think they have deleted all the vids from that special (except one for Su Pollard, uploaded by a fan).

They used to be on there though, as I rewatched the winning performance (Charlie & Vincent) many times. Haven't been able to find that vid for a year or so.
  • Options
    FunkyFoxtrotFunkyFoxtrot Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think they have deleted all the vids from that special (except one for Su Pollard, uploaded by a fan).

They used to be on there though, as I rewatched the winning performance (Charlie & Vincent) many times. Haven't been able to find that vid for a year or so.

Thanks, I can only see a tiny bit of him entering the dance floor at the end sequence.
  • Options
    mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. 'Celebrities' who have taken part in ANY other reality show should be banned - Strictly is too good to waste its time on the desperate who try and work their way up the Reality show ladder.
    2. Tim will almost certainly be better at ballroom than Latin.
    3. Judy will probably be the 'surprise' who is better than we're supposed to think she'll be.
    4. Disappointed in some of the professional 'loses' - Artem come back to us!
    5. I always think the line up is rubbish when it's announced but once the show gets going I forgive my favourites their dubious 'celebrity' credentials and grow to love them :-)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    1) I'm looking forward to this series starting
    2) I'm glad to see that Claudia is playing a part in the main show. I've missed her these past few years
    3) I'm also looking forward to ITT starting again. Zoe has been a wonderful replacement for Claudia
    4) Not sure about so many new professionals. I like recognisable faces
    5) I liked the way of revealing the celebrities
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    1) I'm looking forward to this series starting
    2) I'm glad to see that Claudia is playing a part in the main show. I've missed her these past few years
    3) I'm also looking forward to ITT starting again. Zoe has been a wonderful replacement for Claudia
    4) Not sure about so many new professionals. I like recognisable faces
    5) I liked the way of revealing the celebrities

There are only 3 new pros :P Last year there were 4 or 5, whether or not you count Iveta!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are only 3 new pros :P Last year there were 4 or 5, whether or not you count Iveta!

Three new pros on top of last year's four makes a big heedless merry-go-round of staff over two short years. Admittedly the loss of Robin is temporary and beyond the control of the show. And it's fair enough if others would want to pursue careers in a bigger pond, But it would have made sense to go for as much stability as possible this year, what with the seismic change of Brucie leaving. Seems that James was pushed out for voicing strong opinions, and we don't know what happened over Anya, quite probably their most talented choreographer last year. It would be good to know the show understood the value of the dancers they have/had in their employ.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Three new pros on top of last year's four makes a big heedless merry-go-round of staff over two short years. Admittedly the loss of Robin is temporary and beyond the control of the show. And it's fair enough if others would want to pursue careers in a bigger pond, But it would have made sense to go for as much stability as possible this year, what with the seismic change of Brucie leaving. Seems that James was pushed out for voicing strong opinions, and we don't know what happened over Anya, quite probably their most talented choreographer last year. It would be good to know the show understood the value of the dancers they have/had in their employ.

There's not much the producers can do when the pros no longer want to take part - and I can't complain about them getting shot of James!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not much the producers can do when the pros no longer want to take part - and I can't complain about them getting shot of James!

I guess not! James was a strong flavour but he was one of those elements - like the man with the hat - that added something you can't just slot back in place. If some other guy started wearing the hat, he'd be an imposter! Two new male dancers from here (and it'll change if they turn out to be good or characterful) don't have the same force that James had all on his own. That's the thing really... It's the 'presence' of the people who have gone that will be missed. Vincent, Artëm and James were all strong presences in different ways. Trent, Aljaž and Tristram are going to have to be vivid people to replace those three. At least Aliona seems to be back securely -- love her or loathe her, another strong flavour.

And I appreciate that most of those changes were imposed by the dancers themselves or dictated by injury.

But in some ways it's going to be controversial and interesting. I'm starting to wonder if one of the reasons (apart from career and money) that Ola stayed on after James was removed is a kind of stealth bombing campaign. She can cause more trouble and protest better about the usual Jordan grievances from inside the camp. :o