Catching a very early morning flight

Comments

• BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    My flight to Naples last week was at 6am and because of transport difficulties I took the tube the evening before and coach to the airport. Arrived around midnight, slept for one hour there and then and checked in by 4am.

Had a nap in the plane and when I arrived at my flat, but other than that no problems. Quite uncomfortable sleeping on the airport floor.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I don't see the point in an overnight hotel, if you have a 4am check in and are within a couple of hours of the airport.

I live a 45 minute drive from Gatwick and almost missed a flight due to an accident on the M25 meaning it took almost 4 hours! We swore that day we would never take that chance again.

If you're paying for parking at the airport anyway, often a hotel plus parking is just as cheap and you get an extra night at the start of your holiday. We did it this year and our flight was at 2pm - I don't think I'd do it any other way
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    If you're paying for parking at the airport anyway, often a hotel plus parking is just as cheap and you get an extra night at the start of your holiday. We did it this year and our flight was at 2pm - I don't think I'd do it any other way

Considerably cheaper in my case.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    For an early flight I would always try to stop at an airport hotel even if you only get 4 hours sleep. It removes the risk of problems with traffic or public transport and I'm too old to sleep on airport floors.

Then have a couple of pints in the airport bar and soon as you get on the plane you can go back to sleep again.

On the assumption that when you say 'early flight' you are talking about 06.30 for example, that means that you are blandly suggesting a couple of PINTS at around 05.30.
    Where are you from, another galaxy?
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this is a bit of a naive question, but how do you manage things when you have to catch a very early morning flight?

Say the flight is at 6am, that means you need to be in the airport for 4am. Which for most people means leaving the house at 3am or before. There's no public transport at that time so taxi is your only option is you don't drive.

Do you try and sleep until 2am? Do you just get to the airport the evening before and wait, do you get a hotel nearby?

Any tips?

This used to be a problem for me (my flights were invariably early in the morning) until I decided to take a hotel room the night before. Perfect solution for me and well worth whatever you have to pay - although, as others have said, you can usually get something reasonable close to the airport.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the assumption that when you say 'early flight' you are talking about 06.30 for example, that means that you are blandly suggesting a couple of PINTS at around 05.30.

Go into any airport at 5:30am and you will find the bar packed. There's something a little naughty about having a couple of drinks at that time in the morning. You aren't going to be driving for the next couple of hours and it helps you get back to sleep on the plane. So why not?
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might sound mad, but set your alarm for the end of a typical 90 minute sleep cycle. Squeeze in at least 3 would be ideal, and you should feel surprisingly refreshed (for a short while at least.) Most importantly don't try to wake yourself up when you're in the middle of a deep sleep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    The worst thing for me is late night flights coming home when you’ve been chucked out of your accommodation earlier in the day.

I never understand why people complain about that. Check out of the room, put your bags into the hotel's storage, enjoy a full final day on holiday then pick up your cases and go to the airport.

The worst thing is an early flight back on your final day as it ruins your last night out knowing you have to but up early the next morning (or party all night and not go to bed)
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go into any airport at 5:30am and you will find the bar packed. There's something a little naughty about having a couple of drinks at that time in the morning. You aren't going to be driving for the next couple of hours and it helps you get back to sleep on the plane. So why not?

It's out of fashion now and the Alcohol-Fascists will raise their eyebrows as they sip their bottles of water that are superglued to their hands..

Also, the Check-in and Gate Fascists will ban you from the flight if they suspect you are drunk (more than 1 pint)

Cabin Crew Fascists will refuse to serve you more alcohol than they deem acceptable (afternoon and evening flights only).

It's all in the interest of aircraft safety, you understand.

The old days are no more.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    When we fly from Glasgow, even though its only 2 hours away max or less on the train, we always grab an airport hotel. Just don't want to take the chance of the train breaking down like happened to us going to Manchester airport in June! Thankfully the flight was the next day and we went early morning the day before.

On the 25th we have a 0650 flight from Newcastle to Kefalonia, so are traveling down the previous day and staying at the premier inn at the airport.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't usually get a hotel but that's because we have a bus service running through the night and the bus stop is only a couple of minutes drive away for an hour long journey that drops you at the airport door.

Usually try to get a couple of hours sleep beforehand though.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the posts so far. I don't actually have a flight booked but was looking at a few and was just wondering what other people did.

I live near Reading so can get to Heathrow pretty quickly, Gatwick a bit longer. I drive but the car parking prices look horrendous and given the shuttle bus journey needed it would take the same time as getting a much cheaper coach. If I'm going with work I will just expense a taxi.

As someone that struggles to get to sleep before midnight I was more asking about whether the 2-3 hours of sleep is worth it or whether it make you feel worse. From the replies I guess it is worthwhile getting your head down for any length of time. RE: the 90 minute sleep cycle thing - I don't really understand how that works as how do you know what time you will fall asleep? When I put my head down at night I might drop off straight away or it might take me an hour before I fall asleep.

Edit: The only thing that made me dubious about hotels is how close they actually are to the terminal. If I still have to get a 15-20 minute taxi in the morning then it's almost pointless
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In a free and democratic society, you can do whatever you fancy, providing you don't hurt anyone, but what I meant was, I can't understand anyone FANCYING a pint or two that early in the a.m., just the mental image makes me feel nauseous.
    Of course, just because I wouldn't want alcohol that early, it doesn't mean that no one should.
    I probably drink 60 to 70 centilitres of vodka in any given week, but I couldn't even contemplate having one before around 13.00.
    I'd no doubt still say yes if someone offered me one at 01.30, so I guess that it is horses for courses.
    Now I'm beginning to think that some people who indulge in alcohol at 05.30 are really mentally saying, "Look at me, I'm a geezer, and I'm naughty too."
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the posts so far. I don't actually have a flight booked but was looking at a few and was just wondering what other people did.

I live near Reading so can get to Heathrow pretty quickly, Gatwick a bit longer. I drive but the car parking prices look horrendous and given the shuttle bus journey needed it would take the same time as getting a much cheaper coach. If I'm going with work I will just expense a taxi.

As someone that struggles to get to sleep before midnight I was more asking about whether the 2-3 hours of sleep is worth it or whether it make you feel worse. From the replies I guess it is worthwhile getting your head down for any length of time. RE: the 90 minute sleep cycle thing - I don't really understand how that works as how do you know what time you will fall asleep? When I put my head down at night I might drop off straight away or it might take me an hour before I fall asleep.

Edit: The only thing that made me dubious about hotels is how close they actually are to the terminal. If I still have to get a 15-20 minute taxi in the morning then it's almost pointless

Most of the Heathrow hotels have a shuttle service - some will include the cost in the price they quote for a room, others will not - however the shuttle is only £4.50 which will be much cheaper than a taxi or mini cab I would think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    Most of the Heathrow hotels have a shuttle service - some will include the cost in the price they quote for a room, others will not - however the shuttle is only £4.50 which will be much cheaper than a taxi or mini cab I would think

If you are in one of the inner hotels (mostly along the Bath Road) then you can get free travel to the terminals on local buses. This isn't advertised well by the hotels themselves and they will point to you the Hoppa or taxi

http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/heathrow_local_buses.htm
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I don't see the point in an overnight hotel, if you have a 4am check in and are within a couple of hours of the airport.

Nor me, seems unnecessary expense.
    Forum Member

Lots of people drink that early in the morning, I certainly do.
    Forum Member
    It's out of fashion now and the Alcohol-Fascists will raise their eyebrows as they sip their bottles of water that are superglued to their hands..

Also, the Check-in and Gate Fascists will ban you from the flight if they suspect you are drunk (more than 1 pint)

Cabin Crew Fascists will refuse to serve you more alcohol than they deem acceptable (afternoon and evening flights only).

It's all in the interest of aircraft safety, you understand.

The old days are no more.

Unless you are steaming and acting like a prick then you will have no trouble getting on flights. I regularly get on flights after 5 or 6 pints.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I'm beginning to think that some people who indulge in alcohol at 05.30 are really mentally saying, "Look at me, I'm a geezer, and I'm naughty too."

It's something I only do a couple of times a year and it's a nice treat to start your holiday. I certainly wouldn't do it on a business trip. I was recently at Gatwick at 6am for a 7:30am flight and the Wetherspoons was packed out.

Some people were eating burgers and chips at that time in the morning which is something I could never do.
    Forum Member
    It's something I only do a couple of times a year and it's a nice treat to start your holiday. I certainly wouldn't do it on a business trip. I was recently at Gatwick at 6am for a 7:30am flight and the Wetherspoons was packed out.

Some people were eating burgers and chips at that time in the morning which is something I could never do.

I had a Burger King at 7am at Majorca airport and it was hard work. But a bottle of wine at 7am presents no problems.:D
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't do it either but I used to work at Smithfield Market which is open all night and closes around 6/7am - the pubs and greasyspoons were (I'm not sure if they still are, I'm going back a 'few' years) open all night and the guys working in the market would be first in line for a huge fry up and a pint of something cold - to them 6am was actually their 6pm, so I'm prepared to give some of the patrons of Wetherspoons at Gatwick the benefit of the doubt, they may have been up all night :D;-)
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of people drink that early in the morning, I certainly do.

Why though? Do you drink that early at home normally? If so you might have a drink problem? I have never seen the point of drinking lots alcohol before a flight as it will dehydrate you and make you feel crap. Not saying you are but it always seems to be chav types drinking too much at the airport and being loud and rude! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Guapo wrote: »
    Why though? Do you drink that early at home normally?

No, I never drink at home that early. I'm almost never awake that early at home anyway. The only time I might have a drink at home before noon is a sherry on Xmas Day. However, going on holiday is all about doing things you don't do at home. A couple of pints at 6am twice a year doesn't equal a drink problem.

Besides if it is 6am in UK and you are flying to LA then it will 10pm there and you'll be probably drinking at that precise time in 24 hours. A couple of drinking now just helps you get into the right time zone.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually fly down from Edinburgh to LHR once a week to get to work - I'm based there. I Go to bed for 11am and then up at 4 - shave shower then drive to EDI. There for 5.30.

I've done this for over a decade and really think nothing of it.

My secret is toi get straight out of bed, no 'snoozes' as that almost always makes me later to drive, roads busier, check-in busier, and sometimes missed flights.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did this last year, had to be at the airport at 3:30am so went to bed at 9 and slept till 2.

I do this ^ I live about 30 min drive from the airport and get a cab. There is a direct train route but I don't want to be on my own in a deserted area waiting for the courtesy bus ....