Why does American Idol takes care of former contestants and XF never learns

konofiliuskonofilius Posts: 586
Forum Member
✭✭
It's so good to watch that AI invites contestants from three four seasons back. Meanwhile Simon fires everyone one who failed to go double platinum.

Comments

• Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idol are very good with that. They occasionally even invite back contestants who don't have huge record deals to promote their new music. Last year, Stefano (7th place in 2011) came back, and earlier this year, Casey (6th place 2011) got to perform.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe because 6th and 7th place in AI contestants are a lot more talented than (most of) our winners/runners-up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they are nice.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is mainly because of Simon Fuller. He is the one who is actually in charge of AI and came up with the idea of Pop Idol and subsequently all the other Idol franchises. He is a different kettle of fish to Simon Cowell who doesn't appear to have a compassionate bone in his body.

Will Young is still with Simon F's agency after eleven years - this tells you a lot.
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I have noticed this as well they are very supportive of contestants who were on the show X factor needs to start doing this.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Simon Cowell's main concern is money, if you don't bring in the money then he's not interested in you. I doubt he's even interested in making music, the only reason he's probably in this business is because of the money it makes. lol
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    It is mainly because of Simon Fuller. He is the one who is actually in charge of AI and came up with the idea of Pop Idol and subsequently all the other Idol franchises. He is a different kettle of fish to Simon Cowell who doesn't appear to have a compassionate bone in his body.

Will Young is still with Simon F's agency after eleven years - this tells you a lot.

Don't kid yourself. Sam and Mark(2nd and 3rd on pop idol 2 UK and put together as a duo) were managed by Simon Fuller and dropped after the 2nd single and didn't even get to release an album which apparently they were working on.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Simon invited lots of former xf acts as well as bgt acts for his fake wedding thing. He still supports ant and dec who were a big part of pop idols success. He is a great man and is the one behind the biggest stars on ai. He spotted them all.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Maybe because 6th and 7th place in AI contestants are a lot more talented than (most of) our winners/runners-up.

I beg to differ. XF has had way more talented people in every series. Just because AI places more emphasis on the singing part of it, doesn't make it any better.

I agree with this though, it's nice to see AI doing that for its contestants. XF sort of does that too though, I mean you got Amelia, Misha, Olly, JLS, Alex, Leo, LM all coming back to preform so it's not as if they've been completely mishandled.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were Exec Producing X Factor and could book some hot act for the Sunday slot but were told you had to welcome back Craig Colton, you'd probably not be too thrilled. :D

However it might appear for those few minutes they're paraded on the Idol stage, the history of Idol winners is as messy as the UK ones. In some cases the artists fired 19 Management. In others 19 dropped the artists - sometimes while those artists were kept on by Sony (Jordin Sparks for instance).

These days they're all over the place. The only ones to move with Simon Fuller to XIX are Carrie Underwood, David Cook and Will Young. The winner and runner-up of season 10 signed to XIX as well but Scotty McCreery switched management last year.

At any one time, as with X Factor, a sizeable number of Idol winners are barely clinging onto their record deals. This kind of thing is true across the industry and not really specific to either X Factor or Idol.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Don't kid yourself. Sam and Mark(2nd and 3rd on pop idol 2 UK and put together as a duo) were managed by Simon Fuller and dropped after the 2nd single and didn't even get to release an album which apparently they were working on.

Sorry but i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they wanted to head in to the TV presenting career track, rather than music. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they wanted to head in to the TV presenting career track, rather than music. :)

No not true I know for a fact they were dropped and went into presenting to pay back what they owed from their marketing and PR budget for their records.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that but I've also noticed that every woman in this years American Idol would win TXF with their eyes closed, especially Candice and Kree who undoubtedly have big careers ahead of them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed that but I've also noticed that every woman in this years American Idol would win TXF with their eyes closed, especially Candice and Kree who undoubtedly have big careers ahead of them

America is a bigger country than the UK. You may have noticed ...
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    America is a bigger country than the UK. You may have noticed ...

No I hadn't. Thanks for enlightening me. Talent is talent no matter the size of the country though is it not?
  • konofiliuskonofilius Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I hadn't. Thanks for enlightening me. Talent is talent no matter the size of the country though is it not?

In a country with 6 times bigger population, probability of discovering THAT talent is also respectively higher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konofilius wrote: »
    In a country with 6 times bigger population, probability of discovering THAT talent is also respectively higher.

I agree same with sports people and is why we were so proud at the olympics winning so many medals from our small pool
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So agree. :)
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you are correct