Christmas Top of the Pops 2013?

AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a quick enquiry. Has anyone heard anything as to whether TOTP will return this Christmas Day as in previous years? If so, do any of you think it is past its sell by now and do schedulers need to look at something else to fill a bit of time with on Christmas Day/

I haven't heard or read anything about it this year. The last couple of years they've had a New Year's Eve edition too.

Comments

• AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone posted on here yesterday that it's been cancelled but didn't explain or provide any evidence.

I think they should stick with it. I don't see how an annual round up of the year's biggest hits can be past its sell by date, considering there's so few outlets for live TV performances and singles sales are as high as ever, and the Christmas show still gets a respectable rating.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Someone posted on here yesterday that it's been cancelled but didn't explain or provide any evidence.

I think they should stick with it. I don't see how an annual round up of the year's biggest hits can be past its sell by date, considering there's so few outlets for live TV performances and singles sales are as high as ever, and the Christmas show still gets a respectable rating.

That thread that appeared yesterday was a bumped up thread from 2008! The person bumping it is a bit of a bizarre individual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have e-mailed the Beeb anyway, though they might not be able to confirm or deny at this point.

In a way it wouldn't be surprising if they did quietly drop it, though on the other hand they didn't even cancel it last year at the height of the Savile thing and in fact did 2 shows! I think they like the idea of keeping the show on life support because it is such an iconic brand.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    That thread that appeared yesterday was a bumped up thread from 2008! The person bumping it is a bit of a bizarre individual.

that was me i bumped it up in error thinking it was the current one. but glad now found the right page
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    It's a shame as while it's nice to see it on Christmas Day, so much more effort could be made in actually getting the artists responsible for the biggest hits of the year to perform them. Other than the occasional exception no one outside of the UK goes anywhere near it - even increasingly the X Factor contestants aren't appearing - and you instead get a very odd and inaccurate representation of that year's music, mostly featuring one-hit wonders or veteran musical acts past their sell-by date.

It was nice to see Carly Rae Jepsen make the effort to travel over and sing live last year but that seems quite rare. The nadir was in 2011 when Jessie J sent over a recorded clip of a demented almost pisstakingly-bad version of 'Price Tag' which has to be heard to be believed.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    that was me i bumped it up in error thinking it was the current one. but glad now found the right page

'in error'? How did you manage to dig out 'in error' a thread from 2008 that hadn't been active for 5 years until you posted on it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure the BBC will do the TOTP Christmas special, it's one of those TV traditions at that time of year.

It does annoy me how they put such little effort into producing the show. They use that same tatty set every year in that tiny TV studio, never mind the same cheapo graphics and awful presenters. :rolleyes:
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,471
    Forum Member
    EuroChris wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the BBC will do the TOTP Christmas special, it's one of those TV traditions at that time of year.

It does annoy me how they put such little effort into producing the show. They use that same tatty set every year in that tiny TV studio, never mind the same cheapo graphics and awful presenters. :rolleyes:

They quite clearly don't want to do it - and I can't really blame them. It's well past its sell-by date as a format, the acts aren't interested, and the nostalgia has all sorts of unpleasant connotations these days. Let it die.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was actually two separate threads from 2008 that were dug up and posted into yesterday implying this had been axed if you look back a couple of pages.

But as the show has been back since 2008 then there seems to be no stated reason other than people being misled by two 5 year old threads resurrected to suggest it will be axed in 2013.

It may get axed by the BBC at some point but after the furore over this issue in the past then I will be surprised if there is not one as usual this year.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we wont know if it will be back until the Christmas schedules are finalised which probably wont be until beginning of December.

Hopefully it will be back but whether Reggie and fearne will present is doubtful seeing as Reggie no longer presents the chart on radio 1 but still that wont stop him. I think Jamela Jamil should present this year seeing as she is the chart show host now.

Also as far as i know last few years TOTP has been pre-recorded something like 2 weeks before Christmas.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem with the more modern TOTP is that it was basically miming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    The problem with the more modern TOTP is that it was basically miming.

Not really. Most acts sang live in later years.
  • NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they dont have that awful presenter, whats his face, the one who got sacked from the voice and is bland and rubbish
  • mbanbrookmbanbrook Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Can anyone identify this TOTP theme tune from 1970? Wikipedia just says "unknown brass track"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU6GBwxqZK8
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mbanbrook wrote: »
    Can anyone identify this TOTP theme tune from 1970? Wikipedia just says "unknown brass track"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU6GBwxqZK8
    It sounds like an in-house BBC composition created in a Bond theme style to appear cool and trendy. No surprise to find it doesn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very reliable TV/music industry friend of mine has been able to find out that TOTP is definitely on this year. Phew!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who do we reckon will be on realistically?

I would guess Passenger, Naughty Boy feat. Sam Smith, Bastille, Rudimental feat. Ella Eyre, John Newman, Ellie Goulding, Icona Pop, Olly Murs, Lily Allen, The X Factor winner, maybe Robin Thicke if they're lucky, or they might wimp out and think it's too risqué for Christmas lunchtime.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like an in-house BBC composition created in a Bond theme style to appear cool and trendy. No surprise to find it doesn't.

There's 3 versions of those titles.

The one on the YT link, plus one each featuring cartoon cut outs of Blackburn & Savile saying the immortal words 'It's Number One It's Top Of The Pops!'
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a horrible feeling it'll be Grimmy and Fearne presenting, although (based on the strength of their Children In Need concert) Chris Evans and Fearne would be a far better bet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filming in Riverside Studios next Friday and Saturday. There's a New Year's Eve show again this year, which is a good sign. I suppose it makes it more economic sense to get two primetime shows out of it.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great! Now they just have to find some songs from this year that are worth listening to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great! Now they just have to find some songs from this year that are worth listening to.

It's been one of the best chart years for ages, grandad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed!

This year has been one of THE worst for music I have EVER EVER known!!

Same repeative awfulness...personally think BBC should let this show die now, it's been pretty much dead since bout 07/08 anyway
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed!

This year has been one of THE worst for music I have EVER EVER known!!

Same repeative awfulness...personally think BBC should let this show die now, it's been pretty much dead since bout 07/08 anyway

I agree with you and it was one show I never missed on Christmas Day but the last few years I can take or leave it.
    It was always one of the highlights on TV on Christmas Day.
    I think they should do away with it too.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Who do we reckon will be on realistically?

I would guess Passenger, Naughty Boy feat. Sam Smith, Bastille, Rudimental feat. Ella Eyre, John Newman, Ellie Goulding, Icona Pop, Olly Murs, Lily Allen, The X Factor winner, maybe Robin Thicke if they're lucky, or they might wimp out and think it's too risqué for Christmas lunchtime.

Can imagine the people currently plugging new albums like Robbie Williams, Gary Barlow & One Direction will pop up. Leona Lewis & Mary J Blige have Xmas albums out too.