2015 - the year of OLED?

2»

Comments

• DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I spose now would be a good time to post this again. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPIsTKpAoE4
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I understood the point but things have still moved well forward with standard LCD on TVs.

I'm also wondering if this desire for thinness has likely made cheaper edge lit TVs popular, whilst back lighting, logically does sound much better.

Yes, true. They are a lot better now.
    Your're probably right. My Dad's is about 1 atom thin and weighs about 1 gram.
    Gotta be edge lit that one! :)
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    TV's with VA Screens are the best for Blacks but aren't the best at keep color consistency across screen.
    They're still LCDs, therefore they still won't get anywhere near OLED panels.

kidspud wrote: »
    OLED are definately the best for black. Its blue they seem to struggle with, although top end OLED and LED screens are so good nowadays it is not that relevant to a purchase decision.
    That's untrue, the latest OLED panels have the most accurate colour reproduction of any screens you can get.

In their respective reviews of them, Displaymate describe the colour accuracy of LG's OLED TVs and the Galaxy Note4 as being virtually indistinguishable from perfect in their lab tests.
    With the Note4 in particular, it took the title of most accurate colour reproduction (for mobile devices) from the Tab S, which had followed on from the S5. So OLED panels (in mobile devices) have been consistently better than their LCD counterparts for nearly a year now, if not longer.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    They're still LCDs, therefore they still won't get anywhere near OLED panels.

That's untrue, the latest OLED panels have the most accurate colour reproduction of any screens you can get.

In their respective reviews of them, Displaymate describe the colour accuracy of LG's OLED TVs and the Galaxy Note4 as being virtually indistinguishable from perfect in their lab tests.
    With the Note4 in particular, it took the title of most accurate colour reproduction (for mobile devices) from the Tab S, which had followed on from the S5. So OLED panels (in mobile devices) have been consistently better than their LCD counterparts for nearly a year now, if not longer.

That's very interesting. When displaymate had the iPhone as the best display, some on this forum claimed it wasn't valid, so I assumed we stuck by that principle now.

I can't comment on the note4 as I do not know anyone that has one, however, the S5 definitely has a blue tint to it.

However, as I've already said, displays are so good now that they are not a selling feature for the vast majority of people.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, reviews chose different contexts when claiming 'best'.
    So in the contexts Displaymate chose, the old iPhone screens were best back then.

Change context and something else can be best. Just think of them Beats headphones.
    Many hate them but in context some may like them best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, reviews chose different contexts when claiming 'best'.
    So in the contexts Displaymate chose, the old iPhone screens were best back then.

Change context and something else can be best. Just think of them Beats headphones.
    Many hate them but in context some may like them best.

The measure of displays and your beats example bare no relation to each other at all.

I've very happy to trust the results of displaymate, I always have.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, grey blacks did not seem to matter and neither did vibrancy, something very very much welcomed by those with Plasma TVs of old.

And those who pay stupid money for an LG OLED TV set may well be as welcoming, no doubt choosing to stray from new OLED accuracy towards a dynamic vibrant setting for most viewing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, grey blacks did not seem to matter and neither did vibrancy, something very very much welcomed by those with Plasma TVs of old.

And those who pay stupid money for an LG OLED TV set may well be as welcoming, no doubt choosing to stray from new OLED accuracy towards a dynamic vibrant setting for most viewing.

Whether it matters to the individual or not didn't come into it on a displaymate review. They measured the colour accuracy of the screen.

Many on here say that the 'popping' colours of the Samsung devices were what the user wanted despite it not actually representing natural colours. I think that is a very valid view but would not have changed the displaymate review.

As for TVs. considering most come out the factory with inaccurate colour settings, and almost no one round get a to calibrated, it really doesn't seem that important a measure for people.

Take that into the smartphone world where the vast majority of phones are low end devices, and it clearly matters even less.