Windows 10 for mobile phones first look

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Microsoft has unveiled Windows 10 for phones (for devices up to 8"). Microsoft is trying to share code across all versions of Windows 10.

http://www.neowin.net/news/so-long-windows-phone-microsoft-shows-off-windows-10-for-phones-and-small-tablets

Comments

• garroshgarrosh Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I would not even bother with it Sailfish OS is where its at Bring on the jolla tablet even more open then android and even runs runs android apps. Sailfish Os is where its at for openness
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garrosh wrote: »
    I would not even bother with it Sailfish OS is where its at Bring on the jolla tablet even more open then android and even runs runs android apps. Sailfish Os is where its at for openness

You could well be right. I've watched the W10 repeated live stream 15 times now and they are definitely light on openess. Come on Microsft get back to your core mission to bring an open platfor to the universe.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is gona be banging, cant wait...
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

:kitty:
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

seems to look partly like Symbian and partly like Windows Phone?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all Lumia phones will get Windows 10 or all the features. This may be due to memory limitations as 512Mb is quite common on Lumia phones.
    Chris Weber, Corporate Vice President of Sales for Microsoft's Mobile Devices group, said today that the new OS "has been designed to run well on today's Lumia phones." But he added that "not every phone will upgrade or support all possible Windows 10 features, and certain features and experiences will require more advanced future hardware."

However, Weber also said (emphasis ours): "Our goal is for the majority of the Lumia phones running Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 to join the Windows [10] ecosystem", which implies that some devices may get left behind.

This may be a reference to handsets that we already know about, like the Lumia 810. Exclusive to T-Mobile in the US, the carrier dropped support for the device after just 16 months on sale, and refused to offer any further OS updates for it. But the possibility remains that other devices may join the 810 in also being unable to update to Windows 10.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-not-all-lumias-will-upgrade-or-support-all-windows-10-features
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all Lumia phones will get Windows 10 or all the features. This may be due to memory limitations as 512Mb is quite common on Lumia phones.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-not-all-lumias-will-upgrade-or-support-all-windows-10-features

It's interesting that they just announced some new very budget phones, the 435 and 532, both with 1GB RAM
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting that they just announced some new very budget phones, the 435 and 532, both with 1GB RAM

Over the years software has become more demanding. My first Smartphone was a HTC Canary (Orange SPV branded released in 2002) running Microsoft Windows Mobile. It had a 133MHz Single Core CPU and 16 MB RAM / 24 MB ROM plus it was 2G only.

Microsoft will know what hardware specs they are aiming for so will have to raise the bar accordingly,