Options

royle family verdict

Comments

• Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode ever. I hope they will be back next year.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it should return for a full series. After all, it won't be the same if Nana's not in it, and Anthony wouldn't be in it either due to him being a high-flyer now. I suppose a storyline they could do is the family moving, but that would only be one episode, I suppose that could be a special next year. But what could they find to do in a full series? I can't see it.

They could all become millionaires and walk off into the sunset.

And then come back a few years after that and lose everything through some dodgy financial dealings in the Far East, and end up back in their council house again.

And go on a game show like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, only slightly different, and win £1/2m.

And then lose it...

:rolleyes:

Oh, the possibilities are endless...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They got me wanting more! I think they should have specials every year. that way, the actors can do others things, but still leave us hanging on for more.
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could all become millionaires and walk off into the sunset.
    Hilarious consequences ensue...

For what it's worth, I don't think OFaH was ever up to much post-1989.
    It probably had about two brilliant years during the mid-eighties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    I only caught the last 30mins of it but what I saw was brilliant.
    Some really funny bits and some really touching and sad moments.
    Shame to see Nana die and the great Liz Smith leave the show (if there are any future eps, that is).

Really lovely show. Caroline's still got it!

I don't think there should be another series, this ep gave the show a nice end I thought, but I'd love to see Caroline write a new show. ;)
  • Options
    Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the series, Anthony dated Emma, yet reference in this one-off show was made to 'Sarah'. Did anyone else notice this?

Ralf Little in The Sun's TV Mag: "Anthony has married posh Emma. He's popped in on the way to a conference in Milton Keynes. He's not minted but he has a trendy haircut and is a bit pleased with himself."

Looks like Ralf Little hasn't been reading his scripts properly (or they got the name wrong).
  • Options
    high_on_candyhigh_on_candy Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it.
    As said it was obvious that she was a gonna from the first thing but it was really sad, I cried.
    I did not like some of it though, how Jim was with the son(sorry forget their names!) with the money that was a bit mean and other stuff like that.
    Also I found it really depressing and found it painful to see nana die and all of them looking so rough and old! But I did enjoy it and laughed out loud most of it.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outstanding, thankyou to all invoved.
    R.I.P Nana
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I think it was a great moving episode and a fitting end to a great series.
  • Options
    CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THAT was utterly one of the best pieces of television drama in years. Yes, drama. It's a sitcom - but tonight's episode was a drama. SO WHAT if a show branches out into a different genre... it's what soap operas do all the time - you got comedy episodes, and drama episodes, and thriller episodes and even scary episodes in soaps, so why not surprise us with a genuinely moving piece of drama in a show that is normally a sitcom?

As a piece of drama, it delivered.

To me it felt like obvious BAFTA baiting for next year... but in a good way. Liz Smith should win some kind of award for that incredible performance, much like Thora Hird did for her Alan Bennett monologue, 'Waiting For The Telegram' I think it was called. Just stunning and I've never cried watching a TV programme as much as I did tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the first half but the second half was a bit too dark for me. Very well acted though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cwej wrote:
    Liz Smith should win some kind of award for that incredible performance, much like Thora Hird did for her Alan Bennett monologue, 'Waiting For The Telegram' I think it was called. Just stunning and I've never cried watching a TV programme as much as I did tonight.

Speaking of Thora Hird, I remember a one-off drama she did a few years back called "Lost for Words". It was about a man caring for his elderly mother as she suffered a succession of strokes and became increasingly dependent. Parts of it had me absolutely distraught with sadness.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the episode was too sad to be shown on Christmas day.

it never stops EE though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote:
    it never stops EE though!

Nor the others. Emmerdale has a murder plot lined up. Never understood why the soaps inflict their most miserable storylines on christmas day.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with those who thought it was brilliant, genius. We squealed with delighted laughter and then sat drained, the emotions were both touchingly simple and painfully raw and deep, very deftly handled. I can't remember anything for a very long time that encompassed such a range. I have never thought the RF is just about working class people in the north sitting round watching TV, it's universal and all seeing about humanity, I identify with it totally, tonight it came close to distilling the meaning of life.

In the doc that followed I thought Peter Kay was spot on with every comment and Richard Maddeningly was just burbling dribble. Judy talking about menopausal Barbara walking out and everyone pretending to be concerned but not really caring (her interpretation) - My God, what volumes that spoke about being Judy Finnegan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    very good. i was a bit surprised by the time passing, i wanted it to feel like other episodes in one time frame. but this episode was good. even in the sad moments like nana going in hospital, it was still funny. (joe going through the wrong door) i didn't think taking it out of the royles home worked, but made sense. overall 10/10. hope it returns.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was excellent! I wasn't sure if I was looking forward to it that much after the last Christmas special (which I didn't think much of) but this one delivered. I cried too.

R.I.P. Nana. She was my favourite character. :( If anyone here has watched Charlie & the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp you'll see that Liz Smith was great in that too, IMO anyway.
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me what extras the current complete boxset has or the one thats going to be coming out next month has? I guess they will probably be the same, but have been able to find an extras list.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    OMG. I can't believe I missed this episode! I was in the pub! So gutted!! :( Can someone PM me with a link to where I can watch the episode or send me it so I can watch it? I might cry otherwise. And I'm rather drumk. Not a good combo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    OMG. I can't believe I missed this episode! I was in the pub! So gutted!! :( Can someone PM me with a link to where I can watch the episode or send me it so I can watch it? I might cry otherwise. And I'm rather drumk. Not a good combo.

yea..i missed it too, can you send it me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamfocus wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what extras the current complete boxset has or the one thats going to be coming out next month has? I guess they will probably be the same, but have been able to find an extras list.

The first three series discs just had a couple of the christmas specials so it'll just be those and the extras on the finale disc which according to play.com are:

Commentaries from Caroline Aherne, Craig Cash and Ralf Little
    Outtakes
    Deleted scenes
    making of: featurette
    Family tree: featurette
    Review
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I think the people slagging it off must be wannabe northerners. You have absolutely no clue what you are on about.

Touching to the point of a breakdown, and SO funny and on form at the same time.

Absolute classic, the best ever episode.

We want MORE here, ALOT MORE!!! THANKYOU Caroline Aherhe and the cast!

RIP Norma/Nanna xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was as funny as it used to be - not as many lol moments, but the touching way they handled the death of Nana more than made up for it. I was in tears from the moment Barbara found her until the end!

RIP Nana.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was the best bit of televison I've seen in a very long time. I was laughing constantly until the scene with Barbara doing Nana's hair. But even when it was being painfully emotional it was still funny. I was so close to breaking down when Nana died, but then such a small thing such as Cheryl having Hula Hoops on all her fingers at the funeral had me creased up laughing again.

This episode was a masterpiece in controlling the audience's emotions. Pure brilliance!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    SSCruel wrote:
    I thought this was the best bit of televison I've seen in a very long time. I was laughing constantly until the scene with Barbara doing Nana's hair. But even when it was being painfully emotional it was still funny. I was so close to breaking down when Nana died, but then such a small thing such as Cheryl having Hula Hoops on all her fingers at the funeral had me creased up laughing again.

This episode was a masterpiece in controlling the audience's emotions. Pure brilliance!

Spot on, i think the people who said it was crap are annoyed at being reduced to emotional wrecks in front of their loved ones. I wanted to ball my eyes out but had to hold it back for dignity's sake. I will watch it again when i'm alone and enjoy it for what it was, pure brilliance. I hope it's not "the end".