Options

Miley Cyrus backs suicide prevention group

jodiemg :)jodiemg :) Posts: 509
Forum Member
✭✭
Miley Cyrus has voiced her support for a suicide prevention group in a bid to secure them a $1m (£625,000) grant.

The 17-year-old filmed a video asking her fans to vote for the organisation To Write Love On Her Arms to help them win the Chase Community Giving program.

The group provides online support to people considering taking their lives.

"I don't think people really realise what a problem [suicide] is and how many people really struggle with depression and end up taking their lives for it, especially so many young people out there so I think it's really important we all get involved," Cyrus told WENN.

"The money will go towards the launch of a live online crisis network which will be really amazing for all these people that just need a family and community. I think it's an amazing cause and I really want everyone to go out there and get involved."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a198564/miley-cyrus-backs-suicide-prevention-group.html

Thoughts?? :confused::)

Comments

• Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much to disagree with is there?

Bringing attention to a good cause.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    TWLOHA is a very good cause. Anything that can help to prevent suicide/depression is brilliant. Members of Paramore frequently wear t-shirts with this organisation's name on it. Having known someone who committed suicide, and the devastation it causes, I'm all for these types of organisations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for her. Promotion of something as worthwhile as this can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd love to get a TWLOHA hoodie or t-shirt..what's $40 into £'s roughly? Also, dunno whether they'd post to the UK because it's an American organisation.
  • Options
    Sleepy HollowSleepy Hollow Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jodiemg :) wrote: »

considering her voice and music are likely to drive suicidal thoughts into folks heads it seems an average fit, seriously its just another zeleb spouting to big her self up at the expense of a cause.

She has more than enough to spare a million for this charity but like all the zelebs prefer their greed to others need.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    considering her voice and music are likely to drive suicidal thoughts into folks heads it seems an average fit, seriously its just another zeleb spouting to big her self up at the expense of a cause.

She has more than enough to spare a million for this charity but like all the zelebs prefer their greed to others need.

You have no idea if she's given them money herself or not, do you?

In any case, she can probably do just as much good by supporting them publicly as she is doing.

I like Miley. She seems a very normal, good-hearted young lass.
  • Options
    ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for her, great cause
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Its a good thing, at least she is doing a worthwile thing for once instead of doing much more pointless things.

But there is something i dont like about TWLOHA, they benefit enough from bands wearing their t-shirts and hoodies, i would have liked to have seen it going to another organisation that is maybe not as well known, but does a lot nehind the scenes includsing supporting families left behind aswell. But any help for this issue is certainly positive.
  • Options
    Eli CodyEli Cody Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't read it because there's a huge advert over two thirds of the opening post like there always seems to be with me. Does anyone else have this problem.:confused: I can't get rid of them either.:(
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I may not overally care for her music, but if you think she is just a "zeleb", then you are talking nonsense, she is very famous, and very popular.
  • Options
    jodiemg :)jodiemg :) Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good on her :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is there any way of getting TWLOHA merch in the UK? any UK stores?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I like Miley Cyrus, her songs are mostly fun mindless pop stuff, and this is an amazing and quite personal cause too. I've just ordered one of the black t-shirts, looks amazing and its one of the ones that paramore wears too which makes it even cooler by coincidence. I live in the UK, it cost extra obviously, like £4 quid onto the price of the shirt, but i really dont mind for something so cool. Dunno how long it will take, they say international deliverary is longer but i'll save this thread to my favourites and write when mine comes through. Just ordered it 10 mins ago! Can't wait for it.
  • Options
    HammyHammy Posts: 4,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see she did a video with Joaquin Pheonix and Liv tyler, it's has over 1.2 million views since yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzX6XXVEa4s
  • Options
    Sleepy HollowSleepy Hollow Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frost wrote: »
    I may not overally care for her music, but if you think she is just a "zeleb", then you are talking nonsense, she is very famous, and very popular.

Oh forgive me clever one for daring to slight what is after all just a selfish money/fame hungry zeleb who only gets involved to raise personal profile and not that of the cause they claim to support, :rolleyes:

I may be an american but i do have good bullshit intuition when it comes to people like her, her attitude and support is about as genuine as Jordan's tits.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    Is there any way of getting TWLOHA merch in the UK? any UK stores?

No, but if you order off the website, http://www.zambooie.com/twloha/
    they do send international via Zambooie. I have ordered from them loads of times, and orders come about a week after ordering. I love TWLOHA, they do fantastic work for a really good cause. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I'd love to get a TWLOHA hoodie or t-shirt..what's $40 into £'s roughly? Also, dunno whether they'd post to the UK because it's an American organisation.

They do post to the UK because I've ordered from them about going on 7 times now; 5 t shirts, and 2 wristbands. And $40 will be roughly about 24 pounds.
  • Options
    EmotionEmotion Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Her music is enough to make people want to committ suicide ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Found a UK site. :)To Write Love On Her Arms