Options

Just watched Ameila's sing off performance again - since when is that shouting?

Comments

• Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Luddym wrote: »
    You see what you did there? You are making your opinion fact.

Are you a musical expert? In the business? If not, it is just your opinion.

No, I'm really not.

And I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but I'm fairly knowledgeable about the technicalities of music, and she wasn't shouting. She shouted a bit on Think to hit the top notes, and it was noticeably off sounding, but she didn't at all on "You and I".
  • Options
    Resistance xResistance x Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    It's called having a different opinion than yourself. Just because you think we are wrong, doesn't mean you are right.

Oh I'm sorry, read the posts on this thread, many say 'she was shouting' not 'in my opinion she was shouting'. they are written as if it's a fact when it's not. it works both ways.

If people don't like someone on this forum they just jump on the bandwagon and find something to critisise.

I fail to see how anyone with normal hearing and neutral views could ever call that shouting, (IMO).
  • Options
    PhoebeJeebiePhoebeJeebie Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mischa looks evil, like she would eat you afterwards.

Little Mix and Janet seriously look like Jailbait. Not unattractive as such, but would feel very very wrong.

Amelia, although young, looks a fair bit older. And I agree she is a very attractive young lady....... I just don't agree with the circumstances of her being there.

Ah, the truth is slowly emerging from you!
    It's hardly her fault for being back in the show. Many people thought that she was very credible and that Kelly R made a very, very poor decision in kicking her out. She is back in, and is at a disadvantage because she hasn't had the weeks of mentoring (yeah, I know the mentoring is a joke) but she hasn't had the vocal coaching or choreography training in the weeks she missed, yet she is head and shoulders above many of the remaining acts. She has the greatest potential IMHO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary does this all the time, especially to the young girls. He did it to Janet, to Little Mix and now to Amelia. If Misha starts to become popular again he will do it to her. His only concern is to pull down the other acts and make his look good.

He doesn't have to. He's got the best act in the competition and has had from the start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caterwauling is a better description. It was just lazy critique from Gary ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't have to. He's got the best act in the competition and has had from the start.

You surely don't mean the scouse lad.......jeez, Barlow has managed to turn him into a 60's motown tribute act with the awful retro look. The kid can sing and has a pleasant voice, but he might as well join a Detroit Spinners tribute act.......the unoriginality is staggering, but i blame his mentor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Ah, the truth is slowly emerging from you!
    It's hardly her fault for being back in the show. Many people thought that she was very credible and that Kelly R made a very, very poor decision in kicking her out. She is back in, and is at a disadvantage because she hasn't had the weeks of mentoring (yeah, I know the mentoring is a joke) but she hasn't had the vocal coaching or choreography training in the weeks she missed, yet she is head and shoulders above many of the remaining acts. She has the greatest potential IMHO

I can't argue that she has the greatest potential. I can't argue that given time, she could be head an shoulders above the rest.

But........ for someone to win the X-Factor, or keep going through simply on potential, when they are not as polished as the others, or hasn't worked as hard, is simply a farce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I'm sorry, read the posts on this thread, many say 'she was shouting' not 'in my opinion she was shouting'. they are written as if it's a fact when it's not. it works both ways.

If people don't like someone on this forum they just jump on the bandwagon and find something to critisise.

I fail to see how anyone with normal hearing and neutral views could ever call that shouting, (IMO).

'In my opinion'.? Now you really are nitpicking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't argue that she has the greatest potential. I can't argue that given time, she could be head an shoulders above the rest.

But........ for someone to win the X-Factor, or keep going through simply on potential, when they are not as polished as the others, or hasn't worked as hard, is simply a farce.

Well she didn't have the opportunity to work as hard as the others, KR took that away from her.
    She didn't have the opportunity to build a fan base like the others did, coming back in to the competition so late is actually a massive disadvantage.

So it's even more to her credit having not had the weeks of hard work that she is wiping the floor with some of the others, imagine how far in front she would have been if she had had the same chances as the others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    If anyone shouted in the sing-off, it was Craig. He had no feel for dynamics - soft throughout, then booming at the top of his voice for about 10 seconds, before drifting back to the same softness.

There was no graduation, no ascent, and those kind of sudden changes just didn't work well - they were far too extreme. Amelia's dynamic changes, on the other hand, were spot on.

Gary is the most tactical, hypocritical judge ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on Amelia fans. At least concede one thing - that was Amelia's weakest performance in the competition to date.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You surely don't mean the scouse lad.......jeez, Barlow has managed to turn him into a 60's motown tribute act with the awful retro look. The kid can sing and has a pleasant voice, but he might as well join a Detroit Spinners tribute act.......the unoriginality is staggering, but i blame his mentor.

I totally agree, he criticises other judges and says he is bored of the same old thing...and he has Marcus doing 60's tribute acts every week!
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - Amelia was shouting, and she was on the flat side for much of the song.

Craig's performance was much better - although, as another poster has said, took the dynamics to the extreme rather than graduated them. With more subtlety, it could have been a very good performance.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cream147 wrote: »
    Oh come on Amelia fans. At least concede one thing - that was Amelia's weakest performance in the competition to date.

actually no where near her worst, probably one of her best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well she didn't have the opportunity to work as hard as the others, KR took that away from her.
    She didn't have the opportunity to build a fan base like the others did, coming back in to the competition so late is actually a massive disadvantage.

So it's even more to her credit having not had the weeks of hard work that she is wiping the floor with some of the others, imagine how far in front she would have been if she had had the same chances as the others.

But she isn't wiping the floor with anyone, that's the point.

I totally agree with you that she is at a disadvantage, but she is still in a situation that alot of the contestants would love to be. She has been given an opportunity that alot of people think she should not have been given. Now she has, is it fair to make exceptions for her because of this?

She clearly is not the best singer, or performer, and to be put in over halfway through the live shows was a bit much.

If she was in there from day 1, I think things would be totally different. But she wasn't, and neither were a lot of people that should have been. But X-Factor never works like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    actually no where near her worst, probably one of her best.

Well then I'm afraid I can't understand the Amelia appeal, because last night it seemed tuneless and shouty to me. Not in the same league as Gaga.
  • Options
    Resistance xResistance x Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Menk wrote: »
    Yes - Amelia was shouting, and she was on the flat side for much of the song.

Craig's performance was much better - although, as another poster has said, took the dynamics to the extreme rather than graduated them. With more subtlety, it could have been a very good performance.

"DOCTOR........another patient for a hearing test!"
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I didn't think it was either. Think Gary was just using it because he wanted Craig to stay. But Misha must be screaming if that's called shouting. :s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was a bit shouty but I thought it was petulant of Gary to say it in the way he did.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "DOCTOR........another patient for a hearing test!"

It's ok - the bleeding's stopped now. ;)

We all hear different things of course, but I'm confident with my assessment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    The song requires a strong voice, it's exactly how Lady Gaga wrote the song and she performed it like her 100%. To the people saying she shouted her way through it, do you think the same when Lady Gaga performs it?
  • Options
    SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary's just being controlled by Satan (aka. Simon Cowell), through his cuesheet or monitor. Why do you think he's looking down at his desk all the time? :p It's all a big script, so treat it like an episode of Corrie or Hollyoaks. He didn't really mean that. Durr.

But anyway. If Amelia's performance was considered shouting, then pretty much every other singing star shouts for a living as well - Aguilera, Beyonce, Leona, Burke, GaGa, the whole lot of them. To me it's just very good singing from a technical standpoint. Whether or not it's nice to listen to is a different matter (I don't particularly like listening to any of the above, or female belting in general), I still consider it a credit to anyone if they can belt out sustained notes. Amelia does it very well, albeit sometimes she could rein it in a bit. There's no need to belt every bloody note.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, its the top end.

Like on Saturday, the song was too high for her, and in trying to push those notes, she loses all tone , it simply becomes volume, there's no control.
  • Options
    MakinItHappenMakinItHappen Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see what you did there? You are making your opinion fact.

Are you a musical expert? In the business? If not, it is just your opinion.

Actually, even if he/she was a musical expert or in the business, it would still their opinion. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, even if he/she was a musical expert or in the business, it would still their opinion. :)

Nope. It would be an opinion based on valuable experience. :p