Worst book?

Comments

• FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    At school being forced to read Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee. Dull, dull, dull.

Then to cap it all, we were forced to read the 'sequel' As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning, which was even worse.

Arrrghh.
  • puddytatpuddytat Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    clarribo wrote: »
    I don't like to label things as worst but I wish I'd looked at the reviews on Amazon before reading "The Birthing House" by Christopher Ramsome.

I agree. Looked good, but story was awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    My Sister's Keeper - gripping right up until the COP-OUT ending. I was disgusted.

The Historian - bilge.

The Time Traveller's Wife - I lost respect for the colleague that told me it was her favourite book ever.

Any 'biography' by David Bret - there should be a list of credible biographers, and he should be struck off it.

Catcher In The Rye - I read it as a depressed teen and wanted to slap the narrator.

Anything by Patricia Cornwell after Point of Origin - she not only believed but tried to create her own hype and her subsequent Scarpetta novels are nothing but narcissistic masturbatory fantasies.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the first harry potter was badly wrote as it kept repeating the same names and was very bad in grammar too

rose madder: 400 pages in and I was still waiting for something to happen

Oh, the irony!

My personal choices for this list would have to be On The Road by Jack Kerouac and Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe - both of them had an absolutely unreadable quality to them in that neither had a single natural break antwhere in the book. Rambling, non-sensical, unengaging drivel from start to finish in both of them unfortunately.
  • demon freakdemon freak Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I have been reading the book for 5 years and still not finished by the time I pick it up again I will have to start from the beginning.

I must admit I enjoyed The Historian but can understand that it may not be to everyone's taste.

I found it hard to get into Dracula when I first began reading and only managed to finish it after forcing myself to do so but it took a few months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Let's see... Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite. Granted I didn't finish it, but I got more than halfway through before abandoning it. The main character was extremely annoying. I did like the writing style, though. Eh.
    Also, I read the beginning of Twilight and hated it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

I love books set in this period; think C.J. Sansom. But i found this unreadable pretentious crap. Poor writing, grammar, exposition so that you didn't even know who was speaking.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Surely the worst books are not badly written fiction but religious and political works which have inspired the deaths of millions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only two books I've never finished

Peter James - Dead tomorrow. To many characters to quickly and very little development for any of them.

Stephen King - Under the dome. Same as above but I'm determind to finish it eventually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't bother to finish reading The Sea by john banville and The time travellers wife. waste of my time and money :yawn:
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

or

Sap Rising by AA Gill.

Both total dross.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most books you're forced to read at school

To Kill A Mocking Bird, The Old Man And The Sea, The Gun, The Hobbit, etc

Never understood why such crap books are chosen as being suitable to study.

The only book, or I should really say play I enjoyed was An Inspector Calls.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

or

Sap Rising by AA Gill.

Both total dross.
    I've read Sap Rising as well. Even the sex scenes were bad! :D
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I've read Sap Rising as well. Even the sex scenes were bad! :D

We must be the only two! Its the only book I have ever actually thrown away!
    Forum Member
    SHAFT wrote: »
    We must be the only two! Its the only book I have ever actually thrown away!
    Yeah probably! It's one of those novels where you wonder why the author bothered writing it. Mine went in the charity bag!
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »

Never understood why such crap books are chosen as being suitable to study.

The only book, or I should really say play I enjoyed was An Inspector Calls.

I can't speak for The Old Man and the Sea or The Gun but its a shame you didn't enjoy TKAM or The Hobbit as I think both are wonderful books.

TKAM has a very powerful message and is brilliantly written - its got very important themes and I can only wish that I had studied it at school! And the Hobbit is a great book - i remember studying that at school and learning all about the different meters for the songs and poems and things like that. It's what really got me into reading actually and I remember our whole class asking to stay late so we could read more!

I understand if you didn't enjoy them at school but to call them the worst books? I think that's probably going a bit far...
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lost Symbol

I couldn't even finish it, it was that bad.
    Forum Member
    I understand if you didn't enjoy them at school but to call them the worst books? I think that's probably going a bit far...
    I agree with this. I don't think I enjoyed any of the books we did at school apart from '1984' and even that was a tough read at 16.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »

I can't speak for The Old Man and the Sea or The Gun but its a shame you didn't enjoy TKAM or The Hobbit as I think both are wonderful books.

Funnily enough To Kill a Mocking Bird was one I studied at 'O' Level (O Levels :o) and though I don't remember it clearly, I remember that I enjoyed it then. Reading this and just thinking of it now I'm going to get it and re-read it! :)

My own contribution to this thread would be Chris Moyles first book :sleep: I did finish it, though, as it was the only book I'd taken on that particular holiday :(
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Walter Scott - Kenilworth. perhaps some of his other work is much better but this was just tedious.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Terry Goodkind- I though "Wizard's First Rule" was awful. :(

I've never read it, but the Joan Collins book "Infamous" contains the notorious line:
    The stone steps crumbled like Camembert as she scrambled up them.
    :D
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the name or author of the worst book I've ever read, I just remember that it was a science fiction book where a group of people are transported (in some way never really explained) to a futuristic place where everything is colder and darker and the people (aliens?) who live there are by nature evil and cruel. They realise this is a hellish parallel dimension, escape it somehow and go to a warm, light dimension where the people are good but it's so perfect that it's practically sterile because nothing changes. And then they find their way back home again, the book ends and I wonder why the hell I read all 400+ pages of this garbage.

Second worst would actually be a trilogy of sci-fi books by Elizabeth Moon (Hunting Party, Sporting Chance, Winning Colours) which I read in an omnibus edition, I read them because I'd enjoyed her Vatta's War books but whereas those had a decent story and excitement, these had literally 100 to 150 pages about horseriding and foxhunting in mindnumbing detail sandwiched into the middle of a fairly dull story that only started picking up towards the end of the third book.
  • Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that Catcher in the Rye and Wuthering Heights have been selected.
    I found value in The Catcher in the Rye and every time I hear the word phoney it reminds me of the book, I share Holden's aversion to phoniness.
    Wuthering Heights is my favourite book, I think it's a masterpiece. I read it for the first time when I was about 7 and I remember being shocked that Cathy didn't want to go to heaven and if she ended up there she would cause a right rumpus and make the angels throw her back down to the Heights.
    I read it again as a teenager, then throughout my life at different ages. I read it again last year and found that I've taken different things from it depending on my age.

The worst book I've ever read is 'The Lovely Bones.'
    I hated it so much it has put me off modern fiction for life.
    I mean it, it scarred me - now I only read the classics and modern non-fiction, mostly biographies.
    I need a really good book recommendation to break me out of my self-imposed no-modern-novels-ever-again stance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    What a great thread. If nothing else it really does show how diverse everyone's taste is. So many books here I would agree are dire and yet so many that I quite enjoyed.

I'm really not too keen on historical fiction - although I'm rather partial to Jane Austen - and have never been able to get through anything written by a Bronte. Twilight books were wasted hours of my life I will never get back again
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova is pretty terrible. I started it quite enjoying it but by the end I found I hated it. Everything became a bit too conveniant and formulaic.

I have also tried reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell several times but find it a real chore. Too long winded and the constant notes are very distracting. Shame, because I enjoyed the book of short stories the author has written.