New Years Eve and the boohah

Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I will be staying in this New Years Eve as I have very recently changed jobs to work part time and take on the role of carer for my Mum who is disabled and has Spina Bifida among other things. I could go out but here is my take on it.

It costs an arm and a leg, you have to buy tickets weeks in advance for a club or pub you would normally go to for free or before 11pm to take advantage of free entry. When you would go after £11 it would be £10 or less to get in. The cheapest my friends and I found club wise was £35 plus taxis charge double time and do not get me started on the price of drinks. The queues and the crowds are ridiculous, over 40mins last year in the cold to get into a club we were paying £28 to get into and then £6.50 for a double vodka and coke.

I have decided it's an over hyped event I can do without and am going to stay in drink a bit, order a take away and watch the fireworks along the Thames and toast my Mum.

What are you thoughts and what do you have planned for New Years Eve?

Comments

• .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on you for looking after your Mum!! I have not celebrated New Year for about 20yrs...nothing to do with the cost..just cannot abide the false sentiment. Everyone kissing people they either don't
    really care about or don't really know and saying Happy New Year when they don't give a "you know what"..been there and done it! If I want to wish someone a Happy New Year I will do it when I see them and MEAN it!!
  • Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be cold, wet, miserable, and once you have 'been out' you then have to fight everyone else for public transport. TV and Jools' Hootenanny for me please!
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Not done New Year's Eve for a while now. You grow out of it eventually.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staying in as normal, will probably watch Alan Carr as it was really funny last year and if I'm still awake the fireworks on BBC1 at midnight, don't enjoy all the boohah and haven't for the last 10 years "celebrated" new year
  • Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on you for looking after your Mum!! I have not celebrated New Year for about 20yrs...nothing to do with the cost..just cannot abide the false sentiment. Everyone kissing people they either don't
    really care about or don't really know and saying Happy New Year when they don't give a "you know what"..been there and done it! If I want to wish someone a Happy New Year I will do it when I see them and MEAN it!!

Thanks. She's a handful, Scottish (I blame her for my red hair) loves New Year and I will be taking her to Weatherspoons for a few drinks in the afternoon :)
    It will be cold, wet, miserable, and once you have 'been out' you then have to fight everyone else for public transport. TV and Jools' Hootenanny for me please!

I love Jools Holland show I've usually watched it on catch up so it will be on for me :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. Sorry
    treme wrote: »
    Not done New Year's Eve for a while now. You grow out of it eventually.
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Staying in as normal, will probably watch Alan Carr as it was really funny last year and if I'm still awake the fireworks on BBC1 at midnight, don't enjoy all the boohah and haven't for the last 10 years "celebrated" new year

I'm going to tape Alan if he and Jools overlap but he was hilarious last year I think he was more than a bit squiffy even funnier I watched it on catch up with my own hangover inbetween throwing up. I think I just over shared. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staying in as always I much prefer it tbh probably with a film or playing a board game. Bit worried this year as got a new puppy who has never experienced fireworks and someone is bount to set some off.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Staying in as always I much prefer it tbh probably with a film or playing a board game. Bit worried this year as got a new puppy who has never experienced fireworks and someone is bount to set some off.:(

Our dog Misty goes totally mental and chases herself around the garden in November, almost giving herself a heart attack so we brought her a dog Adaptil Appeasear. It sends out pheromones to calm the animals down. I think you can get them from pet shops and vets also amazon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our dog Misty goes totally mental and chases herself around the garden in November, almost giving herself a heart attack so we brought her a dog Adaptil Appeasear. It sends out pheromones to calm the animals down. I think you can get them from pet shops and vets also amazon.
    Thanks will try that :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Thanks will try that :)

You're welcome there are some tablets you can put in their food as well called Maxi-Calm.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We avoid all the brouhaha and just stay in, enjoying being in our cosy living room, the christmas tree lights and the fire's flickering flames. We have plenty of food and drink in and watch Jools Holland and the fireworks by Big Ben. Then it's away to bed about 1.00am :)
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's always a thread on this topic around this time of year with the same majority consensus that most people have wised up on the needless spending loads of £'s, so you're not alone OP. I don't mind going out to something local but I've not heard of anything happening and I'll be content being warm indoors with toasting in the New Year with glass or two, watching the fireworks out the window or on TV. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We avoid all the brouhaha and just stay in, enjoying being in our cosy living room, the christmas tree lights and the fire's flickering flames. We have plenty of food and drink in and watch Jools Holland and the fireworks by Big Ben. Then it's away to bed about 1.00am :)
    That sounds so lovely and cosy.
    myss wrote: »
    There's always a thread on this topic around this time of year with the same majority consensus that most people have wised up on the needless spending loads of £'s, so you're not alone OP. I don't mind going out to something local but I've not heard of anything happening and I'll be content being warm indoors with toasting in the New Year with glass or two, watching the fireworks out the window or on TV. :)

I feel I should be out and about, but I just feel that it's peer pressure and I really don't want to go.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I'm working new years eve in the evening up to midnight. I volunteered. I get an extra payment for doing it, plus I get an extra day's holiday.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staying in. I'm in Edinburgh and can see the fireworks from my window. Spending New Year with my loved ones is all that matters to me, not getting cold, drunk and slobbered over by strangers. Past that! lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm working new years eve in the evening up to midnight. I volunteered. I get an extra payment for doing it, plus I get an extra day's holiday.

Double time? :)
    ejm wrote: »
    Staying in. I'm in Edinburgh and can see the fireworks from my window. Spending New Year with my loved ones is all that matters to me, not getting cold, drunk and slobbered over by strangers. Past that! lol

I think I'm 46 in the body of a 26 yr old, I really just cannot be bothered!
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Double time? :)

No, we get paid at our normal rate, but with 150 added for about 6 hours work, plus a day's holiday. It's a pretty decent deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, we get paid at our normal rate, but with 150 added for about 6 hours work, plus a day's holiday. It's a pretty decent deal.

It sounds it, I'm working in the morning but finish by 2pm.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel I should be out and about, but I just feel that it's peer pressure and I really don't want to go.
    I tell you what, come New Year's Day morning, look into your purse or log into your bank account and then be cheered by the amount of money you've saved by staying in the one night!

Buy a bottle of bubbly and share it with your Mum. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell you what, come New Year's Day morning, look into your purse or log into your bank account and then be cheered by the amount of money you've saved by staying in the one night!

lol thanks :) she is very fond of the Fireball whiskey they serve in weatherspoons, I shall get a few of those for her. I've looked for the bottle everywhere as a gift but couldn't find it unfortunately.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very well said. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Very well said. :)

I was thinking about it. At least £50 on an outfit from the sales, another £40 in taxi fares, £35 if we can get a ticket or in! £125 and i've not even brought a drink yet. I think I'm making the right decision :)