213 in 2013

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better or worse than the film?

Haven't seen the film yet, so can't compare! I thought the book was quite good. I did start to lose impatience with it towards the final third, felt like it started to feel a bit...I don't know, pretentious, maybe? It started to drag a little. Overall I liked it though, will watch the film off the back of it.
    Completely missed the twist - I thought his wife was dead and he was repressing it.

Have you seen it/read it? What did you think?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I'm going to try and aim for 50 books in 2013.

1. Debbie Macomber - Touched by Angels
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to make a proper effort this year after failing dismally last year. :o Going for a modest 1 a week, so 52 for me.

1. Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe. Chilling story about parents whose murdered daughter returns to haunt them.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't seen the film yet, so can't compare! I thought the book was quite good. I did start to lose impatience with it towards the final third, felt like it started to feel a bit...I don't know, pretentious, maybe? It started to drag a little. Overall I liked it though, will watch the film off the back of it.
    Completely missed the twist - I thought his wife was dead and he was repressing it.

Have you seen it/read it? What did you think?

I've seen the film and I loved it, probably my favourite film of 2012. I'm considering reading the book :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Well I read 114 in 2011 and 105 in 2012, so guess I'm aiming for over 100 again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen the film and I loved it, probably my favourite film of 2012. I'm considering reading the book :)

The kindle version is only £2.99 on amazon at the moment, I'd say it's worth it. Once the DVD's out I'll report back on the film! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kindle version is only £2.99 on amazon at the moment, I'd say it's worth it. Once the DVD's out I'll report back on the film! :D

I don't have a Kindle ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a Kindle ;)

You can get it for the PC. Well I say you can, but it doesn't actually work on my computer. You can get it on the pc if your computer doesn't throw tantrums :D But anyway, my point was - personally I think it was worth what I paid, not sure if I'd pay full price for it. But if you loved the film that much (or can get a secondhand copy ;)) I'd say go for it.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Nation - Terry Pratchett. I'm a Pratchett virgin and can't believe I've overlooked this wonderful writer (despite several recommendations from friends).

I'd not hesitate to recommend this book to even the most critical reader, it was wonderful.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a Kindle ;)

Those words, can they be used together in a sentence like that? :eek: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    1. Nation - Terry Pratchett. I'm a Pratchett virgin and can't believe I've overlooked this wonderful writer (despite several recommendations from friends).

I'd not hesitate to recommend this book to even the most critical reader, it was wonderful.

I loved nation too. Not a massive Pratchett fan generally, there's some that are ok but disc world don't really rock my world. Nation thou - was a book I thoroughly enjoyed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2. The Other Daughter by Lisa Gardner. First book of hers I've read but have a couple more on my Kindle and really enjoyed this one so will definitely read more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get it for the PC. Well I say you can, but it doesn't actually work on my computer. You can get it on the pc if your computer doesn't throw tantrums :D But anyway, my point was - personally I think it was worth what I paid, not sure if I'd pay full price for it. But if you loved the film that much (or can get a secondhand copy ;)) I'd say go for it.

I'll definitely be for the second hand - I only have new books at Christmas, my birthday and I sometimes buy something I REALLY want just as I go on holiday :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    izanami wrote: »
    Those words, can they be used together in a sentence like that? :eek: :D

I can't justify the cost of a Kindle :)

Or indeed a smartphone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after failing to get past 25 books last year:o I am determined to do better this year:D

I do have a kindle and its a life saver, I have joint problems and holding open a book made reading difficult. :)

I am going to aim for 30:o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member

Or indeed a smartphone.

I always said that, and refused to leave paper books. Mum got me a second hand kindle for Xmas a year back. I've since upgraded to a new (but still keyboard) one, and with amazon prime I can get loan books now, so I see it as saving money :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or indeed a smartphone.

Unless you use the library more than buy books I would say that a Kindle would save you money eventually.

yes the inital outlay is quite high, especially if you go for the Kindle Fire HD like I did, but with their daily specials, free books and if you are also an Amazon prime member, the ability to borrow many titles for a set amount of time, I'd say you would have actually saved money by the time you had the Kindle a year.

Having said that, I also still buy print books so its not working out so well for me :D

I love my kindle though. Never thought I would and wouldnt buy it for myself, but hubby got me one as a birthday present and you wouldnt believe how much it had enhanced my reading experiences :)
  • HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. You Had Me at Hello by Mhairi McFarlane
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Saving Grace by Ciara Geraghty. Funny story told through the eyes of Grace, a 20 something year old who's lost her way in life. Some funny moments, some sad - touches on grief, infidelity, friendship, family tensions and love. A nice read. 1 down, 99 to go!

2. The Half-Life of Hannah by Nick Alexander. A good book but not my favourite.
    3. You Had me at hello by Mhiari McFarlane. LOVED this. Made me laugh out loud a few times, will definitely be checking out her other books.
    4. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie. Nice childhood story that I hadn't read before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2. Grimm Tales by Philip Pullman (2nd-5th January) – Fifty of the Grimm Brothers’ fairy tales re-told by Pullman. He hasn’t updated them or changed them very much at all. At the end of each is some notes on similar tales and some background info on them, as well as some suggestions for how they could be improved, if possible. I really enjoyed it as I’ve always meant to get around to reading the ‘original’ texts of these stories. Very enjoyable if you have any interest in fairy tales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Unless you use the library more than buy books I would say that a Kindle would save you money eventually.

yes the inital outlay is quite high, especially if you go for the Kindle Fire HD like I did, but with their daily specials, free books and if you are also an Amazon prime member, the ability to borrow many titles for a set amount of time, I'd say you would have actually saved money by the time you had the Kindle a year.

Having said that, I also still buy print books so its not working out so well for me :D

I love my kindle though. Never thought I would and wouldnt buy it for myself, but hubby got me one as a birthday present and you wouldnt believe how much it had enhanced my reading experiences :)

I do borrow a lot of books from work (school library and random books we get sent as a department) and also buy a lot from charity shops - we have a couple of really good ones near us which are 50p a book maximum :) plus I'm giving to a good cause.

Other people can enjoy their Kindles if they want to - I just have no idea why everybody seems to want to convert me! (That includes my friends!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    boobyloo wrote: »
    1) The Hunger Games

I liked the book but having seen the film spoiled it for me as I think its takes the imagination out of it. But I did enjoy it and will be reading the rest of the trilogy.

2) I really enjoyed reading more from The Hunger Games trilogy. Hoping Mockingjay is good!!!
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am aiming for 250 again

1) The Accident - Linwood Barclay
    2) A Winter in China - Douglas Galbraith
    3) The Doomsday Phrophecy - Scott Mariani
    4) From The Heart - Sheila O'Flanagan
    5) Down Under - Bill Bryson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    How on earth can you have read six books by 9.23pm on 2nd January ? :eek:

I'm a very fast reader, with a lot of time on my hands! I have a long train journey on my way back from work, and I am allowed to read at work when it's quiet.

07 - Sarah Zettel - A Vampire Chef Mystery #02 - Let Them Eat Stake
    08 - Miranda Hart - Is It Just Me?
    09 - C.T. Grey - Fifty Sheds of Grey
    10 - Stuart Macfarlane and Linda Macfarlane - Philosophy for Cats
    12 - Amy Lane - Turkey In The Snow
    13 - Betty Ren Wright - The Dollhouse Murders
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Hi all, well last year i think i managed two :o, so i'm gonna aim for an optimistic 10 :)

I'm saving for a kindle paperwhite so hopefully i'l speed up once i've got it.