Suicide...

123457»

Comments

• roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone is reading, and I mean you too, paracetamols are probably amongst the worst solutions. Apparently, the death is excruciating in its agony.
    What I went through for the first 12 months, was real agony, could keep food down, constant stomach cramps with diarrhoea, so always had to stay near to home

In that 12 months I lost around 7 stone in weight, and was white as a ghost
  • Satan SlaveSatan Slave Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    It's a good sign most people do not label folk who commit suicide because life has broken them and other personal problems as 'selfish'..
    That really does show a good understanding of appreciating the seriousness of others depression and mental well being.

Sadly there are still a few who believe suicide is selfish full stop...I really hope it does not take so etching like a suicide in theor family to let them understand more.

It's not like we are all born then say as kids...' we wish to end our lives for no good reason'.

Thanks folks for all your post
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Erm, yeah.

That's one experience.

OTOH, the guy who married my cousin years ago once smashed a wardrobe with a mirror door during a big argument and shoved a huge shard of the broken mirror into his neck to see how my cousin would like the idea of living without him.

People attempt suicide for all sorts of reasons. Some of them are worthy of sympathy or even respect and some are just plain acts of stupidity.
    Assuming it's always the former is fallacious.

Yes that is true...but suicide is a brave thing to carry out still...

And I won't mock those who have taken that path because they could not deal with what life threw at them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly there are still a few who believe suicide is selfish full stop...I really hope it does not take so etching like a suicide in theor family to let them understand more.

Thanks folks for all your post

In my work, if Im talking to a customer about someone who has died, maybe suicide, if they think its selfish, I tell them about my self, and why it happened, this more or less does change there views, they then see it from my side, and how I am now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    What I went through for the first 12 months, was real agony, could keep food down, constant stomach cramps with diarrhoea, so always had to stay near to home

In that 12 months I lost around 7 stone in weight, and was white as a ghost

I hope you are past the worst of it? I really hope you are getting somewhere and are past the stage where you would ever consider something like that again. I was lucky once in that I took an astonishing amount of diazepams and sleeping tablets in the early 1990s but only washed them down with a mouth full of water. Consequently, all I "suffered" was a stomach pumping and a few days supervision in hospital. The lack of water saved me.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Yes that is true...but suicide is a brave thing to carry out still...

And I won't mock those who have taken that path because they could not deal with what life threw at them.

Well, I certainly wouldn't mock anybody who's obviously extremely sensitive in that regard but, suffice to say, if somebody came into this thread and recounted how, say, they'd tried to off themselves because their parents had refused to let them go to a Justin Bieber concert, I'd make a point of avoiding any discussion with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope you are past the worst of it? I really hope you are getting somewhere and are past the stage where you would ever consider something like that again. I was lucky once in that I took an astonishing amount of diazepams and sleeping tablets in the early 1990s but only washed them down with a mouth full of water. Consequently, all I "suffered" was a stomach pumping and a few days supervision in hospital. The lack of water saved me.

Thanks, suicide now in my past, as is my depression, when I appeared in court, was told to see a shrink, which was the start of putting things right

I now have my own place, been in employment for 10 yrs, go away on holiday every year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they'd tried to off themselves because their parents had refused to let them go to a Justin Bieber concert, I'd make a point of avoiding any discussion with them.

If there was a post like this, I would tend to believe it was a troll, and would avoid replying to the post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    Thanks, suicide now in my past, as is my depression, when I appeared in court, was told to see a shrink, which was the start of putting things right

I now have my own place, been in employment for 10 yrs, go away on holiday every year

That's great news. Thank you for sharing. It's not the easiest thing to talk about, but you have done so very honestly, and hopefully someone on here who is depressed will read what you have said and get some help from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's great news. Thank you for sharing. It's not the easiest thing to talk about, but you have done so very honestly, and hopefully someone on here who is depressed will read what you have said and get some help from it.
    When I heard that Stuart Adamson of Big Country took his life, I had an idea of what he was going through, he started to drink, and one day disappeared, only 2 days later he was found dead

The cause of his death, was hanging, I cried that night, but also remembered the good times, fondest memory was at Dunfermline, he spend most of the day talking to us in the park, he was such a nice person to meet
  • BirdyBeeBirdyBee Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It goes against the natural instinct of any animal to end its own life. We all want to survive.

Those who make the decision to die are ill. They may truly believe that their loved ones are better off without them. They may believe that they are doing their best by everyone. That is not selfish. Just a poorly mind.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People attempt suicide for all sorts of reasons. Some of them are worthy of sympathy or even respect and some are just plain acts of stupidity.
    Assuming it's always the former is fallacious.
    I agree with that, actually. But judging (out loud) any particular suicide, or suicide in general, as the latter is cruel. It hurts people who are already hurting. Sometimes you have to make a choice between being kind and being 100% factually correct, I guess.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BirdyBee wrote: »
    It goes against the natural instinct of any animal to end its own life. We all want to survive.

It's also natural to sacrifice your life for your kin. Possibly more natural. Why are we having kids? Naturally, it's not about the individual. It's about the genes.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I first attempted suicide when I was 12 and tried to hang myself. It wasn't about wanting to die. Things were so bad at home and at school that I was just desperate to get away from it and couldn't see any other option.
    There have been many other attempts over the years involving pills and each time it has been about getting away from what I perceive at the time to be an unbearable situation and I'm often in a state of panic when I do it. In retrospect I can see that there are other ways out, especially as the problems I'm trying to escape are usually things like debt collectors or fall outs with friends. But when I'm in that crisis I don't think clearly and the pressures of life just seem unbearable.
    I just don't cope with stressful situations.

I did try to seek help at a&e last time, when I recognised the signs of becoming stressed again and having frequent thoughts of dying. The mental health worker there sent me home because in his opinion, whilst it was likely that I would attempt suicide, he felt sure that my attempt would not be successful so therefore I should be able to get over it. When my friend asked him what he would think if I actually did die from overdose this time, he just replied ''well that would be very sad but I'm not changing my mind about admitting her.'' I did overdose a week later and yes he was right that it didn't kill me, but I was unconscious on the floor of my flat for 24 hrs and it's only luck that kept me alive. I'm feeling a lot better now but dread those feelings coming back again.
    Forum Member
    Well, I certainly wouldn't mock anybody who's obviously extremely sensitive in that regard but, suffice to say, if somebody came into this thread and recounted how, say, they'd tried to off themselves because their parents had refused to let them go to a Justin Bieber concert, I'd make a point of avoiding any discussion with them.

Well Im talking about folk in the deepest and darkest despairs who,commit suicide,not about a bairn throwing a tantrum about a Justin Bieber concert they are not allowed to...
    Live really not heard of a load of people killing themselves for the sake of a Justin Bieber concert!

I've never heard any discuss killing the,selves over a Justin Bieber concert ticket either..and I would tend not to take that seriously if I had have...
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i think many people who commit suicide just want to stop the ride and get off till they feel ok. if there weren`t so much shame surrounding that need to escape and heal there would undoubtedly be far, far less suicides.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Someone killed themselves this morning on the train lines in the Croydon area. Seems to be an increasing occurrence.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think many people who commit suicide just want to stop the ride and get off till they feel ok. if there weren`t so much shame surrounding that need to escape and heal there would undoubtedly be far, far less suicides.

I really agree with this.