stuff on screen at doc`s....

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
can i ask them to remove it or at least make it less prominent or do i have no say?

Comments

• KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    can i ask them to remove it or at least make it less prominent or do i have no say?

Are you talking about your medical file
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean when your name flashes up on a screen with the name of the Dr you're going to see and the room no?. If so that annoys me too!.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no, it`s my notes when i`m in the consultation, two thirds of the screen is taken up by the words "bipolar psychosis" in capital letters, i feel this affects how my given ailment and i are viewed and actively prevents me from going. i`ve got a number of physical concerns that i want addressing without being patronised or made to feel like a hypochondriac and that`s not going to happen while that`s staring the doctor in the face.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its what I think it is, its a pop up that flashes up patients conditions and any health checks that are due and is a useful tool sometimes. Other times its a pain in the arse that's in the way of seeing what you are doing and which can be cancelled during the consultation by them just clicking on the x to get rid.
    Forum Member
    it`s at the top of the page croc, underneath it is my normal notes [dates i`ve been and what for]. it`s like a bloody great sticky. if it IS a pop up, can i get them to stop this?, it`s completely unnecessary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends what system the docs are running as to what it is. On the system I know they can't disable it altogether but should be able to close it easily enough for each consultation so its unobtrusive,.
    Forum Member
    i want it the same size and prominence as al the other information, as it stands now you`d be practically able to view it from the co op down the road in the right light.

do i have a right to insist that it`s displayed thus or would it be a mission?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I say, without knowing which system they're running I can only go by the one I'm familiar with and unfortunately its part of the system that is programmed in and will be like it for every patient whose Doctor uses the system. They won't have the ability to change the size, just to disable it during consultation, but it'll be there again for the next one.
    Forum Member
    i mean do i have the legal right to make them change it permanently croc? i`m guessing not, by your reply:(:(:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know but I wouldn't have thought so. If its your medical condition then it needs to be prominent. Removing it could be akin to me asking for any mention of diabetes to be taken off my records.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Oh you're having the same joy as me. I'm pregnant with bipolar disorder (which has been very well behaved during the pregnancy thankfully) & have had a number of physical problems throughout the pregnancy. I go into the surgery to discuss these & invariably end up spending half of the appointment discussing the bipolar. Despite it being stable & not causing any problems.

I don't think you have any right to have it removed, as it is a given fact that you have the condition & doctors have to work on the facts. Because it's a condition that can degenerate so quickly, they want to make sure that they catch the warning signs early. Not many GPs are particularly well trained at dealing with mental health patients, so it can feel like a grilling or like they're trying to patronise you.

My advice is to ask for the screen to be turned away from you when you first sit down. I've found that directly addressing the issue before they ask ("Is there anything about my bipolar you want to cover today?") tends to relax them a bit - some do struggle to think of ways to bring it up! They are only trying to help you get better. They just occasionally need a bit of a prod in the right direction to help them to give you the care you need. :)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno about your legal rights here, annette, but I would totally make an appt with the most sympathetic, nice doctor in the practice and then tell them precisely how it makes you feel and ask them, woman to (wo)man, if they can do anything about it? It's worth a try. You can legally see your own records now, after all..?

TBH, they should be able to find a more subtle way to flag up anything they feel needs to be known by, say a locum, or a dr who might not know the patient so well, at a consultation. And maybe it isn't relevant, anyway. But either way, if it is distressing you it is counterproductive for your health to see that. I'd address it directly.
    Forum Member
    thank you my lovelies :).

chirpy: it`s not that it distresses me, it`s that if i went with a broken leg they`d try to spin to my bipolar, it`s like that`s all they see, a walking, talking mood disorder :rolleyes:.

it`s good your beeping is behaving, i had pretty stable pregnancies too, and i did ok for post natal beeping too, so your luck may continue:).

hogs: there`s one in the practice whose number i`ve got, as it were, she`ll do.

it`s really not on, one of my friends went to see the doc who wrote it the day after she had some blood tests, he knew she had some registered junkies in her circle [everyone has, it`s a bloody village] and put, in similarly large letters "suspected iv user" what a fvcking cheek!!! she set him straight like, and he removed it, but if she hadn`t have seen it it could have caused all sorts of problems.
  • phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally get what your saying, I requested my medical notes recently and it said in black bold writing 'this patient is on a community treatment order' on the top of every letter.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    When I was in my teens I had epilepsy for several months the. Grew out of it, apparently a lot of teen girls do

It's on the first screen as a primary diagnosis at my docs- I always almost say something but there seems little point. Anorexia nervosa is also on that screen which I have been in remission from for years.
  • SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean when your name flashes up on a screen with the name of the Dr you're going to see and the room no?. If so that annoys me too!.
    sorry that annoys you but please understand it's there for accessibility reasons. Deaf people and those who find spoken English hard to understand rely on the visual call to their appointment. They would miss someone saying their name.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got a P.A.L.S service in your area that you could ask for some advice from?
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know where your coming from AK
    I was at an appointment with the practice nurse yesterday for my diabetic review, and what popped up on the screen.....my erectile dysfunction details :o
    She asked how I was getting on with the problem.....I felt like saying get on the couch and we'll find out..:D
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sammmymack wrote: »
    sorry that annoys you but please understand it's there for accessibility reasons. Deaf people and those who find spoken English hard to understand rely on the visual call to their appointment. They would miss someone saying their name.

Sorry but if you had read the thread you would know that she is not complaint about that!
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    Sorry but if you had read the thread you would know that she is not complaint about that!

They are quite clearly replying to someone who does mean that though so what's your point?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    thank you my lovelies :).

chirpy: it`s not that it distresses me, it`s that if i went with a broken leg they`d try to spin to my bipolar, it`s like that`s all they see, a walking, talking mood disorder :rolleyes:.

it`s good your beeping is behaving, i had pretty stable pregnancies too, and i did ok for post natal beeping too, so your luck may continue:).

hogs: there`s one in the practice whose number i`ve got, as it were, she`ll do.

it`s really not on, one of my friends went to see the doc who wrote it the day after she had some blood tests, he knew she had some registered junkies in her circle [everyone has, it`s a bloody village] and put, in similarly large letters "suspected iv user" what a fvcking cheek!!! she set him straight like, and he removed it, but if she hadn`t have seen it it could have caused all sorts of problems.

Thanks - I know what that's like. My maternity notes are all wrong because all anyone can focus on is my bipolar. I'm having to go to the hospital to get them fixed next week!! I hope you get this sorted. :)