Options

96.2 Touch FM (Coventry) What's going on??

13»

Comments

• Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    But is there enough audience to go niche?

What's niche about men?
  • Options
    djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simck wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the male voice going the station imaging?

Mark Chadwick. Known for Bauer, Galaxy etc.
  • Options
    WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    But is there enough audience to go niche?
    Would you still say it was niche if they'd also named the station Jack FM?

And would you say that existing stations operating under said name with a similar format are also niche, based on the RAJAR results?
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack is quite a strong brand name though. Touch is not. If you're going to switch formats the name plays a part.

Star FM and The Revolution (pre-Penk) are good examples of local radio stations going off the rails with the intention of serving a particular section of audience. Both failed.
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're going to the expense of changing all the branding, you may as well change the name.

1. Touch isn't the right brand for this sort of station.
    2. As a group there is something odd operating two different formats, under nearly the same name.
    3. You need to change, to let the audience know it's something new and different.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Would they have done this if Kerrang 105.2 was still on air?
  • Options
    JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingethink wrote: »
    What's niche about men?
    But not all men want rock music...Wheatus, AC/DC, etc. would have many tuning straight out (well, me for a start ;-) )...
  • Options
    mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just discovered one negative aspect of the station this morning... 'New' breakfast show (Ollie and Simon) very good but they are on the Touch 102FM frequency at the same time (taking about different subjects)

Thing is out of the 2 shows which one is 'live' ??? To me 96.2 could just share their breakfast slot with Oak very bizarre
  • Options
    commsengcommseng Posts: 5,567
    Forum Member
    mw1 wrote: »
    Just discovered one negative aspect of the station this morning... 'New' breakfast show (Ollie and Simon) very good but they are on the Touch 102FM frequency at the same time (taking about different subjects)

Thing is out of the 2 shows which one is 'live' ??? To me 96.2 could just share their breakfast slot with Oak very bizarre

Does it matter? If you are listening to 96.2, you aren't listening to 102MHz.
    If the listeners to both get a lively and relevant programme, the trickery behind that is irrelevant.

This is a small group who I assume are using all the technology that they can to keep costs down. I haven't heard the stations, but assume that you wouldn't have discovered this without tuning around?
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But not all men want rock music...Wheatus, AC/DC, etc. would have many tuning straight out (well, me for a start ;-) )...

And not all women like Heart's bland dancing-round-yer-handbag guff either. It doesn't stop it being a success.

Broadcasting is necessarily a broad brush approach.
  • Options
    ex piratex pirat Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mw1 wrote: »

Well it sounds better than our local community station playing automation all day
    Look forward to the new toutch in stafordshire soon.
  • Options
    HangthedeejayHangthedeejay Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Just been having a look at what the 'New Oak Fm' have been playing and it shows signs of a very narrow playlist.

Tom Petty - Learning to Fly
    Monday 13.31
    Today 01.23

The Verve - Sonnet
    Monday 13.52
    Today 01.52

Tears For Fears - Evrybdy Rules the World
    Monday 13.03
    Tuesday 09.04