Options

Exposure , who's driving on britains roads ITV

HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is more shocking than the benefits cap earlier . The amount of foreigners getting driving licences illegally is frightening . They can't drive , cannot speak English , but driving on our roads , often with no insurance . They even had one Chinese guy cheating on behalf of others so they can drive buses and lorries .

Comments

• Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should NOT let anyone go for a test if they cannot speak English.

And I thought bluetooth only worked up to about 30 feet?
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP has announced plans to take over call centres in the UK.

"Good morning , you're through to the United Kingdom.
    Press 1 if you speak English,
    or press 2 to be disconnected until you f***ing well can!"
  • Options
    nellieknelliek Posts: 10,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did my ears deceive me or did the voice-over say that the DVLA issue TEN MILLION driving licences a year?
    If the population of the UK is about 65 million am I the only one to think that ten million licences is out of proportion? Or is in in proportion now that photographic licences have to be renewed every ten years? As I've still got my paper licence I forget about the photo ones having to be renewed.

And just as important as speaking English is being able to read it. How can people know where they're going if they can't read the road signs? :confused:
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nelliek wrote: »
    Did my ears deceive me or did the voice-over say that the DVLA issue TEN MILLION driving licences a year?
    If the population of the UK is about 65 million am I the only one to think that ten million licences is out of proportion? Or is in in proportion now that photographic licences have to be renewed every ten years? As I've still got my paper licence I forget about the photo ones having to be renewed.

And just as important as speaking English is being able to read it. How can people know where they're going if they can't read the road signs? :confused:

Yes, I picked up on the 10 million licences a year !. Even with renewals it is way out of proportion . It is obvious most of them are being issued to use as fraud ID . Plus the money these people are making for sitting he test for someone that does not speak English are cannot even drive was a huge incentive . No surprise then , that when they get caught , they do it again 2 months later !. As usual , n soft touch Britain , the punishment is laughable , but these dangerous drivers on the road is not.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the BEEB, last year:

Blah blah getting rid of translation services for driving test blah blah.

The reasons given are:

Road safety - to ensure drivers understand road signs and other advice to drivers
    Social cohesion - to encourage integration in society by learning the language
    Reduce fraud - to address issue of interpreters helping with theory test answers
    Reduce costs - to generate a small saving from not having to annually update voiceovers
    The government says its preferred option is to remove all foreign language voiceovers and interpreters from both parts of the driving test, but it is also consulting on doing nothing or removing support from one or other parts of the test.:
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will not come as any revelation to anyone who has driven for longer than 20 minutes in any large town or city in the UK.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nelliek wrote: »
    So you have never driven abroad?
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »

That is a very good point. I found myself agreeing with the previous post on how can they read the road signs if they don't understand English. But of course most of us have been abroad and managed to get around without issue. As long as you can read a map or at least denote the letters or symbols for the place names you can get around.

I do think that actually applying for a driving test within a given country you should be able to understand the language to a degree enough to pass the test. The issue is wider than just finding your way around but the legal aspect of driving, insurance, laws etc.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »

that's not quite the same thing is it, people driving abroad have a valid license and are insured people getting illegal licenses and no insurance is a completely different matter
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,074
    Forum Member
    Yes, I picked up on the 10 million licences a year !. Even with renewals it is way out of proportion . It is obvious most of them are being issued to use as fraud ID . Plus the money these people are making for sitting he test for someone that does not speak English are cannot even drive was a huge incentive . No surprise then , that when they get caught , they do it again 2 months later !. As usual , n soft touch Britain , the punishment is laughable , but these dangerous drivers on the road is not.

A previous documentary revealed that Hong Kong-issue driving licences can be transferred to full English Licences without the need to take a test - and that Hong Kong licences were pretty easy to obtain!