Recommend a good aftershave.

Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
Forum Member
✭✭
I never used to wear aftershave after shaving. I have recently started shaving with a double-edged razor. I have bought a M&S aftershave that is supposed to be quite nice, and it's not too bad. It's light I think.
I used to have one years ago called Addiction Fire, so anything along those lines would be welcome.
I would like a decent aftershave, but not expensive. I'd rather not go over £15 or so.
I also don't really want one that has like 50ml in it, and no funky bottles as they're just marketing gimmicks.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,999
    Forum Member
    My brother always smells great (if I can say that without sounding weird) and he gets his aftershave from Next. Can't recommend any specific ones but you should probably head there and give them a sniff. They're within your budget too.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Perfume and aftershave are the one thing that is worth spending a bit of money on. Cheap scent has cheap ingredients which leads to a cheap smell.
    Save up a bit and get Terre D'Hermes.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nivea have a nice cheap aftershave range. It's nice and fresh, without being too strong and offensive so it won't clash with your cologne/man perfume.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    get yourself down the 99p shop. the have a selection
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    Perfume and aftershave are the one thing that is worth spending a bit of money on. Cheap scent has cheap ingredients which leads to a cheap smell.
    Couldn't agree more.

Try Chanel Bleu; it turns the average man into something far more superior! :D:blush:
    Forum Member

The man's on a budget and you're recommending aftershave at £31 for 50ml.

However, back in the real world, whilst I agree the really cheap stuff like Brut should be avoided there's still decent enough smelling stuff to be found. I thought of another one I love from The Body Shop that an ex of mine used, Arber. £15 for 100ml.

As it happens my other half strongly dislikes "cheap" smelling stuff and his favourite perfume that I wear is also from The Body Shop. White Musk Libertine.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried a lot of different aftershave, some expensive and others cheaper but the only one I have had positive comments after positive comments is CK One Shock. It is on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shock-Calvin-Klein-Toilette-Spray/dp/B005I4TJLO and that is for the 200ml and is £23 (I think it is £36 or something in shops. Lasts me a year of near daily use and I get the stick deo which is £10 of the same scent which lasts for 3 months.

PJ
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »

However, back in the real world, whilst I agree the really cheap stuff like Brut should be avoided there's still decent enough smelling stuff to be found. I thought of another one I love from The Body Shop that an ex of mine used, Arber. £15 for 100ml.

As it happens my other half strongly dislikes "cheap" smelling stuff and his favourite perfume that I wear is also from The Body Shop. White Musk Libertine.

I have heard of Arber and another person recommended that on another forum I belong to.
    Thanks.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »

Yes, go without for three months and save a tenner a month. Because it is quality, it will last far longer than the cheaper stuff and you don't need to use as much. I agree about Chanel blu as well, a stunning aftershave and a real head turner.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people call the male versions of perfume 'after shave'. This is just the British way of saying cologne. Some posters are confused. I use 'post shave balm' or 'after shave balm' as these include the alcohol and fragrance, as well as soothing and moisturising properties. They kill bacteria and reduce redness. I also moisturise afterwards with women's stuff. The normal liquid after shave, like Brut or Old Spice etc are the bottles that only pour out, these aren't useful for keeping skin moist and nice. I use after shave (cologne) on my arms and clothes, I have loads, liking Invictus at the moment.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll second all of that.

Cheap aftershave is about as flattering on a man as a cheap, shiny suit.

Terre d'Hermes makes me go weak at the knees, even the it's on a man uglier than Bernie Ecclestone.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always loved Versace Blue Jeans ever since I was at school!! I have a bottle but haven't used it for ages...love the smeel though. Favourite at the moment and has been for a while is Pacco Rabanne Ultraviolet...I love, love, love this!! Always get so many compliments on the smell too. Pacco Rabanne Million is another one that I love and get loads of compliments. Someone recently bought me Izzy Miyake which I had never bothered with before, but I actually really like it. Go into somewhere like Boots or the Perfume Shop and just test out loads of different ones and then have a look online for the one you want at a cheaper price. A really incredible cheap one is one that Zara do!! I think it's called "Zara Uno". I absolutely love the smell and it's only £7. I don't use it anymore though as I used to always wear it on nights out and now whenever I smell it I just think of being hungover and it makes me feel sick!!!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, I went through an Issy Miyake phase a few years ago.
    I actually can't stand the smell of it now though....far too spicy and full-on.
    As a general rule of thumb, I tend to stay clear now of any woody and spicy fragrances as they can be really overpowering and offensive.
    Fresh, clean fragrances all the way for me, so I'd recommend Lacoste (in the white bottle) as it smells gorgeous and reminds me of freshly laundered clothes (who doesn't like that smell?!).
    Lacoste Essential Sport is lush too as it is the closest I've come to discovering an actual male perfume that is "high-pitched" like a female one.....lots of citrus top notes which give it a real "summer nights" feel.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zara has good women's fragrances. Perhaps check out the men's range? Master Ozzy has recommended one already but there will be more.
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Ooh, I went through an Issy Miyake phase a few years ago.
    I actually can't stand the smell of it now though....far too spicy and full-on.
    As a general rule of thumb, I tend to stay clear now of any woody and spicy fragrances as they can be really overpowering and offensive.
    Fresh, clean fragrances all the way for me, so I'd recommend Lacoste (in the white bottle) as it smells gorgeous and reminds me of freshly laundered clothes (who doesn't like that smell?!).
    Lacoste Essential Sport is lush too as it is the closest I've come to discovering an actual male perfume that is "high-pitched" like a female one.....lots of citrus top notes which give it a real "summer nights" feel.

Me. Sorry. I know it's "clean" and everything but it's not what an aftershave should smell like and if someone goes overboard on the "Comfort" fabric conditioner the smell is truly awful and will overpower a room. Not that I think that's what you mean. Anyway, I suppose it's all about personal preference. Checking out Zara is a very good tip, I never realised they did fragrance. I must check it out.
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that some aftershaves seem to fade very quickly once applied; apparently it's something to do with the oils in your skin reacting to the chemicals in the aftershave.

In terms of scents I quite like M&S Autograph Sport, but I find it fades quite quickly on me. Diesel Only the Brave, Davidoff Hot Water and Invictus are my current favourites....... As it's just after Father's Day you might manage to snag a bargain (albeit slightly above your budget but not massively so)