Hollyoaks: Wasn't Texas Dodger's first true love?

Tweety PieTweety Pie Posts: 1,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A small thing but this really bugged me on Friday's E4 episode. Dodger told Maxine that she is his first true love. What about Texas? Rubbish continuity there and also this whole business of Dodger being Nico's dad is ridiculous too.

Comments

• lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Tweety Pie wrote: »
    A small thing but this really bugged me on Friday's E4 episode. Dodger told Maxine that she is his first true love. What about Texas? Rubbish continuity there and also this whole business of Dodger being Nico's dad is ridiculous too.

I agree. Surely they could have found a better way of getting it in? Even a bit of a joke about him being such a ladies' man might have prompted a discussion.

Dodger being Nico's dad...purely done for the shock factor and because they don't have to bother with character exploration. The only plus-side is that it redeems Patrick slightly, even if it taints Dodger and Sienna.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, she was. I was just rolling my eyes over the scenes with the new backstory and rewritten history of Dodger and Sienna.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point of his story is that Sienna and Dodger had an attraction to each other when they met as they were related but didn't know it & they both assumed it was a sexual attraction. There have been reports of this in real life in situations like that, not always sexual but the person feels familiar to them.

He was telling Maxine of his history of his girlfriends as she asked, Sienna stood out to him because there was something 'there' which was actually a genetic link.

Doesn't deflect anything from Texas since he only met Sienna once and was with Texas in a relationship.
    Forum Member
    Yes, I think when people talk about their 'first loves', they often mean the person who they first became infatuated with/first had a crush on; not necessarily someone they love on a deeper level.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    The point of his story is that Sienna and Dodger had an attraction to each other when they met as they were related but didn't know it & they both assumed it was a sexual attraction. There have been reports of this in real life in situations like that, not always sexual but the person feels familiar to them.

He was telling Maxine of his history of his girlfriends as she asked, Sienna stood out to him because there was something 'there' which was actually a genetic link.

Doesn't deflect anything from Texas since he only met Sienna once and was with Texas in a relationship.
    Read the thread (rolleyes)
  • Tweety PieTweety Pie Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I meant he told Maxine that SHE is his first love. I didn't mean Sienna was his first love. Texas was meant to be the one he truly fell for but this seems to have been forgotten.
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we're supposed to remember ex Hollyoaksters. Shhh they might hear you:o :D
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Texas who?

There was never any Texas.

Oh that one who fell out of a window oh well that was over a year ago no one who watches hollyoaks can remember that far back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Texas was, of course, Dodger's first love.

But not unlike how Ste never mentions Brendan, Carmel never mentions Jim, Mercedes and Mal, JP and Craig, Tony and Jacqui, viewers are no longer supposed to remember character's histories beyond two weeks prior.

The show has got into this dreadful habit of trying to make the current romance/agenda they're pushing the only one that matters at the expense of continuity or character's established histories. The line is absolutely laughable considering that his relationship with Texas defined Dodger's first two years on the show. She was a dreadful actress and they weren't a great couple BUT they did have a fanbase and they were in love. That is fact. To say that Maxine is his first true love is stupid at best, and at worst - insulting.

It's not different to Tony pledging his love to Diane last year, with the show going as far to engineer that AWFUL childhood meeting between them to make them seem 'better' or more 'in love' than any other pairing when mere months prior, he was in love with Jacqui - something we saw develop onscreen over years.
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Why can't a character just move on and have a relationship without it being shoved down our throats as true love? All these relationships have ended abysmally. You'd never have thought Tony and Diane were long lost sweethearts!
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,210
    Forum Member
    Nope dodger has no past at all. It changes every week anyway. He might be the most rewritten character ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pfft, everything else is being rewritten so why not go for the whole shebang!
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    The Texas thing really annoys me. If they're instantly going to trash it the second she leaves, why bother building it up as some big thing in the first place? I was really invested in their relationship and find him going on about Maxine being his one true love laughable. They never actually spent much time together at all, not to mention the Patrick factor. I though Dodger and Texas were a great couple, although he did treat her poorly at times. I could deal with the silliness of Dodger sleeping with Sandy as some fling to try and help him through his grief. Surely no one in real life would ever come out with this Romeo and Juliet rubbish with Maxine so quickly after Texas.
  • nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad someone mentioned it..because the moment he said I've never felt like this...I thought Texas. He was also prepared to leave his family for her. At the very least I gel the line could have been that he never thought he'd feel this way again after Texas. Considering Maxine knew her too! And they were on-off for 2 years and best friends even when off. He had a one night stand with maxine and little interaction since. The amount of things he confided to Texas and we've nothing between these two; it is laughable! And I can't get over the fact that it appears the two believe Patrick should stay away, they live happily ever after because he abused her. Patrick was wrong and would probably be a terrible father, but he still is the baby's father and it still is adultery. How she'd jump into a relationship with her abusers son so quickly I don't know?!
    Forum Member
    srhgts wrote: »
    The Texas thing really annoys me. If they're instantly going to trash it the second she leaves, why bother building it up as some big thing in the first place? I was really invested in their relationship and find him going on about Maxine being his one true love laughable. They never actually spent much time together at all, not to mention the Patrick factor. I though Dodger and Texas were a great couple, although he did treat her poorly at times. I could deal with the silliness of Dodger sleeping with Sandy as some fling to try and help him through his grief. Surely no one in real life would ever come out with this Romeo and Juliet rubbish with Maxine so quickly after Texas.

I thought Dodger and Texas were believable. They were the eternal on/off couple, who had strong feelings for each other but could never actually be together because they had little similarity. Similar to Anna/Miles in This Life; an actual long-term relationship would never have worked. I think Dodger and Texas were quite identifiable as people whose passion couldn't translate into a relationship.

I don't buy into Maxine and Dodger at all. She had the fling but didn't seem particularly invested in that; she seemed to have stronger feelings towards Patrick. I missed a few episodes so I don't know why Maxine and Dodger ever got together at all, apart from the whole 'It's Dodger' thing. I think it's a little seedy that Maxine has shacked up with her husband's son. It would have been better if she raised the baby on her own, with emotional support from Dennis and Blessing. I felt that Dennis cared a lot more about her than Dodger.
    Forum Member
    And I can't get over the fact that it appears the two believe Patrick should stay away, they live happily ever after because he abused her. Patrick was wrong and would probably be a terrible father, but he still is the baby's father and it still is adultery. How she'd jump into a relationship with her abusers son so quickly I don't know?!

I think it's crazy she'd shack up with Dodger, as she's repeatedly shown that she doesn't trust him and he's shown that he doesn't trust her, even though neither of them have a particularly strong reason not to trust each other. Patrick gaslighted Maxine and he thought that Maxine had drugged him, so there's every reason for them not to trust each other.

I would like to see Patrick actually confront his abuse issues or have Maxine encourage him to sort them. She knows about Anna and Sienna so hopefully once things have cooled down, she might get him to get help.

I can see why she might not want him near the baby seeing as he treats it as if the baby is going to be a freak but she doesn't know about Patrick hitting Sienna so she might think the abuse is limited to her. Does she even know that he hit and maybe drugged Anna? Maxine might just think it's an issue he has with her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad someone mentioned it..because the moment he said I've never felt like this...I thought Texas. He was also prepared to leave his family for her. At the very least I gel the line could have been that he never thought he'd feel this way again after Texas.

That is exactly what I thought he was going to say: 'I haven't felt this way since Texas' Instead we got 'I haven't felt like this before'

It's silly that they think we forget about past going ons and relationships. I actually really liked Texas and Dodger together and thought they had the chemistry. Maxine and Dodger is not as believable and it all seems to have been created to get this Sienna obsession with Dodger going.
    Forum Member
    Tweety Pie wrote: »
    Maxine and Dodger is not as believable and it all seems to have been created to get this Sienna obsession with Dodger going.

I agree. There was never a vibe between them apart from the obvious twin bond. Just because both of them were good-looking, people thought there'd be a repeat of Nat and Georgia, which was certainly more likely than the chance encounter conveniently forgotten by Sienna. However after putting Dodger with Maxine and knowing that Dodger was a popular character, they probably didn't want to go down that route because of the moral outrage that the Brookside storyline got. So they got around it by making it accidental, therefore not so bad; in the way that if I accidentally ran someone over, I've still killed them but it's better than if I drove the car at them. Dodger and Sienna still committed incest even if they didn't realise, as well as the already dubious decision to have casual underage sex.

I still don't buy Sienna's obsession with Dodger as her subconsciously knowing that he's the father. She wasn't 'obsessed' with him until recently and even then, it was basically an incestuous version of her persuing Darren.

I think that the large group of people who still believe they're going to twist it so that it's Patrick are misguided, even if they simply further back up the idea that the storyline isn't believable or dark enough for them. The whole point of making it Dodger was so they'd avoid having to make it Patrick and thus raising moral issues. Here, they can have the scandal without needing to look too deeply into it.

I've rewatched old episodes and there's no definite confirmation that there was any sexual abuse, even though they clearly have an unhealthily close relationship and we know that there was certainly mental abuse. At the time they could have simply been talking about the secret baby, until the makers realised that this simply wasn't dark enough and so they'd have to go one better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I don't like the twist in this storyline, but I would at least like it to be understandable/believable. They have rewritten the past and there is so much to it that is questionable. And the thing about 'first love' annoyed me too. Surely the writers are not that stupid they've forgotten Texas already?

I have a question slightly off topic... how is nico living with sienna? There has been no mention of her adopted mum or anybody questioning how she is suddenly living with her? Surely she is not legally responsible for her?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Texarse! Loved the way Lynsey said her name.
    Forum Member
    VM123 wrote: »
    I have a question slightly off topic... how is nico living with sienna? There has been no mention of her adopted mum or anybody questioning how she is suddenly living with her? Surely she is not legally responsible for her?

Maybe Patrick bought Nico off the woman, or convinced her to let Nico stay with him. As far as she knows, Patrick is a really great chap and I don't think the adoptive mother knows Sienna's mad.

I'm sure Sienna wouldn't be able to get custody, though Patrick might.

But then we've had so many people living with the Osbornes who aren't actually relations that I suppose we just have to go along with this one.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what bothers me about rewriting the past. The past gives a character some depth. It is like every few months there is a complete reboot of a character which makes them appear vacuous and shallow in the extreme.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Isn't anybody at all disgusted that he is meant to be in love with his unborn brother's mother?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VM123 wrote: »

Your guess is as good as mine. First they started Nico out that she was adopted by a police family which is why Patrick had photos of her as a young child. Then that other woman had her and Nico's name was Caroline and now Nico's given the impression that she grew up in a care home so I literally have no idea how Sienna now has her living with her given her past history with no questions asked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't anybody at all disgusted that he is meant to be in love with his unborn brother's mother?

It's his unborn sister's mother not brother and in answer to your question no, nobody seems bothered even though it's obviously weird.