Options

The Future of BBC Scotland

Comments

• Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I am just hoping the BBC channels will still be available on Freesat (even if I have to use a non-Scottish postcode). I can imagine many more preferring to watch rBBC (REAL BBC) so there could be an effect on the viewing figures for the Salmond Broadcasting Corporation which could be significant if they go partially commercial to try and boost their income.

Radio is going to more of a problem, I can see me relying on CDs more in the car than now.

Let's hope people see sense and don't believe Salmond's lies and half-truths.

Let's hope people see sense and don't believe Salmond's lies and half-truths. I couldn't agree more
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I wonder how much the BBC is spending on setting up a separate results programme on Thursday night for viewers outside Scotland (hosted by a Welshman I note) rather than taking the BBC Scotland coverage (hosted by a Scotsman) ?
    If there is a separate programme (I don't have access to the schedules), then maybe they are being sensible and pitching the rUK programme from an rUK perspective, whilst the BBC Scotland programme will be purely from a Scottish perspective?

Or perhaps that was the plan all along, and it was BBC Scotland who decided to go their own way? This would tie in with the fact that Sarah Smith is on the main BBC programme providing expert commentary - she has been one of the main presenters on specific BBC Scotland programmes since she came in from Channel 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/sarah-smith

I don't know, do you?
  • Options
    Brenda McQueenBrenda McQueen Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I see the word is out that Scottie McClue is widely tipped to be the first Director-General of the new SBC following Scottish independence.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I see the word is out that Scottie McClue is widely tipped to be the first Director-General of the new SBC following Scottish independence.

Hey scottie, i used to love your show on scot fm, ham snanks and idiots farting down the phone.:D
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    If there is a separate programme (I don't have access to the schedules), then maybe they are being sensible and pitching the rUK programme from an rUK perspective, whilst the BBC Scotland programme will be purely from a Scottish perspective?

Or perhaps that was the plan all along, and it was BBC Scotland who decided to go their own way? This would tie in with the fact that Sarah Smith is on the main BBC programme providing expert commentary - she has been one of the main presenters on specific BBC Scotland programmes since she came in from Channel 4

I don't know, do you?

According to the BBC web site there are two separate programmes:

In Scotland presented by Glenn Campbell, Brian Taylor and Jackie Bird

In the rest of the UK: Huw Edwards, Sarah Smith, Nick Robinson, Jeremy Vine, Andrew Marr and Andrew Neil.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see tomorrow night's debate on BBC1 Scotland is not deemed sufficiently important to be networked, it's only being shown in Scotland with no repeat in the rest of the UK.

I wonder how much the BBC is spending on setting up a separate results programme on Thursday night for viewers outside Scotland (hosted by a Welshman I note) rather than taking the BBC Scotland coverage (hosted by a Scotsman) ?

A bit of sense in not inflicting on the rest of the UK, any sad people who want to watch can see it online.

I presume BBC Scotland are doing their own results programme, rather than take the network one, because they will not expect to have to explain things as much to an audience already familiar with Scottish politics. I won't be watching any of them.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know, do you?

BBC Scotland often do their own results programme during other elections.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    BBC Scotland often do their own results programme during other elections.

Yes, so in truth, it's nothing too different.
  • Options
    Callum_Preciou2Callum_Preciou2 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    May I have your attention please. In 5 days time, this thread will closed at 10.35pm on Thursday 18th September as 'Scotland Decides: The Result' started next week on BBC One. Make sure that you will keep an eye on the results of the Scottish Referendum. Good luck guys :)
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    May I have your attention please. In 5 days time, this thread will closed at 10.35pm on Thursday 18th September as 'Scotland Decides: The Result' started next week on BBC One. Make sure that you will keep an eye on the results of the Scottish Referendum. Good luck guys :)

I can tell that English is not your first language.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    If you got sky you can get BBC Scotland on 977.And HD on 951

All the other debates on BBC1 Scotland were networked later in the evening but not this one strangely.I presume it is on the BBC News channel.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why does this thread get closed? This thread is about 'the future of BBC Scotland' not 'the future of Scotland'
  • Options
    Brenda McQueenBrenda McQueen Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Why does this thread get closed? This thread is about 'the future of BBC Scotland' not 'the future of Scotland'
    If Independence comes to Scotland and Scottie McClue IS appointed Director-General of SBC there will probably be quite a shake-up in Scottish broadcasting.
    Here he talks about iit.

https://soundcloud.com/fubarradio/scottiemcclue/recommended
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Independence comes to Scotland and Scottie McClue IS appointed Director-General of SBC there will probably be quite a shake-up in Scottish broadcasting.
    Here he talks about iit.

https://soundcloud.com/fubarradio/scottiemcclue/recommended

Oh I know that but my point is why cant this thread stay open for us to discuss the subject further after the vote and the vote results on Thursday and Friday?

Also BBC Scotland will carry on for at least another year even if Scotland votes yes!

I wonder if there would be negotiations with the BBC to transfer the whole BBC Scotland set-up, for a price, to the future SBC.

So the playout facilities for BBC 1 Scotland and BBC 2 Scotland (which are in Scotland and just ether link to a RedBee feed or time shift programs off of the RedBee feed or play out their own programs) and the feeds (and Coding and MUXing) to the Transmitters in Scotland (excluding the other BBC channels of course unless there is a deal to keep them).

On Virgin the BBC would stop supplying their channels (unless Virgin paid) and would start taking the new SBC channels.

On Dsat I wonder how quick SBC could get anything up there? they couldnt use the BBC's TPs, unless they paid the BBC for the privilege, I guess they would rent new space fast.

I just wonder how and how quick it would all pan out?
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is going to stay open. Why would a comment from a fellow FM make you think otherwise?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is going to stay open. Why would a comment from a fellow FM make you think otherwise?

Well its not so much that as to why he said it!
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    I believe the deadline for postal votes has now closed, so there is little point showing a live debate to people who cannot vote in it.

No one in Ruk can do anything about this.
    Nothing happens for us from now until the votes are counted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I believe the deadline for postal votes has now closed, so there is little point showing a live debate to people who cannot vote in it.

No one in Ruk can do anything about this.
    Nothing happens for us from now until the votes are counted.

The postal votes were for people who have an address in Scotland; Scots who do not and live elsewhere have never had a vote but the BBC thought it necessary to show the programmes in the rest of the UK to people who - as you say - have no vote.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    I see tomorrow night's debate on BBC1 Scotland is not deemed sufficiently important to be networked, it's only being shown in Scotland with no repeat in the rest of the UK.
    To be fair, BBC Scotland is available on satellite and cable so some can watch it if they wish.
    Which sounds like a "good idea" to me.
    I don't know, do you?
    Of course not but lack of facts never stop some people :D
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally they can have a 24 hour hogmanay channel for all I care. Anyone know any good wall builders?

DIY SOS the big build.:D
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgbgt wrote: »
    I don't know what the 'going rate' is - I'd genuinely be interested in some figures because, as I have just stated, I want clear information from BOTH sides. The BBCs own figures state that Scotland currently pays well over £300million in licence fees per annum, while its budget for BBC Scotland is around £100million, due to fall to £86million in just over 2 years time. I guess that spare £200million could buy a few programmes to broadcast. :)

Not as many as you might think. £300 Million is barely even a drop in the ocean of the £3.7 BILLION in total revenue.

You could be looking at a doubling of the licence fee....

Independent Scotland 'faces doubling of BBC licence fee'

BBC licence ‘could double for independent Scotland’
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Scotland does go Independent the anti TVL people in Scotland will have a dilemma, they cant call it a BBC Licence anymore...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Scotland does go Independent the anti TVL people in Scotland will have a dilemma, they cant call it a BBC Licence anymore...

It's actually a licence to receive any television programmes not just the BBC but the vast majority of the money does indeed go to the BBC. If you read the small print it doesn't actually mention the BBC anywhere. Some of the revenue goes to S4C via the BBC for instance. You don't, of course, need a separate radio licence any more.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can tell that English is not your first language.

I believe he has been given the task of designing the SBS idents.:D
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westminster have been raiding the licence fee for a lot lately. S4C, World Service, Digital Switchover Help Scheme, Local TV and broadband roll-out.

The TV content market is a sellers market thanks to exclusivity. The amount an episode of New Tricks or Death in Paradise will cost the SBS will depend on the players in the market and how much they are willing to pay this may include the likes of Netflix Scotland, Amazon Prime Scotland, Sky Scotland, STV, Virgin Media Scotland, Channel 4 Scotland, Five Scotland, BBC Entertainment, ITV Entertainment . BBC and ITV used to be full of US shows now they along with the other free to air terrestrials can only pick up a few of them each, it could be the same for BBC shows on SBS. The cost base of a seperate SBS is bound to eat into a lot of that £200 million budget along with a regulatory need to make more Scottish productions. There may be £75M-100M left over for acquisitions. There's no point spending loads of money on all those home grown productions if relatively few people get to see it (A high rating for an SBS1 drama costing £700, 000 for an episode (mid cost), 400, 000 maybe) so you're going to have to repeat the hell out of it to justify the expense.