Options

Thank you, Sir John Major

ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
Forum Member
✭✭
1996, Atlanta. Remember the ecstasy when Steve Redgrave and Matthew Pinsent won Team GB's solitary gold medal with the coxless pair?

One gold medal, eight silver, six bronze. Those athletes did us proud with the limited funding available.

But the Prime Minister of that time had a vision. Sports success, created by way of funds produced from a National Lottery.

16 years later, we see the result.

I never once voted for John Major's government and I wouldn't begin to pretend that they were any better than anything that came before or followed afterwards.

But if Tony Blair deserves credit for his part in winning the London bid, then John Major hasn't had enough for creating the foundations upon which the successes of 2012 stand.

There are many things we can knock Major for, but credit where credit is due. The success of Team GB in 2012 ultimately springs from his foresight.

Comments

• Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm often curious when I hear about this lottery funding. I mean, isn't it just effectively public money?

How is it any different from John Major commiting taxed money into funding sports?
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    I'm often curious when I hear about this lottery funding. I mean, isn't it just effectively public money?

How is it any different from John Major commiting taxed money into funding sports?

Because if Joe Public doesn't buy any Lottery tickets there isn't any money to finance it with. Yes the Government could raise a tax to be used to pay for sports and the arts and, indeed, part of current funding is already used for that.
    The National Lottery taps into the private finances of the public to raise additional cash and, because there is the element of a potential reward, people tend to hand their cash over a lot easier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the spectacle of the Olympics but would trade every one of GBR's gold medals if every town and neighbourhood could have a sports hall so that people of all ages could enjoy physical activities. I think it's shameful that so much lottery money has gone into elite sport at the expense of the people that actually bought the lottery tickets.

So many of Britain's medals have come from VERY expensive systems rather than from individual endeavors.
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Because if Joe Public doesn't buy any Lottery tickets there isn't any money to finance it with. Yes the Government could raise a tax to be used to pay for sports and the arts and, indeed, part of current funding is already used for that.
    The National Lottery taps into the private finances of the public to raise additional cash and, because there is the element of a potential reward, people tend to hand their cash over a lot easier.

Indeed - folks are providing the money voluntarily. Interesting statistic is that the bulk of the money from lottery comes from below median earners. Personally I do think that the Govt needs to be more creative in getting cash from the high earners who are actively involved in tax avoidance. Tax breaks for cash donated into UK Sports/Arts rather than it being squirreled outside of UK. It would be a great outcome if base taxes didn't have to fund Sport/Arts/Film.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Hook line and sinker, YOU the public buy the tickets to now fund sport which enables government to shirk it's responsibilities and while you're paying for it they are flogging off the school playing fields raking in cash.

I'd agree on the praise for Major if the playing fields were left alone but they're not and his administration sold of thousands.

'The government has sold two school playing fields every three months since 2010 – making a mockery of its pledge to secure an Olympic legacy for children.

Education Minister Michael Gove has rubber-stamped the sale of 21 pitches since coming to power, despite election promises to protect them.

Under the last Tory government around 10,000 school sports areas were sold, while 200 were lost during Labour’s 13 years in power'.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/london-2012-legacy-mo-farah-1234952
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Well I guess because it was a new source of money (the punters) rather than having to divert existing funds.
    Cadiva wrote: »

Well effectively Its still public money, as shown by the government's power over how it should be spent. Honestly don't get why they don't just lump in together with general public expenditure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree on the praise for Major if the playing fields were left alone but they're not and his administration sold of thousands.

'The government has sold two school playing fields every three months since 2010 – making a mockery of its pledge to secure an Olympic legacy for children.

Education Minister Michael Gove has rubber-stamped the sale of 21 pitches since coming to power, despite election promises to protect them.

Under the last Tory government around 10,000 school sports areas were sold, while 200 were lost during Labour’s 13 years in power'.

Indeed, and folk duo Show of Hands wrote a fabulous song about them selling off the fields back in the 1990s called Cutthroats Crooks and Conmen.
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    Well effectively Its still public money, as shown by the government's power over how it should be spent. Honestly don't get why they don't just lump in together with general public expenditure.

Camelot runs and operates the National Lottery and there are 13 different independent bodies responsible for handing out grants and funding from the money raised by it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duplicate.
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hook line and sinker, YOU the public buy the tickets to now fund sport which enables government to shirk it's responsibilities and while you're paying for it they are flogging off the school playing fields raking in cash.

What responsibility does the government have to fund elite sport. its not the case of any other country i can see but it does provide genuine dividends and the public enjoy the results in those sports that have made good use of their funding settlements.

Personally i think the way the lottery plays out is a credit to the country. It provides funding for sports and the arts and removes *some* of the demands on taxpayers to fund it via government.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    What responsibility does the government have to fund elite sport. its not the case of any other country i can see but it does provide genuine dividends and the public enjoy the results in those sports that have made good use of their funding settlements.

Personally i think the way the lottery plays out is a credit to the country. It provides funding for sports and the arts and removes *some* of the demands on taxpayers to fund it via government.

None now because the responsibility has been put on the public, prior to that it was govt because they assumed it when they decided lottery funding should be used and who get's the praise for it's success - you or govt? and who benefits from playing field sell offs - you or govt?

If they want to show they do care for sport then any money raised from selling off fields should be used to improve sports centers and also make them free for all to use.

After all It was public money that paid for schools and associated playing fields in the first place.
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because it's ALL about the money isn't it....and nothing to do with athletes training or improving over time....

Incidentally the poor showing at Atlanta 1996 had nothing to do with the setting up of the Lottery as it was set up in 1993 and began operating in 1994.

Also sports funding is just one small part of the lottery's good causes output. A worthwhile cause, and one I as a sports fan am enjoying reaping the rewards of, but I find it a tad disappointing that crooks like Richard Desmond can hypocritically tap into the lottery market with emotive issues such as health by exploiting the weaknesses of National Lottery good causes, such as seemingly superfluous projects and initiatives which serve little interest or benefit to the public at large.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should reward himself with some nice peas.

If you never saw Spitting Image you will be using this smiley :confused:

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    ken Livingstone deserves some recognition as well.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we have had the Labour headline figures...but let's look at the Telegraph and we see some clarification.

How many of the 10,000 sports areas (not pitches, fields or maybe includes sport halls?) were because schools closed?

Off the top of my head we have lost one upper school in the borough I live in and the pitches were taken over by the local trust/private school system.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/schoolsports/9457944/Olympic-legacy-21-school-fields-sold-off-in-two-years.html
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    Yes because it's ALL about the money isn't it....and nothing to do with athletes training or improving over time....

Incidentally the poor showing at Atlanta 1996 had nothing to do with the setting up of the Lottery as it was set up in 1993 and began operating in 1994.

Anyone thinking that the effects of the funding would produce results in only 2 years is a little naive.

Athletes training and improving over time is enabled in part to GB being able to bring in the best coaches now we can offer salary packages that compete with the superpower nations.

I don't play the National Lottery, but my flatmate and I were this week discussing how these Olympics have changed our perspective about the lottery and will be "in it to win it" in future. We no longer see it as a 'no-chance' flutter, but a vital homeland charity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the amount invested in sport was less before the lottery started, then yes, Major should be praised. However, other things have taken place too which have had a detrimental affect on UK sport.

I find it interesting that, whenever I fly to, say, the US or Canada, I see LOADS of sports fields before landing. I'm sure space plays a part in this, but ethos and funding must do too?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the Guardian wrote an editorial the other day in praise of Sir John.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/09/sir-john-major-london-2012-games?newsfeed=true

Whatever you think about his time as PM, he laid the foundations for the success in recent Games and the bid for the 2012 Olympics.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    Yes because it's ALL about the money isn't it....and nothing to do with athletes training or improving over time....Incidentally the poor showing at Atlanta 1996 had nothing to do with the setting up of the Lottery as it was set up in 1993 and began operating in 1994.

Also sports funding is just one small part of the lottery's good causes output. A worthwhile cause, and one I as a sports fan am enjoying reaping the rewards of, but I find it a tad disappointing that crooks like Richard Desmond can hypocritically tap into the lottery market with emotive issues such as health by exploiting the weaknesses of National Lottery good causes, such as seemingly superfluous projects and initiatives which serve little interest or benefit to the public at large.

It's not all about money, of course it isn't, but funding is an important part of the receipe. It doesn't matter how good your eggs are, your cake will fail if you don't have enough flour.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tfan26 wrote: »
    ken Livingstone deserves some recognition as well.

I think a lot of people do. The idea of bringing the Olympics to this country started in the 90's according to a chap on BBC last night. But they didn't want to go up against Greece, and they knew they didn't stand a chance against China. So 2012 it was. Lots of people down the line have been responsible for this great event.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    1996, Atlanta. Remember the ecstasy when Steve Redgrave and Matthew Pinsent won Team GB's solitary gold medal with the coxless pair?

One gold medal, eight silver, six bronze. Those athletes did us proud with the limited funding available.

But the Prime Minister of that time had a vision. Sports success, created by way of funds produced from a National Lottery.

I never once voted for John Major's government and I wouldn't begin to pretend that they were any better than anything that came before or followed afterwards.

But if Tony Blair deserves credit for his part in winning the London bid, then John Major hasn't had enough for creating the foundations upon which the successes of 2012 stand.

There are many things we can knock Major for, but credit where credit is due. The success of Team GB in 2012 ultimately springs from his foresight.

Major might have started the Lottery in 1994 but all the money went locally and not in general to sport. Major was into sport in a big way but his cabinet colleagues thought it was a waste of money.
    It was only in 1997 when Labour got into power that Lottery money was put into sport and the Olympics and it is that legacy we see happening now. You can't put the praise of these Olympics to Major when he played just a small part.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Saw Major at the Velodrome when Hoy won his Keirin gold - never seen him so animated!
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gradually starting to realise that Major may have been a much better guy than he was credited for at the time.

He did most to prepare for the peace in NI. he was the last PM not be afraid to openly support Tibet.

It makes you wonder.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Britain has won its largest amount of medals for 104 years.

It just shows what can be achieved with hard work, dedication and £260million in Lottery funding.

It’s a heartwarming feeling to know that when a single mother in Newcastle blows her last fiver on a scratchcard it goes on hay to feed a £5million gold medal-winning horse.

~ Frankie Boyle
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »

The introduction of the lottery had nothing to do with 'John Major's vision' of Olympic success. The Lottery subsidises arts not just sports, and was introduced as a more feasible approach to funding than using the taxpayer, the idea having already been successful in other European countries. The thought of hosting the Olympics in the mid 1990s wasn't even on the horizon in Major's time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m06een00 wrote: »
    The introduction of the lottery had nothing to do with 'John Major's vision' of Olympic success. The Lottery subsidises arts not just sports, and was introduced as a more feasible approach to funding out than the taxpayer, the idea being copied from other European counties. The thought of hosting the Olympics in the mid 1990s wasn't even on the horizon in Major's time

Exactly. Major was a keen sportsman but his cabinet colleagues did not want lottery money spending on "elite" sports.