BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    Phil Williams tonight....

Christ....how many 13 year olds listen to 5live at anytime of day let alone 2345.....?
    Because are there any sane adults really interested in discussing 1 direction movie & songs etc......God help me is this what it's come to on here??

Why does 5live continually insist on contributing to Simon Cowell' s bank balance/paternity payments by publicizing his crappy product? (I can't call it music by any stretch...don't know who the dopey woman eulogising 1 direction is but she's inane)

Do that many people listen to phill williams full stop. He's 5 lives dull safe pair of hands presenter. Ok but nothing specual or interesting about him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derbyshire does Newsnight while Fogarty gets to appear on Pointless. Where's the justice in that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    It's a deliberate move to cut costs, they officially announced the cut to one commentator in 2012 done gradually over 2012-2014.

It needed the cuts - not actually cuts, more just a trimming of the fat - to make the BBC realise what an anachronistic and wasteful practice this was. Should have been done years ago.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Phil Williams tonight....

Christ....how many 13 year olds listen to 5live at anytime of day let alone 2345.....?
    Because are there any sane adults really interested in discussing 1 direction movie & songs etc......God help me is this what it's come to on here??

Why does 5live continually insist on contributing to Simon Cowell' s bank balance/paternity payments by publicizing his crappy product? (I can't call it music by any stretch...don't know who the dopey woman eulogising 1 direction is but she's inane)

They flew that woman, whoever she is, up to Manchester for that as well. They were talking about it, otherwise I wouldn't have known where she was speaking from. BBC Breakfast also gave One Direction a lot of coverage this morning. I suppose they did at least have the excuse that teenagers might be watching.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derbyshire does Newsnight while Fogarty gets to appear on Pointless. Where's the justice in that?

Derbyshire already has her own Pointless programme most weekdays on Five Misery.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely watch Newsnight these days, but I'm sure Kirsty Wark has been the main female presenter for years. Has she been elbowed out now in favour of VD because I'd find that hard to believe or understand?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,273
    Forum Member
    Well the BBC seems to love brown nosing athletics still a year after the Olympics

They have had athletics on before the Olympics though - its one of the few sports they have full coverage of on radio and TV.
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I rarely watch Newsnight these days, but I'm sure Kirsty Wark has been the main female presenter for years. Has she been elbowed out now in favour of VD because I'd find that hard to believe or understand?

No, Newsnight tends to try out different presenters when the politicians are on holiday whilst their regulars have a break. Eddie Mair is very popular when he does it so I don't know why they don't just stick with him.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    They flew that woman, whoever she is, up to Manchester for that as well. They were talking about it, otherwise I wouldn't have known where she was speaking from. BBC Breakfast also gave One Direction a lot of coverage this morning. I suppose they did at least have the excuse that teenagers might be watching.

That is patently ridiculous for around 20 minutes of pointless chat....
    But as you say yes if teenagers by any remote chance are up to watch BBC breakfast in the summer holidays :rolleyes: (if they even did that it's not T4 is it?)

But if that parallel universe did exist then yes you could almost justify free advertising to Cowell' s crap but late at night on a talk/news/sport station on radio?

They're too busy snapchatting to bother with that and I cannot believe Britain's become that dire that intelligent adults would give a jot......

Still as Williams is a self_confessed Robbie Williams & take that fan I shouldn't be surprised him covering such dross...
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I switched him off as soon as that started, especially when he announced that stupid quiz was back on. It was a far better show when the stand ins were on for the last 2? weeks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched him off as soon as that started, especially when he announced that stupid quiz was back on. It was a far better show when the stand ins were on for the last 2? weeks

you're not wrong...i think a few of us were hoping common sense would prevail and it would be dropped on his return...but hey ho............ :rolleyes:

I believe LBC has covered this no direction pap a lot today as well...

ok partly justified as it's right outside their studio....and as a commercial station they can support what ever corporate bilge they like and it's probably a racket outside! :p

but for 5 live to dribble over it....:o:o woeful.....

have they actually checked their demographic?? :confused::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    you're not wrong...i think a few of us were hoping common sense would prevail and it would be dropped on his return...but hey ho............ :rolleyes:

I believe LBC has covered this no direction pap a lot today as well...

ok partly justified as it's right outside their studio....and as a commercial station they can support what ever corporate bilge they like and it's probably a racket outside! :p

but for 5 live to dribble over it....:o:o woeful.....

have they actually checked their demographic?? :confused::confused:

oh no there is more One Direction on the show today
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5live are meant to appeal to younger people; you'd be surprised to find out how many teens/young adults still listen to the radio at that time of night. Just because an item is not to your personal taste - doesn't mean it shouldn't be covered. One Direction just happen to be one of the biggest UK musical exports at the moment and are successful around the globe. Typical of a UK audience to slag off success though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Livesy sooooooo much better than Campbell.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Livesy sooooooo much better than Campbell.

Agree. I think he should have the Breakfast slot and Phil Williams VD's slot instead of the evening one. Chris Warburton could replace Richard Bacon and I would be happy with that. It won't happen though, as the powers that be would think it was too "blokey".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmlabbd wrote: »
    5live are meant to appeal to younger people; you'd be surprised to find out how many teens/young adults still listen to the radio at that time of night. Just because an item is not to your personal taste - doesn't mean it shouldn't be covered. One Direction just happen to be one of the biggest UK musical exports at the moment and are successful around the globe. Typical of a UK audience to slag off success though...

Do you have the rajar ratings or A mori poll breakdown perhaps of these teen listeners? It would be very interesting to know for sure ......
    They are far more likely to be streaming spotify or last etc than be listening into 5live as a rule.

I'm sorry but "musical" is stretching things a lot...it's not music it's just product.....

and its not slagging off UK success there's plenty of support for real bands in the UK, Mumford,elbow etc. Just not another bunch of managed clones to sell to gullible teens and their parents......
    it's about wondering why the BBC wants to help fatten Simon Cowell' s bank account with so much free nationwide publicity.....

As to this morning a catch up chat with bump club members and how they are coping.....sent me back to sleep anyway.......
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    and its not slagging off UK success there's plenty of support for real bands in the UK, Mumford,elbow etc. Just not another bunch of managed clones to sell to gullible teens and their parents......
    it's about wondering why the BBC wants to help fatten Simon Cowell' s bank account with so much free nationwide publicity.....

Not a fan of One Direction by any means but I can't stand this sort of music snobbery. Elbow are a decent band but Mumford and Sons to me are the emperor's new clothes - somewhere along the line they repackaged some old farm music and got cool kids to lead the charge for it.

I don't buy that you have to write your own songs to be a classic performer. Elvis didn't write his own songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    Agree. I think he should have the Breakfast slot and Phil Williams VD's slot instead of the evening one. Chris Warburton could replace Richard Bacon and I would be happy with that. It won't happen though, as the powers that be would think it was too "blokey".

We listeners (and fee psyers) cannot all be wrong.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Not a fan of One Direction by any means but I can't stand this sort of music snobbery. Elbow are a decent band but Mumford and Sons to me are the emperor's new clothes - somewhere along the line they repackaged some old farm music and got cool kids to lead the charge for it.

I don't buy that you have to write your own songs to be a classic performer. Elvis didn't write his own songs.

Agreed.

Like it or not One Direction have achieved success that a lot of british acts can only dream of. Music is so subjective that everyone has a different opinion but success like that should be covered if its a big event. If I had my way there would be no football or cricket on 5 live but both of these are very popular. I have to accept that my taste isn't the same as other peoples.
    Forum Member
    We listeners (and fee psyers) cannot all be wrong.

You're speaking on behalf of everyone now, are you? That's interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I'd stopped listening to 5live Breakfast for over a year. The combination Nicky Campbell or Rachel Burden had made it lurch from fatuous to boorish and Today was a much better option.

Listened to it accidentally yesterday and was really pleasantly surprised. Not sure who presented but it was the aforementioned. Much much insightful and much better produced.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could bang on about what I don't like on 5 misery but I thought I would give a thumbs up to Chris Warburton's Saturday evening "Saturday Edition"show.
    Saturday TV is so bad that this show as become a regular listen for me.:)

As for that one Direction I have archive video footage of the Bay City Rollers and their screaming girl fans being covered by the main BBC TV news in the seventies.:)

Todays kids deserve their future memory's as well.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    You're speaking on behalf of everyone now, are you? That's interesting.

With regard to Derbyshire Cambell Burden Savage and Wright I think I actually do. Listening figures are and will confirm.

Livesly Oldroyd Warburton Mayo Garvey Glover etc in the correct slots please.

I hope your blinkers are not hurting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    When are Kermode/Mayo coming back ?
    Forum Member
    With regard to Derbyshire Cambell Burden Savage and Wright I think I actually do. Listening figures are and will confirm.

Livesly Oldroyd Warburton Mayo Garvey Glover etc in the correct slots please.

I hope your blinkers are not hurting.

Well I'm incredibly unbothered by any of the presenters you've named, so you don't speak for everyone. Sorry.

As for some of the presenters you mention ... Mayo immediately springs to mind. What if he doesn't want to return to a five day a week news show and is quite happy playing songs on Radio 2?
This discussion has been closed.