Options

prefabs

Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
Forum Member
with the social housing situation getting worst,why cant they build some prefabs,i lived in one in swansea in gendros think they are still there,cheap to build very cosy,

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    with the social housing situation getting worst,why cant they build some prefabs,i lived in one in swansea in gendros think they are still there,cheap to build very cosy,

'Cheap' is a very relative term, and pre-fabs aren't particularly cheap these days. You also need VERY expensive land to build them on.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actual building costs of a house are normally about 1/3rd the actual costs when you factor in land costs and the running in of gas/elec/water/sewage etc

But really any good council land for housing has probably been sold off already so all they're left with is contaminated land and places with dodgy buildings that are gonna cost a fortune to knock down due to asbestos etc
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to be a site of Prefabs in Nth London ( I think Hackney) I worked on a couple , advising/ showing council workmen how to fit new solid fuel stove to replace original obsolete stove. I think all the roads were named with Scottish place names. I know the residents loved them and didn't want them demolished. Anyone remember them?.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Prefab Sprout
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You also need VERY expensive land to build them on.

It's going to be expensive whether is bricks and mortar or prefab!

Councils should take the most cost effective route.
  • Options
    TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I'm the king of rock'n roll completely
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Prefabs are generally only supposed to last for ten years or so, depending on the quaility of the build.

Why build prefabs when they can build proper houses that are good for many decades?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OH grew up on an estate of 'prefabs' which was known locally as Tin Town, a bit like these.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/5/22/1337692589320/Tin-Town-008.jpg

They were very spacious, well designed 3 bed semis and the only real draw back was noise issues which have now been resolved. They were only intended to last 30 years after the war but are now being sold for not much less than a traditional build. As others have said, land costs are a problem but outside of big conubations they could still be a credible answer to our housing problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You silly old Hot dog, jumping frog, you!

;):D
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i lived in an airey prefab, it was dreadful, walls like cardboard that the handle went through
    if you opened the door too wide, the metal ones further up were even worse, extremely damp and rusting, i hope they`ve improved a bit since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i lived in an airey prefab, it was dreadful, walls like cardboard that the handle went through
    if you opened the door too wide, the metal ones further up were even worse, extremely damp and rusting, i hope they`ve improved a bit since.

I think they have. There's a lot like the one on the left in your pic in the outlying villages where I live now. I think to get a mortgage on one they have to do certain upgrades like putting a brick outer in place. As for cardboard walls, lot's of 60's 70's and 80's houses were like that. Now they still use stud walls but the insulation has improved.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Someone beat me to it! :(
This discussion has been closed.