Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I don't remember the original being funny

well Dark Shadows wasn't a comedy originally either
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opened second in the US this weekend behind Despicable Me 2 and only took in $48.9m compared to DM2's $142m. Variety's report is calling it "disappointing" since it cost $225m to make and earned less on it's opening weekend than John Carter did last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I honestly believe Johnny Depp is one of the most limited actors, especially considering how praised he is. He approaches almost all of his characters in the same way, a bit of a weird and kooky personality. There's almost no variation and there's really no range.

The fact that he's playing Tonto as Jack Sparrow, Willy Wonka and the Mad Hatter is a testament to that.

Flop of the summer I predict.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well Dark Shadows wasn't a comedy originally either

And look how well that did
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Opened second in the US this weekend behind Despicable Me 2 and only took in $48.9m compared to DM2's $142m. Variety's report is calling it "disappointing" since it cost $225m to make and earned less on it's opening weekend than John Carter did last year.

Oh dear. Since it doesn't look like TLR might take off
    in foreign markets, looks like a flop alright.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Interesting "Vulture" piece by Gilbert Cruz that argues that TLR is a symptom of a bigger
    malasise in mainstream US cinema:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/lone-ranger-is-everything-wrong-with-hollywood.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lone_ranger/

25%...ouch!

Having seen the trailer it left me cold...when the top billing actor is the one in the "support role" something is wrong - I have no idea who is playing the Lone Ranger.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    is he as good at comedy as Depp tho ?

Tone is one of the biggest problems with the movie. It's not really a comedy, and the comedy parts don't gel well with what is happening in the movie. Tonto shouldn't have been funny.

However, my biggest problem with the movie was:
    They spend half the movie making Butch out to be the big bad guy. He's a cannibal! Yet, halfway through the movie they switch tacks and now the railroad guy is the big bad, and in the end Butch survives and gets away and everyone forgets about him!
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    And look how well that did

yeah it was good .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Link (Italian): http://www.mymovies.it/boxoffice/

In Italy, it made €1.420 million, which translates to 216,929 audiences. That is quite average, considering the blockbuster expectations. This opened lower than Man of Steel (€1.819m) and World War Z (€2.020m). In Australia, it opened with AU$3.556m and in NZ, it made NZ$493k in its first week. They would have to make spectacular openings in rest of Europe and international territories, which releases throughout July and August and have a great staying power to even make back the budget now.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Why Friday?Lone Ranger isn't out in the UK untill the 9th August as for some reason it isn't out this week in the UK even though there is no big blockbuster out this week!

So Mark Kermode won't review it untill the 9th August
    I think they were assuming Disney wouldn't screw us over again...

Apparently, America is the only market that matters...

A move that is only going to cause Disney to screw themselves, a mate of mine apparently has a high quality TS of this film & is due to bring it around to watch with me tomorrow night.

When will studios ever learn not to screw with the GB public. Disney done it with The Avengers, a move that caused me to import the uncut version from America & Fox done it with the latest Die Hard, even tho I paid to see it at the cinema, I also downloaded the uncut version for free as soon as a rip became available. They butchered the film for a UK release, so that kiddies could see it, so myself like thousands of others illegally downloaded the film to butcher their pockets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    A move that is only going to cause Disney to screw themselves, a mate of mine apparently has a high quality TS of this film & is due to bring it around to watch with me tomorrow night.

When will studios ever learn not to screw with the GB public. Disney done it with The Avengers, a move that caused me to import the uncut version from America & Fox done it with the latest Die Hard, even tho I paid to see it at the cinema, I also downloaded the uncut version for free as soon as a rip became available. They butchered the film for a UK release, so that kiddies could see it, so myself like thousands of others illegally downloaded the film to butcher their pockets.
    They won't, we're a big market (I think it was third in the world outside the US - don't quote me on that though), but not big enough for them to give a shit. We're also not upcoming like China so we don't get special attention.

The Disney BD/DVD situation stems from our European location, they'd rather cram multiple dubs on the one disc and screw people over than release a different master for each country.

I saw a Disney BD earlier with Belgian as a language, I can guarantee nobody speaks Belgian (primarily because it doesn't exist), I think that shows just how much attention they pay to the European home entertainment market...

And the Die Hard situation comes from the fact Fox are greedy bastards and the British system doesn't allow them to do that and release the film uncut. So they cut it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking at the reviews on imdb - the first couple of weeks there were mostly bad reviews , then the last couple of weeks it's been getting great reviews .
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read an article, that this is film is set to lose Disney a lot of money. It is expected to be this year's John Carter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that article says its been out 2 weeks , but according to box office mojo its been out less than a week .
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deadline.com has said the stock market doesn't care in any case- episode VII is the alpha & omega at Disney currently; the beginning and the end.
    Forum Member
    that article says its been out 2 weeks , but according to box office mojo its been out less than a week .

It opened at the Hyperion on June 22nd.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another interesting piece on Depp's recent choice of films. Like many, I'm going to give this a miss, even though it's already paid for via my Cineworld Unlimited card. Looks total crap and I'm sick of his weird shtick.

http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/07/lone-ranger-young-johnny-depp-would-hate-old-johnny-depp.html
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Don't think i like any TV show thats been made into a movie. The originals are usually so good. Big budget doesnt mean a good movie.
    Wild wild west was the worst ever remake.
    Hope they keep the theme music. One of the best themes ever!
    Either than or Quantum Jump !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hchOYs_d_Bw
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Another interesting piece on Depp's recent choice of films. Like many, I'm going to give this a miss, even though it's already paid for via my Cineworld Unlimited card. Looks total crap and I'm sick of his weird shtick.

http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/07/lone-ranger-young-johnny-depp-would-hate-old-johnny-depp.html

I am glad people are picking up on this

The Rum Diary, Lone ranger, The Tourist, Dark Shadows and maybe several others for me have actually harmed his career personally. Despite it's huge box office takings, I thought his performance in Alice was disappointing and yet he got a golden globe nomination (although i wouldn't put it past Tim burton making sure that happened)
    Forum Member
    If you want to see a *good* western with Johnny Depp, watch Dead Man instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_64Qv0jV_PY
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad people are picking up on this

The Rum Diary, Lone ranger, The Tourist, Dark Shadows and maybe several others for me have actually harmed his career personally. Despite it's huge box office takings, I thought his performance in Alice was disappointing and yet he got a golden globe nomination (although i wouldn't put it past Tim burton making sure that happened)
    I'm not so sure about that. I think Depp is - to a certain extent - one of those 'un-touchable' actors, who, like Tom Cruise and Will Smith, can - and do - have many turkeys, but still command mega-bucks and high-profile films. I don't think any us can really know if the likes of The Tourist have harmed his career, but I really can't imagine any studio thinking "Well, we can get Depp, but is he a safe bet? Did you see Dark Shadows?" (which although not a great film, had a great performance from Depp I thought). Any studio that can get Depp for their film will gladly have him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    It opened at the Hyperion on June 22nd.

I assume thats one cinema , that doesn't really count as the 'release' .