EU election , ballot paper confusion ?

HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just voted . First thing I noticed , at the very top of the ballot paper ,
An Independance from Europe party .
Because of the A in An , it guarantees them at the top of the paper .
How many people would be confused and think that is UKIP and put a cross in that box ?
I would say a lot of people could make that mistake , especially the ederly .

Comments

• AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many people would be confused and think that is UKIP and put a cross in that box ?

Don't malign they elderly - they might have aged they haven't lost their marbles.

Only an illiterate fool would put the X in the wrong box.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Intelligent people would read through the entire list.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was set up last November by an ex-UKIP MEP no doubt mischievously and UKIP have complained about it. In a way it hardly matters as they are for getting out of the EU but apparently they have all an women list in the North West so I won't vote for them.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    A lot is being made of this - but it's actually far easier to find UKIP as it's at the bottom of the ballot paper. In London when you unfold the long ballot paper UKIP appears as the only party at the last stage of the unfold.

It may have a marginal impact - but in my opinion it's far harder to find the other main parties who are in the middle.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say a lot of people could make that mistake

You don't seem to have much faith in the intelligence of the British electorate.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Do we normally not wait until after the vote before making excuses? :confused:

Nice to see you have such a high opinion of your fellow Ukipers if you think they are that easily fooled.
  • richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Do we normally not wait until after the vote before making excuses? :confused:

Nice to see you have such a high opinion of your fellow Ukipers if you think they are that easily fooled.

To be fair, it's not quite as good an excuse as when the BNP blamed people voting against them for their failure to win any seats in the general election! If it wasn't for those pesky voters they'd have got away with it!
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    But but but...Google is subliminally making people vote for UKIP... it's a conspiracy I tell yer...

http://order-order.com/2014/05/22/google-backs-ukip/
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the No 2 AV campaign argued that the electorate were too thick to count to 3 and rank their preferences on the ballot paper and the electorate agreed with them, so...
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The electoral commission would never allow A Labour party or A Conservative party. If UKIP lose by a narrow margin, this party's votes will be counted.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    The electoral commission would never allow A Labour party or A Conservative party. If UKIP lose by a narrow margin, this party's votes will be counted.
    Who will count them? Maybe people want to vote for an exit from Europe without voting for the UK Xenophobic Party
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a good job that this party haven't called themselves 'A United Kingdom Independence Party' then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The electoral commission saw nothing wrong with the name but then back in 1992 they allowed a party to stand in an EU election under the name The Literal Democrats which the Lib Dems said cost them the seat.
  • MarshiMarshi Posts: 405
    Forum Member

I recall that in their flyer, UKIP highlighted that they would be at the bottom of the ballot paper. I never noticed any other party do this so perhaps UKIP were worried some voters would make a mistake?
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    It's definitely been done to take votes away from UKIP.

I wonder if a part called The Democratic Liberals, or The Conserve Actives, or maybe the Labourers Party would be allowed?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The registration of policical parties act was introduced to stop this kind of spoilering, UKIP have complained but I suppose they haven't actually fallen foul of the law as it stands.
    The main parties shouldn't get too smug if UKIP lose votes in this way, as they are still votes against the EU and maybe seen as anti establishment votes too.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

I wonder if a part called The Democratic Liberals, or The Conserve Actives, or maybe the Labourers Party would be allowed?

Very good point . I was under the impression that even in a straight forward GE people make mistakes on the ballot paper , so in this instance I can see it happening quite a lot .
    It's the same as there being a a candidate for the liberals and another for the liberal democrats . I lived in a country recently where most people voted for the symbol of the party , like a horse , or fish , not so much the name .
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next year I'm going to create the Conservatory Party. Free conservatories for all if I win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Next year I'm going to create the Conservatory Party. Free conservatories for all if I win.

Don't go throwing any stones. ;-)
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Literal Democrats were allowed to stand for some election or other in the past.

I agree that the only reason stunts like this are pulled are to try and skew the result and it shouldn't be allowed.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What confuses me is why UKIP are trying so hard to get MEP's, I thought they wanted the UK to leave the EU.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose I am being paranoid, but what if this party was set up by activists from one of the main party's or the media and is just a front to siphon off votes from UKIP.

A few week ago I would have said that was ridiculous, but now I am not so sure.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What confuses me is why UKIP are trying so hard to get MEP's, I thought they wanted the UK to leave the EU.

The expenses
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So they can cause some bother in the EU parliament, meanwhile the most pro-EU party, the Lib Dems, look to be heading for a near wipeout. ;-)
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I suppose I am being paranoid, but what if this party was set up by activists from one of the main party's or the media and is just a front to siphon off votes from UKIP.

A few week ago I would have said that was ridiculous, but now I am not so sure.

You may well be right.

They are that desperate.