Options

Cat on First Floor Window Ledge

ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
Forum Member
✭✭
I was woken up to a bit of a noise at 3 am this morning, and realised it was my cat OUTSIDE my bedroom window, pawing at the glass. He had walked out of the open window and along the ledge, and then couldn't seem to work out how to get back inside. It's the first floor, so he couldn't jump down. He is too fat to turn around, and he was too far away for me to reach him. I called gently and he turned his head to me and looked confused, but just stood there for ages shuffling his feet about, until I got a packet of cat treats and shook them a bit. He then shuffled backwards to the window and climbed back in, and was fine.

I assumed it was a one-off, but my neighbour has just told me that 'oh, I saw your cat outside your window the other night... he likes that doesn't he? He's been there a few times..' and now I'm a bit freaked out that he's going to fall.

Should I just stop worrying, and assume he knows what he's doing? Should I shut the window at all times just in case? It's horrendously hot at the moment and sleeping is hard enough without having the windows shut... but at the same time, I can't sleep if I'm worrying about a cat with a death wish.

Does anyone have any bright ideas for a way I could block the window without stopping what little cool air there is getting in?

If it's relevant, he's about 7 and a is a fatty and not very agile. If it was my outside cat, I wouldn't be at all anxious, as he runs along fences, climbs trees, leaps off my shed and all sorts. The window fiend is a much more sedentary boy!

Comments

• Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have two indoor cats and was very worried about them falling out of upstairs windows. It is difficult in this weather as you need to get air in. I bought some child window locks from amazon. You have to fit them to the window but they are really good. You can adjust them to how you want. I did mine so that the smallest of the two cats can't get through.

Here is the link to the ones I bought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penkid-Safety-Window-Restrictor-Single/dp/B00D6GIFY8/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1406381414&sr=1-1&keywords=window+locks
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could get some pet screens put on the windows. I got some a few years ago when i lived in a flat on the 4th floor and the cats kept going out on the roof.
    They were removable as well.
    http://www.streme.co.uk/pet-screens/?gclid=CLfswvTm478CFYvLtAod22MAsg
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    You could get some pet screens put on the windows. I got some a few years ago when i lived in a flat on the 4th floor and the cats kept going out on the roof.
    They were removable as well.
    http://www.streme.co.uk/pet-screens/?gclid=CLfswvTm478CFYvLtAod22MAsg

I made my own. Just bought a roll of zinc mesh fly-screen off ebay for £30 & made screens for 3 windows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone! I can actually lock my window in an open position which would stop him getting out, but it's so close to being shut that it's hardly worth it. The screens look fab!

I am experimenting today with a bit of voile across the bottom half of the window (so I can still open and shut the window without removing it) stuck down with double sided tape for now. If it holds, I'll tidy it up a bit later.
  • Options
    auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    I am led to believe that any cat will usually be okay if it falls from the first floor, providing it is over 12-18 months old.
    The big danger is of kittens falling out of windows, but mature cats know how to land and are not as fragile.

Anything higher than the first floor and then there might be injuries and fractures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    My lad does this too. He is 8 and "big" too. But my lad gets scared and then I panic in case he falls onto the concrete below. I now just open my windows a couple of inches so I can get some fresh air in but I know he is safe. He is quite happy to sit on the window sill and watch out the window instead, thank god.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to update - the voile has worked perfectly. He can't get out but the air can still circulate. I know cats in general are pretty agile, but I do not believe he could manage a fall from a first floor onto concrete, and I do believe he could slip easily - it's a narrow plastic ledge and he isn't at all agile and was trying to shuffle in backwards. But worries over, the voile is holding in place and he can't get out. He sits in front of it, so he obviously likes the breeze.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I am experimenting today with a bit of voile across the bottom half of the window (so I can still open and shut the window without removing it) stuck down with double sided tape for now. If it holds, I'll tidy it up a bit later.
    I feel for you and understand your worry :) but a bit of voile stuck down with double-sided tape is not a safe cover for an open window. We have plastic mesh mossie screens in frames, screwed into the stonework and still the cats will claw the mesh.

If your cat leaned too heavily against the voile the double-sided tape would give; if your cat clawed at the fabric (and cats do claw curtains, for eg) you may have a cat trying to go out on the ledge trailing fabric round its legs.

I understand your desire to prevent your cat going out - I speak as the owner of a flying cat who thought nothing of launching himself out of a first floor window at a full run... because he'd seen a bird fly past :confused: but any preventative measures need to be robust and not have the potential to cause a worse problem than it is supposed to solve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hm... I see what you're saying. I really don't think he can get it down (the tape was only the first day, it's a tougher glue now) and he certainly doesn't seem to be trying to get outside now the fabric's there, but I'll see if I can make something more robust. Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mine used to do this, going from house to house down the road. I used to see groups of people watching something and look out the window and its my bloody cat thinking she is super cat. In the end I pinned the net curtain to the frame so she couldn't get out anymore.