Childrens names

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
Forum Member
Reading up on childrens names, it seems like all the older names are in fashion, Emily, Iily, Emma, Olivia. I called my little girl Sarah, she's 2.
Do you think names from the 70s would ever come back into fashion? Eg Sharon, Tracey, Jennifer, Rodger, mark, iain?

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see some almighty bloody stupid names around nowadays, so I guess anythings possible.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snow.drop wrote: »
    Reading up on childrens names, it seems like all the older names are in fashion, Emily, Iily, Emma, Olivia. I called my little girl Sarah, she's 2.
    Do you think names from the 70s would ever come back into fashion? Eg Sharon, Tracey, Jennifer, Rodger, mark, iain?

Since Mark is biblical and Ian is a version of Gaelic for John and has been around forever I doubt either of them will go out of fashion. 70s they are not. :D
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had an aunt Jennifer , born in 1914 . i went to school with a Jennifer , born 1955 . I worked with two Jennifers , born in the 60's
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also Sharon is a Hebrew name. Roger and Tracy are Anglo Saxon.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to come around when previously fashionable names are seen as old names, so probably 70s names will be fashionable again in 30 years or so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Wasn't sure when these names dated,I was born in the 70s so these names were very popular in my school classes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't sure when these names dated,I was born in the 70s so these names were very popular in my school classes.

I think they come in 30/40 year cycles. :)

In the 50s it was Margaret's Elizabeth's Anne's etc. also Isobel and Mary were popular.
    Forum Member
    You see some almighty bloody stupid names around nowadays, so I guess anythings possible.

Haha some of the names round just now are bloody awful!! Jackson, Harrison, meadow, and so on.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha some of the names round just now are bloody awful!! Jackson, Harrison, meadow, and so on.

We have a Harrison in our extended family and I Don't like the name although it seems to be the trend to use surnames as first names. Like Harrison, Brandon, Paris, Brooklyn, Maddison etc.
    Forum Member
    Suppose it comes down to your personal taste really.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How very dare you!
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have kids, but I think that if I did, I'd probably go for names that were common amongst people who are around my own age. I see them as "normal" and what names "should be" and would have no desire to be new or different when it comes to naming a child. If everyone thought like me then I suppose names would never come in and out of fashion.
    Forum Member
    How very dare you!

Hahaha so sorry! 😊😊😊😊
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Lara and Galia are unusual names recently given to my sister's grandchildren.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

I knew quite a few Laras when I was a kid. I think the trend was due to Julie Christie/Lara in an epic film, Dr. Zhivago.

Edited:
    Same with Tanya and Tonya due to Rita Tushingham/Tonya, come to think of it.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I knew quite a few Laras when I was a kid. I think the trend was due to Julie Christie/Lara in an epic film, Dr. Zhivago.

May well have been back then, but my nephew was unaware of the Lara in Dr Zhivago!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have baby girls around here called Ivy, Ethel and Martha. They sound like little old ladies already.:D
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I guess it depends where in the UK you live.
    Everyone around here seems to be calling their daughters Ffion.

When I was in school the top names for girls were Catrin and Lowri.
    And for boys - Owain and Rhys. There were 7 Rhyses in my year!
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever met anyone with my name who is younger than me, sad really as I think it's a nice name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    We have baby girls around here called Ivy, Ethel and Martha. They sound like little old ladies already.:D

My 2 year old niece is Martha. :o I was very surprised indeed.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Names do seem to go in cycles and no one usually wants to use names from their parents generation. They usually skip 2 or 3 generations. Names from the 70s will probably come back into fashion again in time.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a kid, old ladies were called Doris and Elsie and Ethel and Agnes and names like that.
    Donna and Tracey and Sharon and Sandra will be old lady names before much longer.

I suppose what you think of as an old lady name depends on how old you are yourself. Names have always gone in and out of fashion.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May well have been back then, but my nephew was unaware of the Lara in Dr Zhivago!

Of course. I was referring to your use of 'unusual'. :D

I think names that end with 'ara' were fashionable back then, actually. Kara, Cara, Tara, Lara, Sara, Zara, Dara and less commonly, Mara. I knew them all. :D But yeah, Lara, Sara and Tara were extremely popular. Weirdly, I never met a Clara until my late teens.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't call Lara an unusual name.
    I know a few Laras... One is 28, one is 22 and one is 17.
    Lara is number 108 on the girls name list for 2013.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There was a lad on the news the other day discussing his A-Level results.

His name was Chrisey